Gavita 1000e Series - A Doc Bud Journal/Review

Yep!

Picture_001356.jpg
Picture_012230.jpg

I've got two of these covering a 4x8 tray. As of right now, I've only got six plants under the lights. I'm still testing the environment and tweaking controls but so far the lights seem to put out very little extra heat, when compared to vented HID's or even some LED's!

They cost about 450 to 500 bucks each, including the bulbs. Ballasts are already attached.

The lights can be linked together with a Gavita Master Controller, which will turn them on/off individually and auto-dim if temps get too high. This auto-dim feature is absolutely fantastic!

They put out so much light I actually believe I could get a sunburn under them!

Picture_017140.jpg
Picture_016147.jpg
Picture_015183.jpg
Picture_014208.jpg
Picture_013208.jpg
Picture_020128.jpg
Picture_010256.jpg
Picture_008264.jpg
Picture_007292.jpg
Picture_006312.jpg

As I get more plants ready to place under the lights, I'll update accordingly.

Folks, these lights are in another league....

I thought I'd take a second to say a few things about these lights AND a few things about the sponsor who provided the lights: Growitbest - Hydroponic Garden Supplies at Huge Discounts

Grow It Best was founded in 2012 by two Humboldt County gardeners with over 20 years of combined experience. Their motto was give exceptional customer service and great deals to each customer and they'll be much more likely to come back, and it's worked. Growitbest.com offers thousands of hydroponic gardening supplies just above the wholesale costs. As always, the is no sales tax, shipping is fast and discrete!

Feel free to browse our huge inventory of nutrients and supplements from General Hydroponics, Roots Organics, Botanicare, Humboldt County's Own, Humboldt Nutrients, Fox Farm, BioAg, General Organics, Nectar for the Gods, and many more.

We also carry tons of indoor gardening equipment including reflectors, fluorescent lights, Metal Halide and HPS bulbs, LED fixtures, inline and oscillating fans, carbon filters, smart pots, containers, jars, titan controllers, co2 regulators, magnetic and digital ballasts, hydroponic pumps, tubing, rockwool, coco, soil, perlite, and TONS more!

This company understands our needs. They provide excellent products at rock bottom prices and on top of that they have customer service! I love Growitbest.com.

Look at these deals:

Gavita Pro 6/750de Flex 383.90!! :thumb: Free shipping! :thanks:

Gavita Pro 1000e DE $464.20!!

Gavita Master Controller EL2 Use this to control several lights all at once, and use the auto-dim feature (included in every Pro de series) so that if your temps get high, the lights automatically dim (NOT SHUT DOWN) until temps are in range again.

There are other lights and controllers as well. I highly recommend perusing this fantastic sponsor's website and encourage everyone to check their prices and shipping policies BEFORE purchasing elsewhere. These guys know who we are and what we do!

Glad to be along for the ride with this one. Those fan leaves are looking bigger then normal as well, Id say its a great start to this grow:Rasta:

I'm down. Somewhat confused on amp draw, 1k should pull a bit more like 9.7 but maybe that's just very efficient.

Cheers

I was looking at the box in pix 1. But I'm a HID guy so it's good to see another brother killing it too.

Cheers

:popcorn:

I could never get passed the startup cost of LED's. These lights look very attractive at there current price point.
Not to mention that most plants grown under LED lights are small. 1 to 2 zips are not worth the effort. My smallest plant this grow gave up 116g dry. Modest but worthwhile.

Cheers

Not to mention that most plants grown under LED lights are small. 1 to 2 zips are not worth the effort. My smallest plant this grow gave up 116g dry. Modest but worthwhile.

Cheers

Not true RE LED. I'm using the latest tech from two LED companies and I'm getting 4-5 oz per plant no problem. Large plants, thick stems, dense buds.

My only.....ONLY complaint about LED is the bleaching of tops. Gavita's won't do that.

Very happy to join in on this grow Doc!

Here is some cool info I found on DE efficiency.
"A single-ended HPS bulb from Philips produces 1550 micromoles
A double-ended HPS bulb from Philips produces 2100 micromoles
Typical ballasts have the option of running a 1000 watt bulb at 1150 watts, this would increase the micromoles of the DE bulb to 2415 micromoles (estimated).
4' x 4' equals 16 square feet. Using a single-ended bulb at 1000 watts results in about 97 micromoles per square feet.

