Germinating In Starter Plugs

@gooch: Oh, things just got worse than buying the wrong pH kit. I very stupidly managed to destroy one of my seedlings when the door to my PC box accidentally slipped out of my hand and crushed one of the seedlings. I'm afraid I'm completely hopeless when it comes to this- completely! I should have continued getting ripped off for inferior merchandise from shady dealers. Hell and damnation! With only one seedling growing yellow, perhaps, I should start all over again? I'll see what Bob says tomorrow. Much thanks for all your help, but I still think I'm hopeless!

not at all man, dont beat yourself up its a learning process, you think just cause your an adult you should know how all this shit works? it is suppose to be a challenge something that will hook you like a drug, not the drug just the growing part. I got hooked 20 years ago when i had my only successful grow and it produced such a great plant even if it wasnt perfect it was perfect just like a child, and i have just started seeking that again. Relax take a breath you still have 1 good seedling, did you only buy 2 seeds? if you bought more just start another consider what happen like miscarriage(I am sorry if any woman has actually had one as i am just trying to create a reference, my condolences are sincere)
Do not give up

@gooch: Words are insufficient with which to tell you how glad I am to have made your acquaintance. Taking a deep breath. I really am abidingly grateful for all the kind words and for the sympathy you show such a Klutz as me. You're right- back to the drawing board. You know, when I first started this endeavor, even though I have a million other responsibilities, I couldn't keep my mind off growing my very own stock. It has been such a mind trip for me constantly thinking about this all day long. Yes, it can be very addictive, and most probably so, after you grow something successfully. Hopefully, I'll be able to learn from my mistakes, especially the really stupid ones!

Now then, I originally bought 5 White Widow seeds from Crop King, and they added 3 freebies- very generous. So, I have six left with which to play. Tomorrow, I'll ask Bob for his advice. Should I give up on the yellowing seedling I have left and start all over again? Should I germinate another seed in the moist paper towel deal and stick it into the starter plug next to the seedling I didn't destroy? I'll leave these decisions up to him.

One way or the other, I'll keep you updated on how my progress is going (hopefully, I won't destroy any more seedlings or pH meters). At the risk of redundancy, let me say again how glad I am that you very quickly replied to my initial FAQ about germinating in starter plugs (which worked out great), and for the continuous correspondence, not to mention camaraderie, we share. In life, it is quite rare to meet fine outstanding people, and I want to thank you for being there for me. Will let you know how things work out. All the best!

Post Script: My wife says you are the voice of reason. And, she doesn't compliment easily.

Well here is my take on it although bob is glad to service your questions because he wants a satisfied customer who may recommend his system to someone else, btw seems like a decent system with out complete inspection. But bob has hopefully many other customers needs he has to meet also. This is an adventure, and you need to create experiments yourself in order to learn things, such as myself i just killed my first seed took it to 18 inches and put an led on top of her dumb ass mistake and cost me 2 months, but lesson learned, the best information you can find is online, you can find videos and forums such as these. But I would not keep on bob first off yes you definitely want to keep the yellowing one going, it will fix once it gets its food, yes germinate a new one, you can use the method you already successfully used or try a new one, im in the boat of always learning something new. since you only have room for 2 plants I assume? then i would only try and germinate one seed at a time, the paper towel method could take 2-3 days to put it into the medium then another 3-5days for it to come up. Either way take charge of your own situation and lets get this thing going

@gooch: Yes, I hear what you are saying, but in truth, Bob and I don't only talk about growing in the PC box. He and I seem to have developed a friendship, and we've spent quite a lot of time talking about several other subjects on the phone. As many times as I thank him for his assistance, he thanks me for being such a good customer (although I'm helpless). Yes, I agree with keeping the surviving plant going, especially since I'll have another pH meter in two days (should have left well enough alone). Let me get his take on how to germinate another seed and I'll get back to you with all the details. In truth, based on the mess I've made of things so far, I'm somewhat leery about experimenting on my own. But, I'll get back to you with all the details of my travails. Talk with you soon.

@gooch: Well, the way I originally germinated my seeds in the starter plugs was to do it in tap water in the dark with the pump running. But, now I have the grow lights on in my box with distilled water for the surviving seedling, and don't know if this will be conducive to germinating another seed. That's why I need to ask Bob, whom I wouldn't blame if he gave up on me (which just as you, he won't). Being a 'virgin grower,' all this hydroponic rigamarole is so overwhelming to me, and it seems that sticking seeds in soil wold be so much easier. But, I will persevere until I get this done. I think my main problem with all of this is a lack of comprehension. Professionally, I have always dealt with a ton of technical detail- translating ancient languages which are no more spoken, cataloging difficult concepts in their correct classifications, and teaching all this to my students. The thing is, the only way to effectively instruct others, is to initially assume that they know absolutely nothing whatsoever about the subject matter. When I first saw the instructions for my Dealzer, which were anything but the promised 'easy,' I emailed the company suggesting that instead of having growers write the manual, professional educators should be taught the systems, and they should do the writing (which probably wouldn't be cost effective). Being well instructed to do things on one's own is always better than blindly following instruction without much knowledge of what one is doing. But, you get my meaning. Oh well, tomorrow is another day, and we'll go back to the drawing board, and hopefully do something right for a change.

