GDB's Express Grow

I'm not sure what I'm looking for. This issue only arose because when I used the moisture meter and let the buds get down to 11% when I jarred them again their hygrometers were (are) reading in the low 50s. I may rehydrate them.

Anyway, next time I use the WMM I'll go for a target of 14% and see what they do once jarred.

Thanks, @No Pain. Every little bit helps! :thanks:
lets see if this hits the spot @Grand Daddy Black .... your jar was reading 62% rh and your buds read 15% with the wmm ... you took them out of the jar and what happened in the jar is it filled with the rh of your home average is around 50% you let the buds dry out to 10-11% which just in doing that without putting the air exchange in the jar into the equation would have reduced your rh by and around 4.5% taking that 62% rh down to 57.5% rh now putting them back in the jar distplacing the 50% rh air ...you are probably sitting at 53.7 -54% rh I'm guessing .

Now onto at what percentage of moisture should I put my buds in a jar ... keeping in mind that the only reason people who use jars burp them is to remove excess humidity and taking into account curing rh is 58-60 % rh ..some people may say different ..... did you happen to do a WMM reading before you Jarred them ? if not thats okay ....so look at the 15% wmm reading you had and the rh being 62 % i would say 11-12% reading on the wmm will put you at 58-59 % rh in the jar once the moisture has redistributed through the flower in an air tight container .... just remember that if you follow that and you have a stable reading of 58-60% rh in the jar when you first jar them ... you will not have to burb the jar ...you only open the lid if it goes above the highest reading .......be sure to test your rh gauge to make sure its accurate .

lets see if this hits the spot @Grand Daddy Black .... your jar was reading 62% rh and your buds read 15% with the wmm ... you took them out of the jar and what happened in the jar is it filled with the rh of your home average is around 50% you let the buds dry out to 10-11% which just in doing that without putting the air exchange in the jar into the equation would have reduced your rh by and around 4.5% taking that 62% rh down to 57.5% rh now putting them back in the jar distplacing the 50% rh air ...you are probably sitting at 53.7 -54% rh I'm guessing .

Now onto at what percentage of moisture should I put my buds in a jar ... keeping in mind that the only reason people who use jars burp them is to remove excess humidity and taking into account curing rh is 58-60 % rh ..some people may say different ..... did you happen to do a WMM reading before you Jarred them ? if not thats okay ....so look at the 15% wmm reading you had and the rh being 62 % i would say 11-12% reading on the wmm will put you at 58-59 % rh in the jar once the moisture has redistributed through the flower in an air tight container .... just remember that if you follow that and you have a stable reading of 58-60% rh in the jar when you first jar them ... you will not have to burb the jar ...you only open the lid if it goes above the highest reading .......be sure to test your rh gauge to make sure its accurate .
:headbanger: :headbanger::headbanger::headbanger:

It's truly one of those questions. I'm very similar to Chuckeye. It's a feel to get to know. Dense bud goes faster than fluffy ones. That throws a wrench in the works and you have to use different rules. I don't think there can be strict rules for it. I end up sticking them in a bag or jar and look every time to judge if it's time.
That's backward! Dense goes longer. Stoner on the keyboard. Sorry!

Hello growers.

I have questions.

This Wood (Weed) Moisture Meter has me a bit perplexed!

In late June I jarred up a Grape Ape and a Black Domina. I had been burping them and just recently got the hygrometers down to 62ish RH. But when I checked the buds with the WMM they read at 15%. So I emptied the buds out on some newspaper and let them sit out under a ceiling fan for about 5 hours. They both then measured between 10 and 11 percent on the WMM.

I put them back in jars with the hygrometers and after a few hours the meters were reading in the mid 50s and it appears that's where they're going to stay. I thought that an RH in the low 60s was the sweet spot for curing. But is that the case?

These buds feel much better since I let some more of the moisture out and they are not overly dry or crispy. So I'm just a bit confused. Maybe the hygrometers will slowly creep back up to the low 60s but I've seen little change in the hours since the buds have been back in the jars.

@No Pain, @LKABudMan and anyone else, what's your opinion?
I don’t know about wood weed meters but…

I actually prefer my bud humidity to sit 58%-60%. I think 62% has the danger of mould if it climbs that 1 or 2 degrees if it’s not closely watched, where the 58%-60% you can forget it and know it’s safe.

In a sealed container, put a dish of salt. Add a few drops of water to the salt. You want wet salt, not salt water. Seal everything up it should read 75% rh. My Govees were within 2%. Some of those cheap hygrometers were 10-15% off.
This is the interesting point.

I totally agree.

Do you have a humidity thingy you recommend?

This is the interesting point.

I totally agree.

Do you have a humidity thingy you recommend?
I love my Govee hygrometers.

You can make a wet bulb and dry bulb and split the difference and get a true true reading in air.. I done my basement once and found it stays around 40Rh rainy days raises it to 60 doesn't seem to hurt plants much but I put humidifier in tent during winter and nothing during summer. Stays around 40 but rains make it hit 60 70 80 sometimes.

