George Is Getting Excited! My First Grow Black Indica Soil LED

George Mc

Hi everyone. I joined this forum a couple months ago and I've been reading like crazy. I thought now would be a good time to start my journal.

4' x 4' x 7' grow tent
Growstar 1000w LED (400 actual watts)
6 in exhaust fan with carbon filter
Small ceramic heater and humidifier.
Black indica photo period seeds from Crop King Seeds
Five gallon buckets with Fox Farm ocean forest soil with 10% perlite added
Fox Farm 3 pak of nutrients also cal-mag+
Ph to 6.5 using well water

This has been interesting so far for sure. I'm excited every time I open the tent.

The seeds sprouted on December 29th 2017.
I am running the LED light 18 / 6. I have a 8 inch fan on the floor blowing gently on the plant's. I've been trying to keep the humidity at 50 to 60% The little guy is 15 days behind the other three. The 4th seedling died a few days after they all sprouted and it took me a couple of weeks to decide if I wanted to plant another one, which I did of course which I don't know if that's a mistake. I know it's not going to hurt anything but my yield might suffer.

I'm thinking about switching to 12/12 at 6 weeks veg. They're at about 5 right now. I took a couple of pictures a few minutes ago and I did notice the leaves canoeing a little bit. Does that look right to you? The lights are at about 18 in from the canopy. It doesn't show that much in person but on the photograph you can see it. Both the veg and Bloom LEDs are turned on and have been for a week. I topped all the plants to the best of my ability a week ago. Every time I water or feed I give 1 ml per gallon of Cal Mag. I water feed water until runout. I am using the fox farm soil feeding schedule and using 1/4 dosage. I read a lot of posts on here of people going overboard with nutrients thinking more is better. I don't want to hurt the plants in any way.

I want input from anybody who would like to give it to help me with anything you see wrong.

4 weeks
20180131_101816.jpg

5 weeks
20180205_172559.jpg
20180205_172552.jpg

I just did raise it a couple more inches.

For the first 4 weeks I just had the veg light on not knowing any different. I came to this forum and asked if I should run both lights and everybody said yes so I turn both the veg and Bloom lights on at the end of week 4. I also topped them the next day. Now it's a week later and those plants have exploded almost doubled in size in one week.

Subbing in if you don't mind. Looks like you've done well so far! Looks nice in there :). Definitely right about raising the lights a tad .

As everybody else says, pull up a chair. Lol

Well today is the day to start 12 / 12 bloom. I wanted to wait a little longer but the plants are really growing fast and I want to make sure I have room in the tent. I have four plants in the tent three of them have veg for 39 days and the little one has veg for 19. I know that's probably not long enough for the little one but I don't have a choice. The picture below was taken 10 minutes ago. It looks like the plans have a bad case of canoeing. If anybody else thinks it's a deficiency or an abundance let me know please.
20180206_163104.jpg

Well today is the day to start 12 / 12 bloom. I wanted to wait a little longer but the plants are really growing fast and I want to make sure I have room in the tent. I have four plants in the tent three of them have veg for 39 days and the little one has veg for 19. I know that's probably not long enough for the little one but I don't have a choice. The picture below was taken 10 minutes ago. It looks like the plans have a bad case of canoeing. If anybody else thinks it's a deficiency or an abundance let me know please.
20180206_163104.jpg
Hey George :)

They're looking pretty good from where I'm sitting. It does look like minor heat stress but your temp looks OK. Have you tried raising the light a bit? It doesn't look as bad on the top so I'd have thought it's doing OK since the higher growth isn't burnt?

Have the girls shown pistils yet?

I have not looked for pistil's. Remember I'm brand new at this and frankly I didn't even know I was supposed to. I will walk in there right now and look. The plants are very condensed so it's kind of hard to see in there but I'll manage.

I have not looked for pistil's. Remember I'm brand new at this and frankly I didn't even know I was supposed to. I will walk in there right now and look. The plants are very condensed so it's kind of hard to see in there but I'll manage.
You can force flower Photoperiods anyway but it was more out of curiosity for myself :). For me the switch is the most exciting part!

I have noticed that the first 4 weeks of veg I had to supplement humidity to keep it in an ideal range. Once the plants reached a certain size transpiration is keeping the inside of the tent at a good humidity without supplementation of a humidifier. That's good, less for me to worry about. But I wonder how things will play out if and when I do a grow in the summertime. It's very humid where I am in the summer although I have inside air conditioning it could still play havoc. Time will tell.

When I bought these seeds I thought I had an autoflowering plant. So after I germinated the seeds on a plate with paper towels I planted them directly into the 5 gallon buckets. The plants are photoperiod. I noticed that most people transplant from one pot to the other pot. Did I lose some growth because I put it right into the five gallon bucket?

There can be times when they don't appear to be doing anything. This is usually the case when something has been changed or amended and the plant has to get its bearings again.

Chances are she was just adjusting to the new pot. Personally I only transplant twice with photos but there are split opinions on whether to pot once or multiple times. The problem with constantly repotting is the effort and the possible stress this could put on the plant

They will work on their roots first, they will explode when the time is right

So you don't think I'm drastically hurting my yield by not transplanting from pot to pot?

I have a question. How old do the plants have to be before the grow room starts smelling like marijuana? Because right now I don't smell any marijuana in the grow tent.

I have a question. How old do the plants have to be before the grow room starts smelling like marijuana? Because right now I don't smell any marijuana in the grow tent.
Hey George!

The girls are looking really good! Nice colour and bushy growth which means happy plants :).

In answer to your question I tend to find it really starts to hum in the late stages but I find the smell of the actual bud itself starts to appear around the third week of flower but its also dependant on the strains.

I was wondering if next time I should use fabric pots. Right now they are in 5-gallon plastic paint buckets. I only water / feed every 4-5 days now. If I switch to fabric and the moisture evaporates quicker I could get more nutrients into the roots. Is that why everybody uses fabric?

Back
Top Bottom