I suspect you should point bob towards this forum thread and it may make his end of things a little easier also. I suspect you could do something as simple as putting a cover over the new seed but in nature there is no permanent darkness, so if its inside the medium light likely wont affect it much, but a cover could be used, or germination could take place completely outside the system and then the plug could be inserted its just a matter of keeping it moist and warm. Believe me dirt is much harder because you need to understand microbiology and how it interacts with plants, hydro is fairly simple you need to know the ph, and mix the nutrients properly, and provide the correct light spectrum, as long as the roots get nuts and oxygen you will have success. ph is the key then making sure your measurments are correct

@gooch: Yes, that's an interesting idea about covering the germinating seed or germinating it outside the PC box. I'll put that to Bob and see what he says. When it sprouts, it can join the other seedling- very good idea. That way the new sprout will only be a few weeks behind the other. Much thanks for all the good advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

@gooch: I took your advice this morning and did some improvisation. Since the initial germination in the starter plugs worked so well with the Crop King seeds, I put another starter plug into the empty net pot, surrounded by the red clay rocks to hold it in place, dampened it, placed a third seed (5 left) into the plug, placed the entire net pot inside a container that has water in it (about a fifth of the way up the pot so it stays damp), and placed that in a dark spot in the cellar. In the interim, after my pH meter arrives on Tuesday, I'll give Bob a call on Wednesday (hopefully he'll still be talking to me after my stupid stunt), and we'll set up some more distilled water with the correct pH factor and nutrients. And, as soon as the seed germinates and sprouts, it'll be added back into the box over the reservoir. This is based on your last post of germinating outside the box. As you said, when the correct pH factor and the correct nutrients are set up, my single seedling should revert back to a healthy green (I hope). BTW, the surviving seedling, although a little yellow, is growing very nicely with a tiny third set of pointed leaves emerging. How does that sound to you? Once again, much thanks for all the help and advice.

@gooch: I just got off the phone with Bob, and must tell you that he's one of the most terrific people I've ever met. After informing him of what I stupidly managed to do yesterday, he told me not to worry. He said as far as the yellowing is concerned, just add a pinch of Calcium/Mag to the reservoir, and put the germinating seed into the reservoir even though the grow lights are on. After apologizing to him a thousand times for wasting so much of his time, he told me not to think about it, and call him the second the new pH meter arrives. I've got to tell you, if you're looking for fantastic tech support, Dealzer is the place to go. Did you really once buy a pH meter with a low number of 6.8? Unbelievable, isn't it?

Yea not only once but twice, once bought an entire kit for testing pools, then i bought strips, then i went to the hydro store, hopefully your new ph meter is easier to work with

@gooch: I hope so too, but today I learned that Sears messed up my order, and I haven't the slightest idea when the pH meter will arrive until they straighten out the mess. Wouldn't you know it? If I went into the lamp business, the Sun would begin shining at night! I told Bob about this, and he said that whether the stupid meter comes or not, I should call him by Friday and we'll change the water. My lone seedling seems to be doing well growing additional pointed leaves, although it's still a bit yellow. But, that won't straighten out until I can regulate the pH factor, which depends on how fast those idiots at Sears can straighten out the mess they created. If I recall, the seeds from Crop King took about four days to break through the starter plug, so I'm hoping that the one I started on Monday will sprout by Friday, which will make me feel better (still depressed at stupidly destroying the other seedling). Will keep you updated.

Yes there are 3 in new jersey that i could find so i assume one has to be close to you google will tell you

@gooch: Well, I just did the same search, and the closest hydro shop is more than an hour and a half away from the central Jersey shore where I live. But, if these idiots from Sears can't straighten things out, I may have no choice. Much thanks.

I just did a fresh search there is one in, caldwell, hackensack,gloucester city, hillborough,fairfield,secaucus, lake hopatcong,fort lee, and berlin

@gooch: The closest to me would be Caldwell, which is more than an hour ride. I was finally successful in contacting the pH meter vendor in Portland, OR, who gave me the tracking number. According to the USPS web site the meter was due yesterday, so I'm hoping it arrives tomorrow (maybe). If not, I may have to schlep to Caldwell. Will let you know.

Back
Top Bottom