Germination in coco coir disks?

LilithNazare

I am an absolute beginner on growing so i have no idea what im doing and scared that i will not be able to even germinate my seeds.
I planted yesterday one seed in a coco coir disk but i dont know what else to do. The seed hole in the coco is a little too wide, should i have covered it with some of the coco over the seed? Should i keep it in a dark room or put it in the sun, or warm place, etc

Any help will be much appreciated!

I tried using the coco coir disks for a bit but I was running into the problem of them either being way to wet or dry. The few that I got to sprout would suck in all the moisture from the soil when I put them in pots. The roots wouldn't grow out into the surrounding soil because of all the moisture in the pod and eventually the roots rotted out on me. I've seen people use them successfully. I just never had any luck with them.

I've germinated them in a damp paper towel until they sprout and then placed them in soil. This is the better way to monitor, but I'm nervous about breaking the root during the planting process.

What I do now, is I soak them in water until they sink. (anywhere from a few hours to a day). Then I place them in a small pot of soil (think solo cup size) about 1/2 an inch down and make sure that it is warm and stays reasonably moist. The only issues I've had with this method is when the soil gets to wet. I normally keep them in a tray with a dome on it to keep the moisture consistent, but I've seen quite a few people that put plastic wrap over the top of the cup to keep the soil moisture locked in. The trick is to not get it too wet to start with. Go on the lighter side with water and add a tablespoon in a few days if you're still not seeing anything.

I must be redneck..I've had so much success just using a wet paper towel. I've used the resealable plastic containers lunch meat comes in. Then wet a paper towel and place seeds on half of it. Then cover with the other half. Lay the lid on & store in a dark place for a couple days.

I am an absolute beginner on growing so i have no idea what im doing and scared that i will not be able to even germinate my seeds.
I planted yesterday one seed in a coco coir disk but i dont know what else to do. The seed hole in the coco is a little too wide, should i have covered it with some of the coco over the seed? Should i keep it in a dark room or put it in the sun, or warm place, etc

Any help will be much appreciated!

I tried using the coco coir disks for a bit but I was running into the problem of them either being way to wet or dry. The few that I got to sprout would suck in all the moisture from the soil when I put them in pots. The roots wouldn't grow out into the surrounding soil because of all the moisture in the pod and eventually the roots rotted out on me. I've seen people use them successfully. I just never had any luck with them.

I've germinated them in a damp paper towel until they sprout and then placed them in soil. This is the better way to monitor, but I'm nervous about breaking the root during the planting process.

What I do now, is I soak them in water until they sink. (anywhere from a few hours to a day). Then I place them in a small pot of soil (think solo cup size) about 1/2 an inch down and make sure that it is warm and stays reasonably moist. The only issues I've had with this method is when the soil gets to wet. I normally keep them in a tray with a dome on it to keep the moisture consistent, but I've seen quite a few people that put plastic wrap over the top of the cup to keep the soil moisture locked in. The trick is to not get it too wet to start with. Go on the lighter side with water and add a tablespoon in a few days if you're still not seeing anything.

I must be redneck..I've had so much success just using a wet paper towel. I've used the resealable plastic containers lunch meat comes in. Then wet a paper towel and place seeds on half of it. Then cover with the other half. Lay the lid on & store in a dark place for a couple days.

I have tried all of these and with the coco pellets it was easier and no stress about ruining the tap root. Problem is.. when you re plant them.. you need to remember that the pellet is still there and keeps the water longer..so you have to be really careful when checking IF they need water.
I placed 7 seeds in water for 5 hrs and right after I placed them in pre soaked ( slightly shaken off not squeezed the extra water) coco pellets the same day. They all popped out the next day.
But we killed them with over watering.

Best way to germ seeds is paper towels, ive done thousands upon thousands this way.. Dont worry about damaging tap root, as long as you arent rough as hell. I use my fingers and transplant to rockwool for hydro or jiffy pellets for coco or soil.

When using the coco disc pack the seedling gently with coco. dont leave tap root exposed to light.

Back
Top Bottom