George Growstanza's Grow Show: Season 1, Episode 1: The Bagseed

George Growstanza

This is the first installment of what will hopefully be a long and entertaining series. It is my second time growing pot, the first time was ten years ago and didn't quite turn out too well. The grow is well underway, but I'll try to recap everything so we all know what's going on.

Let's get things started!

Strain: Unknown bagseed.

Currently starting week 7 since switch to 12-12.

Growing indoors in soil.

Soil is indoor potting soil from my local garden center. Nutrient levels unknown.

Lights are cheap LED bulbs from Home Depot, not designed for growing plants.

Temperature range I have recorded so far has been between 17C - 21C (63F - 70F)

Relative humidity fluctuating between 45% and 70%

PH was recorded around the 6 - 6.5 range.

As we can see, my setup is far from ideal. I don't have a grow tent, I just set up my lights to the underside of a table. It seems to work okay but it can be a pain to do my gardening on the floor.

Began germination of 3 bagseeds on 20/10/2018 using the paper towel method. Within 48 hours the first two (Plant A and plant B) were showing taproots. 3rd seed (Plant C) Showed taproot an additional 24 hours later.

Plants A and B broke the surface of the soil on 24/10/2018 with no issues whatsoever.

Plant C broke the soil surface on 26/10/2018. In order to try and get this seedling to catch up to the other two I had planted it slightly shallower in the soil. This proved to be a mistake on my part as the seedling still had a helmet when it peeked its head out of the soil. This issue was resolved by moistening the seed shell and removing with tweezers.

The problems for plant C didn’t stop there however. Being a complete beginner, I unknowingly purchased soil that some may call the bane of cannabis growers: Miracle-Gro. The result was that I immediately had a fungus gnat problem, not even 1 week in.

To my displeasure, when I pulled the helmet off plant C, I spotted a miniscule insect of some sort, chewing its way through the cotyledons of my poor little seedling. After quick research, I determined that it was a fungus gnat larva (white worm shape with black head), and promptly disposed of it. Then I went to buy some yellow sticky traps.

The first of many lessons learned, don’t use Miracle-Gro. I did keep the seedlings in it until transplant. Where they got put into the local garden centers house brand soil mix. Fingers crossed that it does better than the Miracle-No.

Here is a pic of a mutation on plant B. Notice the duck foot shaped leaf. This was the first and only leaf I saw like this. Kind of a neat mutation though!

06/11/2018: Transplant day. All three plants were moved to 11L (approx. 3 gallon) pots. The plants were still quite small, however I thought the sooner I got them out of that Miracle-Gro and into different soil, the better.

Here is a pic taken a few days after transplanting.

The smaller plant in the middle is plant C, despite all the initial problems it seems to have picked up nicely, albeit being slightly smaller in size than the other two.

I began training plants A and B. Plant A simply got tied down, and plant B was topped above the 3rd node. My plan with the three plants was to do three different training techniques, and compare the differences in how the plants would respond.

This is the end of the first update. I will try and get us up to speed as quickly as possible. So keep your eyes peeled for more!
Thanks for tuning in!

I've got time for another update so heck, why not?

To start things off, here is a photo of the runt, Plant C.

Plant B got the new tops tied down on day 26.

Three days later, disaster strikes. My clumsy hands managed to break one of the new tops...

Whoops...

Anyhow, the next morning I woke up and decided to do this to Plant C (the runty one).

At the beginning of the 4th week (20/11/2018) I began noticing what would appear to be pre-flowers. Now, being as this grow was started with bagseed, I wasn’t sure if I’d be getting females or males. The pre-flowers looked promising though!

Edit: I just noticed the new growth in the last photo looks like a pair of hands praying!

Plant A just growing away happily. There is one leaf in this picture that has some weird yellowing. I'm not sure what it could be but there has been a handful of leaves here and there throughout most of the grow that have showed the same issue. Oh well I'll just wait it out and see.

The new growth on the plant C is looking a little off... Not sure if it's simply because the plant is really stressed from its buzz cut or if it might be a bigger problem...

The topped plant looks great though!

Gotcha. I'm still quite new at this, are you saying the pre-flowers in the photo could go either way regardless of their appearance? You must be right because now that I look back on it I didn't see the first pistils until much later. Thanks Blew :)
Correct...I was in the same boat just last year growing regular seeds for first time. Fem seeds cost more because there is no culling of plants 50+ days into the grow which is labor, cost and material intensive. You need to grow them like they are all keepers because @ Day 55 you can't repot.
Sex is very clearly presented...white, wispy pistils = :tommy: =FEMALE!

Little nut sacs = MALE :(

Correct...I was in the same boat just last year growing regular seeds for first time. Fem seeds cost more because there is no culling of plants 50+ days into the grow which is labor, cost and material intensive. You need to grow them like they are all keepers because @ Day 55 you can't repot.
Sex is very clearly presented...white, wispy pistils = :tommy: =FEMALE!

Little nut sacs = MALE :(
I wouldn't be mad if I got male plants. I'm just having fun growing the plant itself. Also after reading @beez0404 's thread about breeding/making seeds, I honestly WANT to get a male plant.
Edit: I want female plants too obviously :laughtwo:

The manifold on Plant C is starting to look really good!

I decided it would be good for it to get tied down at this point.

Plant B was bushing up really well at this point.

Plant A looks healthy and happy as well, although not as bushy as Plant B.

The whole time leading up to the Christmas holidays, I was looking furiously for pre-flowers. Most of them appeared to be female, and I was excited at the possibility of going 3 for 3. However, I started finding some odd looking ones on all three plants as well. I realized that being bagseed, there was a strong possibility that the seeds came from a plant that pollinated itself. Somewhere in the back of my mind I couldn’t help but think, they could very well be hermies.

The flip to 12-12 lighting schedule happened on 29/12/2018. I saw the first pistils showing on plant B on 08/01/2019. The other two plants would show their pistils within a day or two after that. All females… Yay for me, but at this point I started to grow very leery that my suspicions of having hermies might be correct…

I bought two new lights for growing. They were cheap, and they're designed to grow plants. My plan in the future is to use these lights from my first grow to get a little indoor vegetable garden going, and invest in a serious grow light with some high output for growing my cannabis.

Here's a nice little bud forming on day 23 from flip.

26/01/2019: Suspicions confirmed, I found my first pollen sacks growing on some of the lower buds. I was kind of upset to see this and debated what to do. I decided to chop off all the male parts I could find, and hope for the best. Interestingly, only two of the three plants have shown male parts. The manifold, the plant that underwent the most stressful life, had no pollen sacks at all. I took a nice picture of the nanners on Plant B.

Here's all the stuff I chopped.

Being that it is a bagseed grow and more for practice than anything else, I decided to just keep on plugging away instead of scrapping the plants. Thanks to the Colombian gold thread where @beez0404 made a bunch of seeds (which I read in about 2 days), I was convinced that a couple of seeds is not a bad thing, even though they have hermie tendencies.

Back
Top Bottom