Germination method?

GreenLiv

Hello. I have read about the paper towel method and just planting straight to container.
Can an experienced member tell me which would be better for a new grower?

Either one will work and the requirements are pretty much the same for both. I prefer the paper towel (or cloth) method because I like to see what's happening.
IMO the two basic requirements are good moisture levels and good temps.
The main killer of sprouts and seedlings is rot from wet conditions. Any sort of cool temperatures compound the problem. So keep your temps on the warm side of room temperature, around 80 degrees or in the low 80s. Not below 75.
Whether sprouting in the soil (or whatever medium you use), or sprouting separately and planting after, the medium should be just only moist. Imagine a freshly baked loaf of bread that is still warm - moist and steamy. That sort of moisture level. Premix your soil/medium to the moisture level you want and let it even out overnight if possible in a warm spot.

I sprout the following way these days- I take a container with a lid, Tupperware or whatever, and put a wet piece of cloth or paper towel in the bottom. I crumple it up a bunch so it's not laying flat. I put my seeds tucked in an upper fold of the cloth so that they aren't laying in the very bottom of the container. So maybe a half inch, or an inch off the bottom. Then I put the lid on loosely and put it in a warm spot.

It's warm and (presumably) humidity is 100%. These are the conditions that matter.

Nice to have warmth from underneath, so put it on a shelf or something, not on a cold floor. With any healthy seeds I usually have 1" sprouts after 48 hours.
This is just one method. There are many ways to arrive at the same conditions, including planting directly in the soil. In reality it takes me about two minutes. I dunk the paper towel, squeeze it out a little, crumple it and toss it in the container, tuck a few seeds in one of the folds, and put the lid on. I don't need to check it for a couple days though I will if I am around.

Back
Top Bottom