GDB's Express Grow

Indeed! GDB, what sort of size do you cut the stems before adding them to the jars?
The Grape Ape produced some large stems. Most I had to cut in half in order for them to fit, height-wise, in a Mason jar. A few of them were so long I had to cut them in thirds.

The Grape Ape produced some large stems. Most I had to cut in half in order for them to fit, height-wise, in a Mason jar. A few of them were so long I had to cut them in thirds.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if you cut them into small pieces or not. It must be better for the flavor profile than citrus peel surely.

Hello growers.

The Grape Ape slowed her drinking just a bit and that's the only nudge I needed to take her down. Having concluded that her buds were never going to firm up (they really lack density) I was disappointed at the way she finished. I like firm, dense buds. This one gave me large but airy buds.

Maybe they'll compress and get a little better as she dries.

Here is her obit pic:
Grape Ape obit 6-18-22 F84.jpg

After taking her down I just left her out overnight under a ceiling fan. I'll be drying her in my hanging mesh rack.
Grape Ape end 6-18-22 F84.jpg

So the Pinkman Goo is the last plant standing. At least her buds are hard and heavy.

Thanks for looking in.

Peace.
Awesome colas! Congratulations on a super harvest! BTW Some of my best smoke is from airy bud. I had the same feeling as you until I started enjoying the benefits. Let's see how you feel later?
Good morning all.

I believe the Pinkman Goo is done on Flip + 87!

She was watered to runoff on Friday and this morning her pot is still heavy. I'll probe the soil with my moisture reader this evening to be sure, but I don't think (based on my muscle memory) that she has drank very much at all!

Whoopy!:Rasta:

In other news, based on a recent conversation with @gwhunran I ordered some 120 micron bags for use with my smasher. I had been using 90 micron bags. Hunran said he uses 160s and gets more from those than when he uses 120s. I then got "120" stuck in my head and went to the Zon and ordered them instead of 160s. Doh! :straightface:

Still, I saw a significant improvement in the amount of rosin I was able to retrieve even by switching to the 120 micron!
More rosin 6-18-w22.JPG

So that's a good thing!

Have a great Sunday and thanks for stopping by.

Peace.
Smashing squish! I've been putting a drop on top of a full bowl and putting a light close but not close enough to ignite it, just melt it into the bowl. The first two hits are unbelievable and the rest ignites and makes the bowl supercharged. Just something different. I'm hitting one right now!

Excellent re hydrating hack!

Hey hey Black!

I think after all of your hard work, you deserve one of my much sought after hooray songs!

Hooray for Grand Dad! Hooray at last!
Hooray for Grand Dad he’s got that jarring sussed
Don’t be mistaken; Don’t be misled
Grand Dad jars up like a boss and Tra gives wicked [*REMOVED BY ADMIN DUE TO LEWD AND INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE*]

Good job bruv :)

Hello growers.

So my newly jarred Grape Ape, after sitting in the jars for a few days were still reading around 59-60RH. A little too dry.

But I recently saw where @LKABudMan said he keeps fresh stems in his freezer in case he needed to rehydrate something.

I didn't have any stems in my freezer, but I had yet to throw away the fresh stems from taking down the plant. So I cut those down to size and stuck a few in each jar.

About 24 hours afterward, my 6 jars now sit at 63RH, 65, 69, 64, 64 and 68. Cool beans! Out with the stems and in with the burping. Now I'll try to get them all down to around 63.

What a neat hack! Thanks Budman!
Cool idea, but since the curing process is microbe driven and stops below a certain humidity, I've read that the process can't be restarted. But maybe that threshold is lower than your 59-60. :hmmmm:

Hello all!

I'm still twiddling, waiting on the Pinkman Goo to stop drinking on Flip + 92.

I scoped her today and she appears to be getting close!
Goo tric IV 6-25-22 F92.jpg
Goo trich 6-25-22 F92.jpg
Goo trich II 6-25-22 F92.jpg
Goo trich III 6-25-22 F92.jpg

As always, thanks for the feedback!

