Gary Johnson Stands up to Sean Hannity Over Marijuana Legalization

Jacob Bell

Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson, a GOP candidate for president, refused to back down from Fox News' Sean Hannity on the issue of legalizing marijuana last night.

In a 20-minute segment on Hannity's show, Johnson fared relatively well in an interview with the host who oscillated between complimentary stances and antagonistic stances.

Hannity called Johnson a "lesser known" candidate who is a "big underdog," but was generally hospitable to Johnson's ideas -- except when it came to drug legalization.

"There's not one thing you've said so far that I disagree with," Hannity said, before getting into the decriminalization of drugs.

That's when Hannity said the discussion got "heated."

"Half of what we spend on law enforcement, the courts and the prisons is drug related and to what end?" Johnson asked. "$70 billion per year. We're arresting 1.8 million people a year in this country. And, we now have 2.3 million people behind bars. We have the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world."

Johnson said he's evaluated the issue from a "cost-benefit analysis" standpoint and determined decriminalization to be the wisest route.

Johnson compared marijuana to alcohol and said there was a difference between the two.

"Marijuana is a lot safer than alcohol," he said.

Hannity disagreed, and later referred to Johnson's views on this issue as "repugnant" and a "moral destruction" to the "human soul."

He said he didn't want the state to become "a pusher" and create "a bunch of junkies."

Johnson then told Hannity that, statistically speaking, one of his two kids would use marijuana at some point in their lives -- and he would rather parents dealt with the issue, rather than the courts.

"I don't want our kids criminalized," Johnson said.

After Johnson brought up examples in Europe in which drug decriminalization was successful, Hannity said "we're not going to agree on this issue."

You can watch the exchange below. It's toward the end of the segment.

Gov. Gary Johnson, Hannity Show

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: baltimoresun.com
Author: Luke Broadwater
Copyright: The Baltimore Sun
Website: Gary Johnson stands up to Sean Hannity over marijuana legalization

"repugnant" and a "moral destruction" to the "human soul." Crazy talk infecting millions of People Daily. Thanks for the Story.

You never realize how ignorant some people are until they open their mouth. Not to say that he can't be re educated. On the lighter side, I think I know who I'm voting for.

I think that Mr Hannity did not say legalizing marijuana was out of the question. He feels that legalizing other illegal drugs "hard drugs" is a crazy idea. He id say that marijuana was a different class of drug.

I think public education is a key to helping people that have a problem with stuff like cocaine, crack and other hard drugs, and also Rx drug additions as well. When all you do as a country is lock people up and not try and help them them you are doing no good.
Just my 2 cents.

He's at least willing to talk about it so was obama when he was running for prez thou?

Back
Top Bottom