Geotag - Photo Security

This is extremely important information, IMHO.

I listen to a lot of talk radio, recently there was a segment on Geotagging.

Basically most cell phones, and some digital cameras have something called geotagging where it records the longitude and latitude of where the photo is taken. This is extremely valuable information to help protect us members from any potential trouble.

I understand 420mag is legal and follows the law, however it never hurts to be extra safe.

Good article on this info:

Geotag Security, Remove Geotag Data From Photos

Our software strips all geo data, plus your camera and/or phone should have the ability to turn that off. There are many other threads here on this as well.

just read this thread as new to site...has there been any updates on security of photos and posting of comments on forums?

Two programs that I know of - Photoshop and IrfanView, have "Save for Web" feature. If you use it, it automatically strips the photo of metadata.

Now, 420 does this by default but, if anyone's posting pictures somewhere else on the Interwebs, use "Save for Web" feature and you'll be OK.

Of course, there are numerous other ways to find you (if they really want to), but that's another story...

Back
Top Bottom