Germination help

cuzzin33

So im new and im having a problem germinating. ive been through 6 seeds...2 attempts with 3 seeds. Out of all those 1 seed germinated and the tap root barely was out. Im doing exactly what everyone says. Lets seed soak...moist paper towl.....warm dark place for a day or 2....temp around 80 degrees.

Any ideas would be great. This was supposed to be the easy part lol

Welcome. Bottled spring water made a big difference for me. My well water is very hard, and the seeds had low viability when I used it. Fold the paper towel so it is a half inch thick or so, put it in a container(I use the bottom of a water bottle that I cut about 2 inches high) and put that on your modem or TV box.

I'm new also. Not having your seeds germinate sure is frustrating, especially considering the price of beans. Here's the guide I use. It works well and I even had one of my seeds sent out a small tap root when it was still in the cup of distilled water. Hope this helps.

Try stick with how nature intended. No soaking. Just pop the seed in a cup of decent soil. Water until saturated. Allow to dry a few hours ( not dry just not soaking wet) cover the top of the cup with a dome or plastic wrap and put them somewhere warm. The pop in the dark as well as the sun. I just drop them on my window. Remove the top for a few minutes once or twice a day and remove once your seed has broken ground and you are a for away. No need to complicate germination. I rarely have a seed not germinate. Last 30 I popped only one didn't make it. Good luck

Try stick with how nature intended. No soaking. Just pop the seed in a cup of decent soil. Water until saturated. Allow to dry a few hours ( not dry just not soaking wet) cover the top of the cup with a dome or plastic wrap and put them somewhere warm. The pop in the dark as well as the sun. I just drop them on my window. Remove the top for a few minutes once or twice a day and remove once your seed has broken ground and you are a for away. No need to complicate germination. I rarely have a seed not germinate. Last 30 I popped only one didn't make it. Good luck
Pretty much the way I set it up when starting with a seed. For the most part they will germinate and pop up in 2 to 3 days average.

I'm more interested in how/where the seeds were stored than the germination method. Multiple seeds and multiple attempts tell me the issue is probably the seeds, not the method. If you just bought them, the seller may not have stored them properly or they may have been exposed to high temps during transit. If you didn't just buy them, how and where did you store them?

Could also be poor genetics.

From my experience with around 150seeds from God knows how many suppliers.
If they don't pop it's your fault.
I've had 1 that turned black and died that I blame the supplier for.
2 others that I planted too deep so they got curled up and died. Those were my fault.
All the rest were 100% sweet.

I use root riots.
Just stuck the UNGERMED SEED in pointy side up at 10-15mm deep.
Any more and they can get stuck.
Any less and they come out with the shell on which can damage them.

No soaking seeds in mental nute mixes or ph'ing anything.

If your tap water isn't suitable then get a bottle of water from a shop.

Wet the cube and it'll pop anywhere other than the fridge.

Zero nutes for the first 5 days above ground.
Zero anything really.
Just stick a seed In.
Wet it.
Leave it vaguely warm, light or dark doesn't matter. Give it a couple days and a root will pop out the bottom then the plant will pop out.

Welcome to 420,cuzzin33:welcome:
How long are you waiting before you declare them "duds"?
I ask because I've had seeds pop in 72 hours,but I've also had them take 6 days.
If you're not giving them at least a week,you may be giving up on them too soon.
I do the soak/soil method-I skip the paper towel thing- my sausage fingers just aren't designed to handle anything that delicate...

I ask because I've had seeds pop in 72 hours,but I've also had them take 6 days.
If you're not giving them at least a week,you may be giving up on them too soon.
I do the soak/soil method-I skip the paper towel thing- my sausage fingers just aren't designed to handle anything that delicate...
Very good point mate. I've had them take 6 days fairly often when Im lazy and just chuck them into the drawer under my bed.
Perfect conditions takes 24-48 hours but shitty conditions do generally work if you wait a bit longer :)

Rapid Rooters - Foolproof.
rapid rooters.jpg

Soak in purified water.
Squeeze out the excess.
Put seed in the hole. No need for pre-germination.
Tear off a piece of the rooter and place in the hole.
Place in a drawer.
3-4 days they pop.
10 for 10 the last time.
4 days from planting.JPG

I use the same method - soak until they sink then place about 1/2" down in the soil. Keep the soil damp. Out of 8 seeds I've had 8 germ (I did kill one).

Rapid Rooters - Foolproof.
rapid rooters.jpg

Soak in purified water.
Squeeze out the excess.
Put seed in the hole. No need for pre-germination.
Tear off a piece of the rooter and place in the hole.
Place in a drawer.
3-4 days they pop.
10 for 10 the last time.
4 days from planting.JPG
Every time mate, definately root riots for the win. I've even managed to get them to pop straight from the bag. Not even watering them! Took like a week In a humidity dome but it worked :)

Back
Top Bottom