Gary Johnson Stands up to Sean Hannity Over Marijuana Legalization

Jacob Bell

Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson, a GOP candidate for president, refused to back down from Fox News' Sean Hannity on the issue of legalizing marijuana last night.

In a 20-minute segment on Hannity's show, Johnson fared relatively well in an interview with the host who oscillated between complimentary stances and antagonistic stances.

Hannity called Johnson a "lesser known" candidate who is a "big underdog," but was generally hospitable to Johnson's ideas -- except when it came to drug legalization.

"There's not one thing you've said so far that I disagree with," Hannity said, before getting into the decriminalization of drugs.

That's when Hannity said the discussion got "heated."

"Half of what we spend on law enforcement, the courts and the prisons is drug related and to what end?" Johnson asked. "$70 billion per year. We're arresting 1.8 million people a year in this country. And, we now have 2.3 million people behind bars. We have the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world."

Johnson said he's evaluated the issue from a "cost-benefit analysis" standpoint and determined decriminalization to be the wisest route.

Johnson compared marijuana to alcohol and said there was a difference between the two.

"Marijuana is a lot safer than alcohol," he said.

Hannity disagreed, and later referred to Johnson's views on this issue as "repugnant" and a "moral destruction" to the "human soul."

He said he didn't want the state to become "a pusher" and create "a bunch of junkies."

Johnson then told Hannity that, statistically speaking, one of his two kids would use marijuana at some point in their lives -- and he would rather parents dealt with the issue, rather than the courts.

"I don't want our kids criminalized," Johnson said.

After Johnson brought up examples in Europe in which drug decriminalization was successful, Hannity said "we're not going to agree on this issue."

You can watch the exchange below. It's toward the end of the segment.

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: baltimoresun.com
Author: Luke Broadwater
Copyright: The Baltimore Sun
Website: Gary Johnson stands up to Sean Hannity over marijuana legalization

"I don't want our kids criminalized," Johnson said.
Excellent. Totally right on target. Our kids are not criminals for using herb. They naturally intuit that herb is better for them than any of the pharmaceuticals pumped into them.
Check out "endocannabinoid regulatory system." Cannabis, the plant, contains phyto-cannabinoids (phyto = plant sourced) which are natural supplements to our endo-cannabinoid system. (endo = manufactured by our own body.) When we are a quart low, herb augments. The brilliant part is; we manufacture two kinds of endocannabinoids - kinda boring. So, when we go to the buffet table, and see 60, 80, maybe 100 different phytocannabinoids to choose from...well, that's just awesome.
Now, it's up to us to field test what strains have what cannabinoids, which ones are good for autism, ADHD, whatever it is our kids need, and then make it legally safe for parents to grow whatever it is our kids need and make an edible for their breakfast.

Excellent. Totally right on target. Our kids are not criminals for using herb. They naturally intuit that herb is better for them than any of the pharmaceuticals pumped into them.
Check out "endocannabinoid regulatory system." Cannabis, the plant, contains phyto-cannabinoids (phyto = plant sourced) which are natural supplements to our endo-cannabinoid system. (endo = manufactured by our own body.) When we are a quart low, herb augments. The brilliant part is; we manufacture two kinds of endocannabinoids - kinda boring. So, when we go to the buffet table, and see 60, 80, maybe 100 different phytocannabinoids to choose from...well, that's just awesome.
Now, it's up to us to field test what strains have what cannabinoids, which ones are good for autism, ADHD, whatever it is our kids need, and then make it legally safe for parents to grow whatever it is our kids need and make an edible for their breakfast.

I discussed this with my mother kind of, I would really like to start a small side project where I would breed to LOW LOW LOW THC levels, and high quantities of other terpenoids.
The purpose would be for making extracts for people with my disease (or others) who are still young and have their brains still developing.. THC can effect the hippocampus from what I have read, and that does scare me for youngin's.. But the other things in cannabis are amazing too, and can help LOTS of people, and it SHOULD.
It doesn't seem like the pharma companies are doing what scientists keep saying about "certain isolated cannabinoids could be a miracle cure for _________ disease!"
So I say... Lets do it with our plants people!

Great article, listening to this guy, I would vote for him! :high-five: Seems totally pro at leading.

I discussed this with my mother kind of, I would really like to start a small side project where I would breed to LOW LOW LOW THC levels, and high quantities of other terpenoids.

Exactly right. THC was identified back in the 60s in Israel as the active ingredient in the high, and everyone started breeding for higher THC content, totally unaware of all the other cannabinoids and their benefits. I'd like to see you go back to some of the original land race strains because they are the result of thousands of years of selection for overall health, i'm thinking. Tho, the high THC from India was used as an aide for teaching meditation to young monks in training. We definitely should investigate the old strains.

Edit to say; Western medicine tries to isolate one compound, synthesize it, and inject it with a hypodermic needle. or pill.
Herbal medicine gives the body the whole array of compounds and the body takes what it needs. The body knows much better than we ever will. Just like sitting down to a balanced meal is better than just taking vitamin pills as nourishment.

Great article, listening to this guy, I would vote for him! Seems totally pro at leading.
Right, it's rare someone will stand up and fight for their convictions, especially when they're not the accepted dogma, but something radically new (or in this case, rediscovering something quite ancient). Yeah, that's leadership! And to shout down FOX, well, that's not often done. Well done.

Back
Top Bottom