I'd say it stays because I'm not sick of looking at it! Wait, that's not how it works is it? :hmmmm:
That's a tough question Shed! :)
Congrats on the Grape Ape harvest…. A nice little haul. Looks nice and hope it smokes well for you.
Thanks Bionic! She really reeks so I think I may be in for a treat!
Judging by the look of those nugs, that bowl trimmer is a lot better at it than I am ... :thedoubletake:
I know for sure that it's faster than you! :laughtwo:
Nice Harvest GDB ! She turned out pretty after the trimmer , p.s. the airy buds roll up nice and easy ,
Thanks Smoke. Easy does it! :)
Awesome colas! Congratulations on a super harvest! BTW Some of my best smoke is from airy bud. I had the same feeling as you until I started enjoying the benefits. Let's see how you feel later?
Thanks Stone. I'll be sure to do a timely smoke report on this one.
Smashing squish! I've been putting a drop on top of a full bowl and putting a light close but not close enough to ignite it, just melt it into the bowl. The first two hits are unbelievable and the rest ignites and makes the bowl supercharged. Just something different. I'm hitting one right now!
I will be trying this today! :ganjamon:
I think after all of your hard work, you deserve one of my much sought after hooray songs!
Thanks Trala! Is it the songs that are sought after or just the ends of the songs?
Good job GDB! Nice work with the bowl trimmer, that's interesting to see.
Thanks Stunger. It's a real time-saver!
Cool idea, but since the curing process is microbe driven and stops below a certain humidity, I've read that the process can't be restarted. But maybe that threshold is lower than your 59-60. :hmmmm:
I certainly hope the threshold is lower Azimuth!
I remember it being around 55% where the microbes die off and can't nosh for the cure, but @Weaselcracker did an experiment with his buds, which you can read about starting here if you're interested.
From reading that it seems that I'm in the safe zone. Thanks Shed!

Thanks all for your interest.

Peace.

The trimmer has no effect on RH. That's all on the drying process.

The one's I just did are now in jars reading around 59-60 RH. I may need to rehydrate a little if they don't inch up to about 63 where I like for them to be.

i was concerned the trimmer might gum up bad with a bit wetter product. a lot of reviews i read on various trimmers kinda say it works great with dry bud, and gloss over the fact the bud may be past the best jarring and curing window.

i like adding stems as well. everyone thinks it's nuts but i find it will preserve terpene profile and will bring rh in the jars up if you need it. it's a super old school way to do things pre-dating humidity packs.

the downside is they should be removed at some point as the larger ones pull both rh and terpenes out after a few months, instead of helping.

Cool idea, but since the curing process is microbe driven and stops below a certain humidity, I've read that the process can't be restarted. But maybe that threshold is lower than your 59-60.

it depends how dry and how long it's been that dry

I remember it being around 55% where the microbes die off and can't nosh for the cure, but @Weaselcracker did an experiment with his buds, which you can read about starting here if you're interested.

if you catch it fast enough you'll be ok. i'm faced with 3 - 4 day hangs in some cases, with ambient rh at 15 - 25%. i've had bud go in to the jars at 50% on a 3 day hang, but adding some stem and hydrating packs, got it back to where i could properly burp and cure.

not all of the bud dries out at the same rate. meaning not all of the microbes dies at exactly 50 or 55% rh. if you can get in the jars fast enough, there's a fair chance enough are left to re-populate, and finish the curing process.

edit : forgot to add i think the stems play a helpful role at that point. it's possible there are still viable microbes in the stems that have not dried completely.

Hello growers.

So my newly jarred Grape Ape, after sitting in the jars for a few days were still reading around 59-60RH. A little too dry.

But I recently saw where @LKABudMan said he keeps fresh stems in his freezer in case he needed to rehydrate something.

I didn't have any stems in my freezer, but I had yet to throw away the fresh stems from taking down the plant. So I cut those down to size and stuck a few in each jar.

About 24 hours afterward, my 6 jars now sit at 63RH, 65, 69, 64, 64 and 68. Cool beans! Out with the stems and in with the burping. Now I'll try to get them all down to around 63.

What a neat hack! Thanks Budman!

Yesterday while attempting to supercrop a taller stalk on one of my CB Dutch Treats, I broke the stem right off. Coincidentally, I had one jar of Pineapple Express that was stubbornly sitting at 46% humidity so I threw the stalk in the jar, recapped and checked this morning and the humidity is now at 61%.

:thanks: GDB and @LKABudMan!

Yesterday while attempting to supercrop a taller stalk on one of my CB Dutch Treats, I broke the stem right off. Coincidentally, I had one jar of Pineapple Express that was stubbornly sitting at 46% humidity so I threw the stalk in the jar, recapped and checked this morning and the humidity is now at 61%.

Another case of working with and letting mother nature help us.

That's cool HashGirl!

BTW, When I took the stems out of the jars I put them in a sandwich bag and put them in the freezer. So now I have some on standby like the BudMan! :)

Hello growers.

It's Flip + 97 for the Express Grow and my thumbs are through with twiddling.

I took the Pinkman Goo out of the tent for a day or so of darkness before her ultimate demise.

She had her Obit pic unceremoniously taken on the kitchen stove while being transported to the Box of Darkness in the basement.
Goo 6-30-22 F97 Obit.jpg

She's no award winner but her buds are rock hard and gooey!
Goo bud 6-30-22 end.JPG

So the Express Grow is drawing to a close. @Weed Seeds Express genetics are awesome! The @Mars Hydro TS3000 is awesome! The @GeoPot pots are awesome! And @420 is awesome for allowing me to have this much fun sharing my grows with you, the awesome 420 community!

It's not over yet, but it's getting close.

I'll be back to report on the takedown in a day or so.

Thanks for you time!

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom