Germinating In Starter Plugs

Moshe

After many years of paying exorbitantly for mediocre merchandise, I've taken the plunge in growing my own. Recently I bought a PC Grow Box, and after receiving my White Widow seeds from Crop King, was told to do the following by my box vendor's tech support.

Place the seeds in the supplied starter plugs, which go into the supplied net pots. Surround the plugs in the pots with the supplied red clay stones up to the rim of the pots. Fill the reservoir with tap water till the water just comes into contact with the bottom of the pots, and turn on the pump with no lights. Can anyone tell me about how long it will take for something to happen using this method? I am quite new at this, and would appreciate some words of encouragement. It's been three days now, and the starter plugs just sit there doing nothing. Is there some way to include a photo of what I've done? Much thanks in advance.

Ok well there is a germination guide for crop kings
Marijuana Seeds Canada - Germinate - Crop King Seeds
follow this guide and you will have plants fast.
hydroponics
then once you have a small sprout of 1/4 inch you can place it in the hole of the medium i assume is rockwool? which i hope you presoaked in 5.5ph water for a couple hours?
I am about to do the exact same thing tonight.

After many years of paying exorbitantly for mediocre merchandise, I've taken the plunge in growing my own. Recently I bought a PC Grow Box, and after receiving my White Widow seeds from Crop King, was told to do the following by my box vendor's tech support.

Place the seeds in the supplied starter plugs, which go into the supplied net pots. Surround the plugs in the pots with the supplied red clay stones up to the rim of the pots. Fill the reservoir with tap water till the water just comes into contact with the bottom of the pots, and turn on the pump with no lights. Can anyone tell me about how long it will take for something to happen using this method? I am quite new at this, and would appreciate some words of encouragement. It's been three days now, and the starter plugs just sit there doing nothing. Is there some way to include a photo of what I've done? Much thanks in advance.

GOOch:

First off, much thanks for the quick reply- highly appreciaed. What I bought was the Dealzer PC Grow Box 2.0. Even though Dealzer told me that the instructions were very simple for beginners like me, they were anything but. Fortunately, Dealzer has a very good tech guy by the name of Bob, who is always there to help. The method I described is straight from Bob. Basically, the idea is that the seeds will germinate and grow in the starter plugs. From what I gather, after the seeds start sprouting, the water in the reservoir is ph'd to 5.5, the grow lights go on, and the nutrients are added. There is no rock wool involved. This germination in starter plugs was begun about three days ago, but I just don't have a good feeling about anything happening soon (maybe I'm wrong). So, I guess I'll give Bob a call tomorrow and voice my doubts to him. Perhaps, I'll post the results on this site after I find something out.

well from my understanding when you germinate that way it can take 5-7 days. have patience make sure the environment is correct humid and warm.
i personally dont soak seeds overnight but i do use the wet paper towel method very successfully, and this is my first time going hydro so my first time with rockwool, but i have seen it done many times in video no really different from dirt, make a big hole cover it and bamm

GOOch:

5 to 7 days- that's what two people I know very well said to me. By this time you must have surmised that I'm what you call a 'virgin grower' (I've always bought the stuff knowing only that it somehow came out of the ground). Incidentally, I've been a consumer for 50 (yes, 50) years, and remember that in the 60's you could buy 'exotic' blends named 'Viet Nam Red' and 'Jamaican Tops' to name a few- very potent high. But, I'm glad you seem to accept Bob's method as being viable, and giving me the best possible advice of being patient. Much thanks for the input.

well i too am technically a newbie, as i have grown in the past (20 years ago). I am just starting out again. I have done many years of research and collecting various items that I am now using. Technically you can take a seed put it in dirt and keep it moist and bam u got a flower, but working with organics is very very very difficult so your choice to go hydroponics is a good one, since its some what easier in the long run. The method bob suggested in used all the time, but because as humans we are very impatient the paper towel method is a great choice, and you see it happening, and then you gently place it into the medium and wait less. There are hundreds if not thousands of variations in strains/names. but regardless of the strain if you like body high and psychedelic like high then wait till the trichromes are cloudy/red, if you like the heady uplifting type of high pull it when they are cloudy/clear

I just did some research on the box you purchased, interesting choice, very small, I am working with a tent that is 1m sq x 7ft tall, and the room i am building is 7x10. Then again where i am its legal for me to grow. I am not sure where you are in the world I am in the USA Ma.

