Germination - Soaking in water first

Justones

So I normally just soak & germinate seeds in wet paper towel. But being I had to buy some I'm taking extra measure to make sure it works. I read to soak in water for 24 hours first. Then use moist paper towel or put in jiffy pellet (peat moss). My question is, is the seed supposed to sink? Because it's been 12 hours and she's still floating.

I soak 48 hours. Sometimes they sink on their own, sometimes I give them a tap so they'll sink. Usually at 48 hours you can see the slightest white of the taproot emerging. Then I soak them in a wet paper towel until the taproot is 1/4". Works every time for me

I poke them the next morning to see if they sink, i rekon the seed takes on moisture which then enables it to sink. i put in wet kitchen paper and put that into a zip bag and put in warmish dark place, ready to plant next day usually. regards

Logically, I tried poking it first lol. I'll wait and see. Looks like it's getting slightly heavier (moisture soaking in) it's not as buoyant.
Thanks for the input.

Well, I soaked in water for about 18/20 hours. Put in moist papper towel in a dark place at 70 degrees. Seed didn't open yet. It's disappointing to make a first seed purchase. One of those seeds being this one that was $13 for a dud. Plus not to mention the place didn't honor the at the time current promo code listed on this site. So it's a double edged sting.

Don't want to be a kill joy but sometimes a seed is a dud and just doesn't germinate.

If a seed is old I have heard that scruffing them up a little with gently rubbing on an emery board before dropping in water helps. I drop mine in warm water overnight and after they sink I put them in paper towel inside a Ziploc bag. Keep them in a warm (not hot) location in the dark for 24-48 hours and you should see a nice tap root.

If they don't pop in 7-10 days they may be a dud.

So I normally just soak & germinate seeds in wet paper towel. But being I had to buy some I'm taking extra measure to make sure it works. I read to soak in water for 24 hours first. Then use moist paper towel or put in jiffy pellet (peat moss). My question is, is the seed supposed to sink? Because it's been 12 hours and she's still floating.
I soak em in seedling week 1 feed for dwc flora trio expert and I try to pop em first if I can two finger death squeeze em then I soak em usually takes about 45 mins to drop to bottom of cup

Back
Top Bottom