Germany: Cannabis Law

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Cannabis was illegal throughout Germany until the federal constitutional court decided on 28 April 1994 that people need no longer be prosecuted for possession of soft drugs for personal use. Since then, most German regional governments have tolerated the sale and use of soft drugs.

In some cities, cannabis supply is now tolerated in a similar way to the Netherlands. In other places the courts still treat possession as an offence. For example, in one state, Schleswig-Holstein, no charges are usually brought for possession of less than 30 g, but in Thuringia people are prosecuted for possessing even tiny amounts.2

In March 1999, Germany's drug tsar, Christa Nickels, said she considered it sensible to use cannabis products such as marijuana and hashish for therapeutic purposes in medicine. Source

Chris Fowlie's Tour: Germany: Uber Hanf
By Chris Fowlie

Germany was once thought to be on its way to becoming the next Netherlands, but it is now considered one of the harshest countries in Europe, with its citizens living in fear of roadside sweat tests and police sniffer dogs.

Having said that, it is rare to be prosecuted for possession, let alone go to jail for it, and there is a thriving German ganja culture with huge Hanf celebrations and parades all over the country.

In the northern cities of Hamburg and Berlin you can smoke reasonably openly and there are quasi-coffeeshops that keep really quiet in order to stay open. Hamburg police will tolerate up to 30 grams as a personal amount - it will be confiscated but no charges laid. The further south you go in Germany, the less tolerance there is, but even in Bavaria it would still be unusual to be arrested for possessing a small amount.

Pipes and bongs are legal even for cannabis use, and the stores selling them all appear to be doing a brisk trade. The Germans are also on the forefront of developing great vaporisers, with two excellent models, personally tried and tested by myself, called the Aromed and the Volcano. Both use electricity to heat the air which is drawn through the finely chopped herb. The Volcano fills a balloon, which is handy for medical users who may not always be able to use delicate nozzles and buttons.

The hemp industry is also big, but unlike in Switzerland, the German hemp is low-THC. Most of it is grown in the south and used to make nutritious food products. Hemp businesses have invested in processing plant and can now manufacture their own hemp clothing, insulation and building materials as well as hempseed foods and cosmetics.

Cannabis seeds were legal in Germany up to a couple of years ago, but they remain legal almost everywhere else in Europe so they are easy for Germans to get. Grow lights are sold next to bongs with no illusion about what they are for. Hash seems the most common form of cannabis, with the black hashes of India and Nepal preferred to the Moroccan. Marijuana seemed harder to come by, and much of it originates from the Netherlands and Switzerland.

The fact that Germany shares open borders with so many countries with liberal drug policies has a lot to do with their tolerance for possessing small amounts. They have no hope of stemming the flow of cannabis from the Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, Czech, Poland, Denmark - all countries that have long stopped chasing cannabis smokers, so by tolerating cannabis smokers the police can concentrate on hard drugs. Source

:nicethread:

thanks for the info, great read!! i live in the south state Baden-Wüttmeberg and was looking to move more up north in germany, and now i guess it would be a good choice :)

naw, but it is certainly something to consider. i've been thinking of moving there there for a while now, but i still havent decided yet.
:]

I am in Germany and when traveling by bus i see shops with sign's "head'n grow shops" I am unsure of the law where i am but am wondering if it would be appropriate to go in and ask if they sell other than seeds? I am new to Germany and dont want to go in with the wrong manners and get in trouble. thanks

ps the area is around Dusseldorf/Essen/Bochum

In Germany you couldn't buy any Cannabis seeds since 1.2.1998.

In Shops who called Growshop you can buy only products like lamps etc. for

Growing ...what ever :) When you ask for Cannabis seeds in such a shop

you´ll only get a smile !

hei....
i hav a question....i'm in Germany at the moment but i wil travel soon...
base on this complete information that u are posting here im assuming that u r from Germany or at least u hav lots of knowledge abt tis country....
recently i bought a brand new bong and i hav never used it, so do u think i can carry with me out of Germany or i might get into trouble at d security desk in airport??and how shud i do it???shud i check it in or carry it as a hand luggage??

btw tnx for d great post
regard

:clap: :adore:

I want to thank you so very much for thread, It was very helpful! I am going to Berlin, This summer and I want to thank you for the great information; because I wasen't sure if it was legal there or not.. and what kind of problems I would have if I was caught by the Polizei buying.. :bongrip:
:nicethread:

Thanks Again! Do you have any suggestions on where to buy?

Okey its a long time ago that omid hat a question,but now iam here again to answer :)

I thing it's not a good idea to transport a new bong on a flight,normaly the security had no reason to say anything,because its new and when they ask you can say you only smoke tabak :) but i thing when the find it the controll you very hard because the thing you are a very bad person :_) And so this is wasting your time.Just buy you a new bong when you landed

@Ranger I havent any suggestions where to buy because its just not allowed to buy seeds in Germnay. May you must buy it i an Land where the are free to order !

Okey its a long time ago that omid hat a question,but now iam here again to answer :)

I thing it's not a good idea to transport a new bong on a flight,normaly the security had no reason to say anything,because its new and when they ask you can say you only smoke tabak :) but i thing when the find it the controll you very hard because the thing you are a very bad person :_) And so this is wasting your time.Just buy you a new bong when you landed

I would definitely agree. I would not attempt to take a bong/pipe of any sort on a Commercial Air-Craft. The security today in the United States, Russia, Europe, Germany, China, Japan, South America, and Africa is unreal. If it would be possible, traveling by train is awesome. It takes some time but the views are incredible, the privacy is outstanding (plus you may get wifi, they started that here in America) and security is slim to none. We got boarded once, it was kinda scary but I didn't have anything any-way. I got harassed by a cop in Chicago, I think she was jealous because everyone was talking to me. I just went outside to smoke a cig (need to quit badly). You can also get away with carrying it on a bus, but I wouldn't walk on a bus after tokin' b/cause I watched someone get kicked off just for smelling like it, and he hadn't even made it on the bus yet!

I would definitely agree. I would not attempt to take a bong/pipe of any sort on a Commercial Air-Craft. The security today in the United States, Russia, Europe, Germany, China, Japan, South America, and Africa is unreal. If it would be possible, traveling by train is awesome. It takes some time but the views are incredible, the privacy is outstanding (plus you may get wifi, they started that here in America) and security is slim to none. We got boarded once, it was kinda scary but I didn't have anything any-way. ...

Taking a clean and used water pipe on commercial aircraft within Europe has never been an issue for me, even in my carry-on luggage. I've transported a used vaporizer and various pipes and bongs between Germany and the Netherlands dozens times without issue. I was only stopped in Rome, and they just looked at me with a raised eyebrow and waved me away. I don't carry herbs with me, but nobody has ever checked for that.

Security in and out of Europe, at the international terminals, is similar to that in the US. This is not the case at the domestic continental European flights. But no two terminals have the same security protocol. Landing in Hamburg on a direct flight from Amsterdam - no customs, no dogs, no nothing - for the past 9 years.

If I were transporting anything suspect, even small quantities of herb by train -well, I just wouldn't. The previous poster would have you believe that the train is safe and private. Far from it! I've heard nothing but tales of woe about boarding and confiscation. The train is a great way to get around Europe, but when you are on a route going to or coming from the Netherlands - trains and buses get boarded regularly with dogs and the tolerance of the officers is limited to baked goods. (And...getting kicked off for smelling bad would be at the discretion of the conductor, not because it's against the law to smell bad.)

There was a recent article in a local entertainment magazine comparing the tolerated quantities in Berlin and Hamburg. Berlin allows more than Hamburg, however, if you were to buy a tolerated quantity in Berlin, then take the (slow) train to Hamburg, you would have to consume 4oz in 3 hours to be in compliance with the lower quantity tolerated in Hamburg (and smoking isn't allowed on the trains!) - although I should say, nobody is patrolling the train stations for this kind of thing. Nationwide standards for tolerated quantity levels are under discussion, but as all things in Germany, it'll be caught in bureaucratic circles until the end of time...just be glad that it's tolerated at all!

That said, head shops are abundant in any mid to large size German cities and you can easily find something to use cheaply. Papers are available everywhere cigarettes are sold because loose tobacco is quite common - and many people mix their herbs with tobacco, which makes me vomit a little...but that's how they roll over here.

Come to Europe and experience legalization realized! You'll never be the same...in the best possible way. I dare say that the experience may even motivate you to campaign for education and legalization! I know it has for me.

thanks for the useful information

i am going to Frankfurt in few days and i hope to get information on how to get marijuna for personal use during my one week stay.

i have no idea where i can purchase few grams on arrival where i understand it is almost legal to smoke marijuna.

your help will be appreciated

regards

It's not legal in Germany (yet). There is merely a level of tolerance of quantities for personal use. Smoking in public places is not tolerated and the police will likely confiscate your buds, no matter how small the quantity, should you dare to be so bold. Discretion is the key.

This is not a forum for making a connect - even the German forums don't accommodate such requests. Try visiting a head shop in Frankfurt and ask them where purchases of this kind are made.

thank you very much for the clarification and i am sorry for being so bold.

what is a head shop and where can i find these shops in central Frankfurt around central station.

i appreciate your assistance

regards

I currently live in Germany and would like to buy a nice glass bong online. Do you think I would have no problem just ordering the bong and getting that delivered to my house in Germany?

I currently live in Germany and would like to buy a nice glass bong online. Do you think I would have no problem just ordering the bong and getting that delivered to my house in Germany?

i'm absolutely sure that a bong isn't illegal in germany so there isn't a problem to get it delivered to your house.
All the stuff (bongs,blunts, papers, grinders ect.) are legal in germany and you can buy it almost at every gas station or local tabacco store.

and the cops can confiscate a bong only if there's any proven relationship with MJ, but i'm not 100% sure about that.

PeAcE

Traveling by train from Amsterdam to Suisse, via Germany...Was hoping to take some extra weed with me but seems that's not a wise idea?

marijuana is ILLEGAL in germany as well as in switzerland. DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT carry MJ with you if you dont want to have it confiscated and risking a fine. if you dont exceed larger amounts, say 5 gramms, you will not be arrested. it is even illegal in the netherlands, but it's TOLERATED up to five gramms.

bongs, pipes, papers, vaporizers, as long as they're reasonably clean may get you a raised eyebrow, but nothing more.
but even them i would avoid bringing on flights as to avoid cavity-searches or the like.

i was born and live in switzerland, so that may account for some credibility..

seeds are illegal in germany and switzerland as well. but since they cannot be sniffed out by a k-9.. well, you run your chances of confiscation in case of a thorough search.

Back
Top Bottom