4' x 5' equals 20 square feet. Using a double-ended bulb at 1000 watts, results in 105 micromoles per square feet.

5' x 5' equals 25 square feet. Using a double-ended bulb at 1150 watts, results in about 97 micromoles per square feet.

As you can see, by switching to DE bulbs, it is possible to get the same amount of micromoles per square foot when growing on a 4' x 4' light footprint as a 5' x 5' light footprint.

By increasing the light footprint in this manner, it is also possible to decrease the amount of equipment — ballasts, bulbs and reflectors — needed in the grow room. In a room with 1600 square feet of canopy, 100 reflectors would be needed if using a 4' x 4' configuration, while only 64 reflectors would be needed if using a 5' x 5' configuration.

This equals a 36% decrease in the amount of lighting equipment needed, which can result in huge up-front savings. Additionally, the 100 reflectors with single-ended bulbs needed for a 4' x 4' configuration would require a total of 100,000 watts. Whereas the 64 reflectors with double-ended bulbs needed for a 5' x 5' configuration would only require a total of 73,600 watts. The wattage difference alone will save you 26% of your lighting electricity costs each month."

Very happy to join in on this grow Doc!

Here is some cool info I found on DE efficiency.
"A single-ended HPS bulb from Philips produces 1550 micromoles
A double-ended HPS bulb from Philips produces 2100 micromoles
Typical ballasts have the option of running a 1000 watt bulb at 1150 watts, this would increase the micromoles of the DE bulb to 2415 micromoles (estimated).
4’ x 4’ equals 16 square feet. Using a single-ended bulb at 1000 watts results in about 97 micromoles per square feet.

4’ x 5’ equals 20 square feet. Using a double-ended bulb at 1000 watts, results in 105 micromoles per square feet.

5’ x 5’ equals 25 square feet. Using a double-ended bulb at 1150 watts, results in about 97 micromoles per square feet.

As you can see, by switching to DE bulbs, it is possible to get the same amount of micromoles per square foot when growing on a 4’ x 4’ light footprint as a 5’ x 5’ light footprint.

By increasing the light footprint in this manner, it is also possible to decrease the amount of equipment – ballasts, bulbs and reflectors – needed in the grow room. In a room with 1600 square feet of canopy, 100 reflectors would be needed if using a 4’ x 4’ configuration, while only 64 reflectors would be needed if using a 5’ x 5’ configuration.

This equals a 36% decrease in the amount of lighting equipment needed, which can result in huge up-front savings. Additionally, the 100 reflectors with single-ended bulbs needed for a 4’ x 4’ configuration would require a total of 100,000 watts. Whereas the 64 reflectors with double-ended bulbs needed for a 5’ x 5’ configuration would only require a total of 73,600 watts. The wattage difference alone will save you 26% of your lighting electricity costs each month."

Yep! And I've got two of these beasts covering a 4x8 tray....massive amounts of light. They're way up high.

What's even more cool is that with a master controller EACH INDIVIDUAL LIGHT is controllable not only on/off, but also infinite control of wattage and an auto-dim feature based on temperatures. It's not just a choice between 1000 watts and 850 watts....it could be 900 watts or 820, of 740....whatever is needed.

I may consider running two of these in a row with my six LEDs running down the sides once I get my AC going. It would let me run 10'x7'which is double what I have going now. And the price is right. These lights cost much cheaper than LEDs!

Yes, they are less expensive, lighter, easier to hang and all that. However, they put out a bit more heat (not that much) AND they use more juice. The bulbs need replaced every year too, I'm told.

The bottom line for me is quality. LED's are now producing super high quality. These Gavita's have raised the bar for now, however. It will be interesting to see what the LED folks come out with in a year.....

These are super fun times to be an indoor gardener!

:popcorn: Hey Fellas.... Ill sit over here.

Not true RE LED. I'm using the latest tech from two LED companies and I'm getting 4-5 oz per plant no problem. Large plants, thick stems, dense buds.

My only.....ONLY complaint about LED is the bleaching of tops. Gavita's won't do that.

True you, Ice, RTK, and few others do well, but you need to know how to feed and control your environment well. Most new growers give up after buying an expensive light setup and not having much growing experience. Once you know what your doing it gets better. I've just noticed very steep learning curve on LED lights, whereas HPS are more forgiving when it comes to yield.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom