Germination and water question

goof1987

OK so I have always used the paper towel method to germinate seeds in the past but I have heard that direct plant into rapid rooters works well so I wanna try it. Now I will be using a top feed dwc system and my question is after I put the seeds in the rapid rooters do I then turn the water pump on and let it run or do I just put some water on the rapid rooter everyday to keep it moist? My second question is water. Where I live now we have a softener system because we have high amounts of iron and sulfer in the water(product of years of mining in my area) so do I use my softened water my straight water or do I need to buy water? I always used city water in the past but that's no longer an option without raising questions. Any advice is appreciated.

Rapid rooters work great. I have had much success with them. As far as the water goes... Get a ppm meter to check for hardness. A good RO system is recommended for Hydro because ammonia and chloramine kill alot of beneficial organic material in my opinion.

Do I turn my pump on and feed oxygenated water over the rapid rooters while the seeds are germinating or just keep the rooters moist by hand? And my water through the softener is about 600 ppm not through the softener is about 300 ppm. No amonia or chlorine just heavey iron with traces of sulfer and silica

Sounds like your hard water would be a good all by itself. Just make sure to let it sit for a day before use, just to be safe.

I wouldnt pump water directly over the plug for fear of drowning the little thing. Try to get the plug just above the water so your bubbles from your airstone splash the cube lightly till you get some sort of root system.

Are you doing a sterile or live reservoir ?

For now I'm doing sterile but not adding anything special to keep it that way. I started with a not so impressive budget and I blew most of it on lights and tent without thinking. My setup will be 2 femized northern lights from Nirvana in a 10 gallon resovor with 6 gallons of nutriant water. 2 10" air stones hydroton median with general hydroponics nutrients. Using a Mars hydro Mars 2 900 watt light inside of a Mars hydro 3'11" × 3'11" × 6'7" tent. Should I spend a bit more and get something to keep it steril or can I keep it clean on my own? I have never grown this way and it's been 7 years or more since I grew at all.

I wouldnt pump water directly over the plug for fear of drowning the little thing. Try to get the plug just above the water so your bubbles from your airstone splash the cube lightly till you get some sort of root system.

I grow in coco but start in Rapid Rooters. As Vestrimatrik said, the key is to keep the Rapid Rooter wet...but don't drown it.

Back
Top Bottom