Gelato Indoor Soil

Ed Brown

Well here goes my 2nd grow. I hope to improve a lot on this journal and give much more detail.

Grow Details:

1. 600W MH during Seedling, and Veg
2. 600W HPS during Flowering
3. FoxFarm Oceans Forest (Reused from last grow)
4. FoxFarm full nutrient pack
5. 6 Gelato Feminized seeds from Crop King Seeds
5. 6 3 gal fabric bags

I decided last grow was overcrowded with 9 plants during veg and 8 during flowering. This time around I will reduce to 6 plants total.

Last time I followed Crop Kings germination method which is the paper towel method. I had 100% germination rate with this method, and I will utilize it again for this grow.

Beginning germination tonight!

Elbrandone

No, last grow was White Widow. I haven't decided on a sea of green or SCROG yet... I'm mostly afraid of screwing something up with SCROG.

Blue Gelato #41 sounds delicious. Have you grown Gelato before?

Glad to report 100% germination success! Planted all 6 girls this evening. They are each in their own 3 gallon, which are being re-purposed from last grow. I've been watering the empty soil mildly for the last few days. The existing roots from the WW are still in the soil.

I cleaned the floor of the tent and re positioned my intake filter. I seem to be getting better air flow coming into the tent now. I'm hoping my same 2 carbon filters can last for this whole grow too.

I changed my bulb back to MH and lowered the light 24 inches above the soil.

This might be a dumb question, but does this count as Day 1? Or is Day 1 when they sprout?

Neat. I've got 4 Gelato ladies right now from Crop King. 2 phenos from 4 seeds. 1 Indica in seed, 1 Indica in my greenhouse, and 2 hybrid types in flower under 1000 HPS as of the 10th.

Sounds delicious. I can't wait to check out your grows!

I'm growing 9 Gelato By Royal Queen Seeds with the same background genetics, it will be interesting if there are any noticeable differences between the breeders :).

That will be a very interesting test. My last WW grow was crop kings, I feel like all the phenos were pretty similar. However, there were 2 very dominant plants.

Hey welcome! Yes you would count day 1 from the day it sprouts out of the dirt.

Starting in three gallon buckets is risky. Is that how you did the last grow?

I’ve got 1 dark Angel and 1 blue Cookie In flower right now, and two DA and 1 BC in veg right now from crop kings.

I’ll be sure to follow along :thumb:

Hey welcome! Yes you would count day 1 from the day it sprouts out of the dirt.

Starting in three gallon buckets is risky. Is that how you did the last grow?

I’ve got 1 dark Angel and 1 blue Cookie In flower right now, and two DA and 1 BC in veg right now from crop kings.

I’ll be sure to follow along :thumb:

I didn't realize the amount of risk. It was especially risky since I reused the soil. When I water the top layer seemed to separate and flood the whole area. Last time I started most in 1 gal, but I did start a few of WW in 3 gallons too. I was being lazy and was unsure of the importance of up-potting.

Day 6 after planting. I have 3 girls. Only 50% success, but it's better than nothing. I decided to germinate my last Gelato Fem and 1 sherbert cookies I had. Should be planting those by tomorrow. I'm also thinking I need a 200W bulb to start my grows. These Gelato's definitely appear more sensitive than the WW.

I didn't realize the amount of risk. It was especially risky since I reused the soil. When I water the top layer seemed to separate and flood the whole area. Last time I started most in 1 gal, but I did start a few of WW in 3 gallons too. I was being lazy and was unsure of the importance of up-potting.

Yeah it’s easy to under water/over water when started in bigger pots. Not saying it will happen but it’s much easier to get lockout situation because of improper feeding techniques in bigger pots. Best to start in a smaller container and work your way up to the 3 gallon or 5 gallon pots. Who knows maybe everything will work out fine. I know it’s easiest to prevent these issues when started in a smaller pot.

The only problem with starting in large pots is the threat of overwatering, you just need to start in a light circle around the seedling. The reason Nunyabiz has no problems is all that lush greenery to absorb any excess water (looks beautiful btw).
Up-potting does have benefits but it needs to be done properly, at the right time, into the right size containers (3-5x in size). There's more to it then simply up-potting. I prefer it but it is by no means necessary and for some setups, just isnt practical.
I would heavily recommend scrog. IME the quality stayed the same but the yield increased and the % of popcorn buds decreased, so win-win. It does take some training and some supplies but is worth it to me.

The only problem with starting in large pots is the threat of overwatering, you just need to start in a light circle around the seedling. The reason Nunyabiz has no problems is all that lush greenery to absorb any excess water (looks beautiful btw).
Up-potting does have benefits but it needs to be done properly, at the right time, into the right size containers (3-5x in size). There's more to it then simply up-potting. I prefer it but it is by no means necessary and for some setups, just isnt practical.
I would heavily recommend scrog. IME the quality stayed the same but the yield increased and the % of popcorn buds decreased, so win-win. It does take some training and some supplies but is worth it to me.
Correct on all counts.

The key IMO is to grow your soil first, once your soil is good and you have plenty of aeration, especially if you do no-till with the cover crop and a few hundred worms then its all but impossible to over water.

My plants are drinking about 1 1/2 gallons each per day while in mid flower stage.
If your soil is right with a good 30% aeration with rice hulls, pumice and pre-charged biochar, you're in fabric pots, it's pretty damn difficult to overwater even a seedling even if the pot is 500 gallon.
Just need to get proper soil tilth, no-till makes that easier with the cover crop and worms etc but you can still do it without going no-till.
Grow soil, let the soil grow the plant.

Back
Top Bottom