I'm really surprised you got a wood moisture meter to check the RH rather than a bunch of cheap hygrometers. Delps8 and I had a conversation about WMMs in late June in the low and slow thread, but to save you from clicking I'll paste it here:

A wood moisture meter has two little prongs that you press into the wood to determine its dampness. I can't see how that would give you an accurate measure of the entire bud since the prongs could be contacting completely different spots. The outsides of a flower will dry much more quickly than the insides.

A hygrometer in a sealed container will give you the average RH for the entire bud, averaging the wet and dry areas, which is what you want. After all, when the bud sits in the jars to cure it will stabilize the humidity across the entire flower.

A piece of wood is evenly damp across it's length, where a drying flower will have a wide range of dampness depending on where the prongs touch. It's the average RH you are trying to get to (e.g. 62%), not any two specific spots.
Today at noon marked the 36th hour for the Pinkman Goo in the Box Of Darkness. So I took her out and "took her out!"
Goodbye Goo.
Congrats on the final takedown GDB! Looks like a load of fat spears ready for a roll on the bowl. :)

:bravo:
And for those of you who have beefed about the missing Washington Post, here is another array shot with one of my vintage mags included for your viewing pleasure!
Oh damn I did miss a black plastic garbage bag, and while the 1968 Time Magazine in great condition is a wonder to see, there's nothing like the WaPo obit pages for drying harvests!

I'm really surprised you got a wood moisture meter to check the RH rather than a bunch of cheap hygrometers. Delps8 and I had a conversation about WMMs in late June in the low and slow thread, but to save you from clicking I'll paste it here:
Thanks for that Shed.

But the WMM has actually helped me get rid of some of the guesswork. I'm only paying real attention to the readings on the big buds up top. I assume that those will take the longest to dry (and they're the ones I care about the most!).
When they fall into the 11-12% range I'll jar them up.

The Goo has been in the mesh hanger for 10 days now. I am almost certain that I would have taken them out by now using the stem bend/snap evaluation.

I'll see how this goes. The meter cost me less than $20 and if it proves ineffective for this purpose I can always go hang around lumberyards and offer to measure moisture content for potential wood purchasers. Of course I will charge a small fee in order to recoup the cost of the meter. :)

Hello growers.

I jarred up the Pinkman Goo this afternoon.

They had been in my hanging mesh dryer for 11 days. Over the last few days I measured a few of the top (big) buds daily with my Wood Moisture Meter (WMM). And this morning I was satisfied after several of them read 11-12%, which was my target.

I had 5 hygrometers available. They were all sitting together in the same spot in my room and all were reading 49%. So while I can't positively confirm their accuracy, they are consistent. (Either consistently right or consistently wrong. Works for me! :) )

And last week I got some 1oz. Grove bags. Even though I have tons of Mason jars on hand, my curiosity got the best of me, as usual.

Here's one tier fresh out of the mesh dryer. (I had 3 tiers altogether.)
IMG_5158.jpg

After I snipped the buds from the stems but before running through the bowl trimmer.
IMG_5160.jpg

And after running through the trimmer.
IMG_5161.jpg

(I didn't take time to weigh her. During this same time I was also frying a bunch of shrimp. One batch for my mom, for her Birthday. And another for a friend of my moms to be exchanged for one of the best homemade lemon pounds cakes to ever cross my lips!)

I put 4 parts into four Grove bags and 1 part into a 32oz. Mason jar. What remained went into a 16oz. Mason jar. I placed hygrometers in all but the 16oz. jar.

That was about three hours ago. (In the interim, I delivered the shrimp and picked up my cake! :yahoo:)

They now read as follows:

Grove #1 -- 62%
Grove #2 -- 62%
Grove #3 -- 60%
Grove #4 -- 58%
Mason jar - 58%

The only conclusion I can draw from these numbers is that they're all damn close to where I wanted them to be!

And Ohh Boy! She didn't stay whole for long!
IMG_5162.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Peace.

Thanks Shed! I'll be sure to send along the Birthday wishes.

See you at Home Depot. I'll be the one wearing the orange vest that's just not quite the right orange! :laughtwo:

Congrats on the jar-up (bag-up?)
one of the best homemade lemon pounds cakes to ever cross my lips!)
Yeah, the weed talk is nice, but I want to hear more about that lemon cake...
See you at Home Depot. I'll be the one wearing the orange vest that's just not quite the right orange!
If it's anything like Our Home Depot, you also won't be around when we need you... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Congrats on the jar-up (bag-up?)

Yeah, the weed talk is nice, but I want to hear more about that lemon cake...

If it's anything like Our Home Depot, you also won't be around when we need you... :cheesygrinsmiley:
Thanks Carcass.

The cake nearly melts in your (my) mouth, has a wonderful hint of lemon and is not too sweet (that's important).

At Home Depot I've found that screaming for help as loud as I can usually works. :)

Lemon cakes and Pinkman goo buds. Man my mouths watering …. What a combo brother GDB! Congrats
Thanks Bionic. Put that way, it does sound like a nice combo!

BTW, I'm glad you entered those beauties in the photo contests. Good luck to you! :)

Back
Top Bottom