Most regrettably, I live in the very un-enlightened state of New Jersey where our distinguished governor has vowed to outlaw grass throughout the U.S. if he becomes Pesident (which he won't). Yes, the Dealzer PC Box is chiefly designed for stealth growing and all I'm really looking forward to is a yield for personal consumption (not commercial). Perhaps, if I am successful with the PC Box I may look at a larger box down the road. 70 square feet of growing area seems like a manor farm to me. Even though the Dealzer ad boasts a yield of a pound of dried matter per annum, Bob tells me that conservatively speaking, I can expect almost 3 ounces every 3 months, which would total about 12 ounces per year. I'm glad he's straight with me. Just hope my seeds are able to germinate.

Well, NJ does have medical weed, but the required illnesses for it are very precise, and no responsible MD is going to get himself into trouble. As a state, we are not as enlightened as Scagway, Alaska!

Pardon me, that's Skagway. Today is day four, and nothing has yet happened. The pump is running and the starter plugs are just sitting there staring up at me with nothing new to report. I am wondering if the seeds from Crop King fall into that 20% that simply don't germinate (just my luck). Well, the only thing left to do is be patient and give Bob a call with my concerns. I had a funny feeling this would be difficult. *sigh*

well its only as difficult as you want it to be. im sure if you followed bobs instructions and have patience they will grow, but in the future use the germination guide from the place you buy the seeds, because they know the best methods. Not to say bob is wrong im sure his method works, but if you google germinate seeds for hydroponics you will see many ways. Since i do not know anything of these plugs of even the system you bought i will give general insights.
Some things you should invest in.
PH meter ideally one that does ppm also
a bottle of ph up
a bottle of ph down
if your tap water is higher then 6.5 then its not going to be a good outcome for growing in hydro as you need a ph of between 5.5 and 6.5 ish in order for the nutrients to uptake to the plant. test your water with the ph tester and adjust it with the ph up and down after you add your nutrients

Nothing that is worthwhile comes with out difficulties, and requires patience
Pardon me, that's Skagway. Today is day four, and nothing has yet happened. The pump is running and the starter plugs are just sitting there staring up at me with nothing new to report. I am wondering if the seeds from Crop King fall into that 20% that simply don't germinate (just my luck). Well, the only thing left to do is be patient and give Bob a call with my concerns. I had a funny feeling this would be difficult. *sigh*

Any news on your girls?

ok so sunday night i began germinating some crown royal seeds using the paper towel method= soak a paper towel wrap the seeds in it, keep it in the dark, 1 day and a half I have tap roots, and i have placed them into the rockwool, i am hoping tomorrow or the next day i will have signs of life.

That sounds very good. As for me, I put my two White Widow seeds in the starter plugs last Friday, and lo and behold, Monday evening the tap root starting pushing its way up through the plugs. Today, Tuesday, they're about an inch high. Bob had me turn on the grow lights and the two fans (pump was already on), and at the bottom of the net pots I can see one root sticking out per plant. Tomorrow we will substitute the tap water for distilled water, and when the round leaves fall off, we'll start with nutrients and eventually the PH'd water with the lights for flowering. Not looking too bad.

Moshe thats great news, as i said im sure everything will be fine it just takes patience, even through out the grow have patience if you make a change somewhere make sure you take time afterward to see the reaction, dont expect instant gratification keep us posted and upload some pics

@gooch: Yes. Today Bob instructed me to substitute the tap water with distilled water at a 5.5 ph, plus Grow nutrient and Calcium Mag, with the lights, fan, and pump remaining on. Keeping the distilled water at 5.5 is a pain in the neck, but Bob said not to mess with it too much because I might wind up with burned leaves. The seedlings are well over an inch tall with each having a nice root protruding from the bottom. I'm supposed to leave this set up for about ten days. It looks like the patience you so wisely suggest will have to be applied to this very long seedling stage. Much thanks for the well wishes and excellent advice.

Patience! From what I hear it's something that you will learn throughout the growing process. Something I often struggle with myself. Glad the plugs worked for you Moshe.

Back
Top Bottom