Germination in soil questions

I have a heating matt that I put a plate on, I do the paper towel in a bag deal on that plate for 24 hours and then put it directly into final pot. Sometimes the seed is just cracked sometimes it has a nice tail. But just a day in the paper towel on the heated plate before entering final medium and I have very high success rate. And I'm a total noob too

@Deketx Hi Dex. Yeah i've been watering them similar to your photo since then. MY soil is generally darker so might seem like its wet perhaps. Im following Emilya's watering guide which reccomends what youre doing. imagine that is what you are reffering to. Im waterin in a circle around the plant but not directly on it.
Well using @Emilya watering guide is the way to go with out a doubt. She is my cannabis Sherpa/sensei and has guided me along my way. I'm hoping to get a new grow belt this year, lol.

I'm just thinking your soil is just too wet. Stop watering. Give it a few days before you do anything. If you're lucky enough to have the bud Sherpa chime in do what she says. Hell go read her past posts and I'm sure you'll learn a lot. I did.

Don't worry about the 30°C, it's not dangerous for a little while. Some people even grow in temps close to that.
my balcony gets into the mid 30's easily in summer time, too hot I know but it is what it is!
in the pic above i posted there is a pot with cling film still on it , this was seeds that would not germ for me a while back so im given them another go this way , i don't want to throw away a couple of hundred seeds that i bred , all good strains lol , i am hoping this method will crack them too :cheesygrinsmiley:
How did they go in the end? I am about to throw out the last of 5 Mexican Sativa seeds of which just one germinated and unfortunately that one got membrane throttled for a couple of days before spotting it to deal with, needless to say the patient didn't recover. Anyway the last Mexican sativa has been in damp paper towels for at least 3 weeks now and I have wiped it clean of mold twice, I just don't think it is viable. Makes me wonder is it the seeds or is it because it needs a different germination 'stimulation'? Like the Australian wattle seeds that don't germinate unless a bush fire passes over them, just wondered.

Well for those that followed so far and for @Stunger. Things shaped out well. There was a mishap with my lights (god darn power jack snapped off). One of the seedlings got a bit leggy I feel during that repair phase. Ladies both germed and looking healthy otherwise. If it helps, I germinated directly in my final container, which is technically less successful? Then again i picked the seeds carefully choosing auto that reported high germ rates. I definitely think genetics has a part to play like any other plant you'd sow.

Maybe the seeds were bad ,or from a bad crop? Were they being stored for a while? Honestly think guys like nutty and vet who replied first to this thread can chime in better.

IMG_1031.JPG

Want to add im concerned the legginess is spurred out from the heat. As you can see on the hygrometer, rooms measuring at 27. I put it a the base to get a rough idea of the pot's temperature. Really worried about the heat here @NuttyProfessor @VetSmoke85 Dont meant to hassle ya but thought you could help heh.

I moved the lights real close from 24 inche sto now 12 on account the 24 was an example for a 240w LED. Mines a 120. Really hope the high temps aren't damaging it

@NuttyProfessor Ive gotta get more soil tommorow. For now ive set this fan on timer (since i have no oscilator). Goes on for 10 and off for 5 secconds.

@VetSmoke85 The soil level temps are reading at 29 degrees. Hoping the fan brings it down as its blowing at the leaf level between the light and plant.

Basically since my LED broke, they've been outta light for 12 hours. Perhaps this is the culprit

@NuttyProfessor I've topped up the soil and setup a seccond fan to drive temps down. Holding at a constant 25 degrees now. Soil on the closer plant is a bit loose(can get fluffed easily with a finger). Hoping she turns out fine. I changed the light distances a few times to observe whats best. I've put it at around 18ish for now, if it seems to stretch ill probably pull it in a little closer. In regards to autos and time lost, how significantly will this, if at all, affect the grow from your exp?

IMG_1041.JPG

@NuttyProfessor I've topped up the soil and setup a seccond fan to drive temps down. Holding at a constant 25 degrees now. Soil on the closer plant is a bit loose(can get fluffed easily with a finger). Hoping she turns out fine. I changed the light distances a few times to observe whats best. I've put it at around 18ish for now, if it seems to stretch ill probably pull it in a little closer. In regards to autos and time lost, how significantly will this, if at all, affect the grow from your exp?

IMG_1041.JPG

ive never had a problem with autos , its after week 4/5 they can stall and flower , i always start them small pots and by week three i have them replanted , you haven't up potted so your autos are fine and will grow as normal

They are fine. Down load an app to check your lights intensity. It's not perfect but will give you an idea.
Some get leggy, it happens even with optimal light. Just brace them and they will grow fine.
And don't worrying about time frames and what the seed Co. says . Use your eyes and what is happening in your grow. I have yet to get an Auto that does what the seed bank claims time wise. Done in 60 days from seed...bullshit. Your plants will dictate their time frame.

Try to get that water in a ring around the stems away from it the same height they are and dont put it directly on the stem. All the action is happening under the soil. The tap root is as deep right now as that is tall if not more. When they say top off the bag to start this is pretty topped off
20201130_095541.jpg

@Terepeneterrapin, If I may add my 2 cents... 1st, it looks like U're getting some great advice here from lots of good people. For me, I have found that germinating in wet paper towels works quite well. Having said that, many different methods work for many different people for many different reasons. I have done the germ in soil, in jiffy plugs, in rooting sponges, etc. and I have found that I get 100% germination, 100% of the time, in wet paper towels; even with seeds that are many years old. It's not always the same for every grower; you'll have to find what works best for you. So, if U're curious, try the wet paper towel method for your next germination and see if it's for you.

Hope this helps :Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom