Germinating seeds in rockwool

sadhu9

I have always used coir media to germinate seeds but now I am using DWC and would like to discontinue using media and go to rockwool cubes. My question is how wet should the cubes be after soaking them in 5.5-6.0 ph solution and placing the germinated seed in the rockwool cubes? Also, can you just mist the seedlings to keep them moist?
My other question is, I want to take the seedlings straight to 8" net pots from the 1.5" rockwool cubes they are in. Do you think this is missing another transplant between the cubes and net pot? Will the cube seedling get enough H2O and oxygen being so far from the bottom of the net pot?

Any help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

I sprout my seeds in rockwool cubes from the start and then at the same time I will also place them in a bubbler bucket filled to within a 1/4 inch of the bottom of the net pot. The bursting bubbles from the bubbler will keep the rockwool more than plenty wet. You can mist or handwater them if you like but it can be a pain in the rear if you forget to water them for a day or two. Generally the cubes need to only be moist and not saturated.

Thanks for the info...your's is the only comment I received!
I just wasn't sure if the RW could be soaking wet or not. As long as you leave them alone for the first week.

Thanks again...happy horticulture!!!!!!

You know you can do without the rockwool cubes all you have to do is wait for your seedlings to get long enough in a paper tower and place them in clay Pebbles and right in your bubble bucket no Rockwell needed

Back
Top Bottom