Germination stopped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm germinating a Quick One from Royal Queen.

Scarified the seed, and planted 1/8" down in Miracle Grow seed starting mix. It's shallow enough that I'm able to remove a small layer of soil to check progress each day, and not have to worry about breaking a taproot with my big fingers.

I did not do the 24 hour water soak previously. Just straight to soil.

After about 18 hours the seed split, the taproot is visible along the crack, and it's just SLIGHTLY outside the shell a little.

Since then, I have seen zero progress. Is there a normal period where things slow down? The visible growth stopped for about 36 hours now. The taproot is still bright/white and shows no signs of rot or being dead or anything like that.

I have kept the soil moist, and the temp in here is 70-72 degrees, so I had it sitting under my desk lamp to keep it warmer. I checked the temp frequently, and soil temp never exceeded 80 degrees.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated! And I'll update if I see any changes after this post is made.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:
ResizedImage_1393149601151.jpg

Keep in in soil and do not let light hit root. Some seed take longer then others. you rick making seed sick by touching it. You should be fine just keep soil on top add water and wait.My Big Buds took 3 days if you click on my link you will see her seeding and now growing up. Happy Growing

CO Finest is right, roots do not like the light. I would plant it a little deeper than 1/8", so when the sprout comes up that shell is ready to come off. Ideally it's planted deep enough that the shell is left in the soil, doesn't always happen...but that's the way it should work.
Try at least 1/2"-1"
It's best to put it in the soil with the taproot down. Give it a few days.... and don't dig it up, it still looks healthy. Lights are not needed on the soil before it sprouts. Roots like the dark. Gotta have some patience...I know it's hard. LOL
:thumb:

Be Patient.. That's funny. Right now, telling me to be patient is like telling a kid on Christmas morning "You have to wait until Daddy wakes up" lol

I haven't used Cannabis in over 10 years, and having recently found that it could be a solution to numerous ailments I suffer from (As well as numerous issues my girlfriend has, and as well as new things I'm learning about it being able to help my 13 year old dog), I'm beyond excited to get this grow started. I'd like to see some seedlings YESTERDAY! But alas, good things come with time.

I've misted with h2o2 (did roughly a 10:1 mix of h2o:h2o2, hopefully that's adequate), ditched the miracle grow, and have each seed in its own 3" pot in standard potting soil. No extra fertilizers or any extra junk. Taproot pointed down, and pointed end of the other seed pointing down also. Both are in my grow tent now, lights off. I'll update when I have some HOPEFULLY good news to report.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Be Patient.. That's funny. Right now, telling me to be patient is like telling a kid on Christmas morning "You have to wait until Daddy wakes up" lol

I haven't used Cannabis in over 10 years, and having recently found that it could be a solution to numerous ailments I suffer from (As well as numerous issues my girlfriend has, and as well as new things I'm learning about it being able to help my 13 year old dog), I'm beyond excited to get this grow started. I'd like to see some seedlings YESTERDAY! But alas, good things come with time.

I've misted with h2o2 (did roughly a 10:1 mix of h2o:h2o2, hopefully that's adequate), ditched the miracle grow, and have each seed in its own 3" pot in standard potting soil. No extra fertilizers or any extra junk. Taproot pointed down, and pointed end of the other seed pointing down also. Both are in my grow tent now, lights off. I'll update when I have some HOPEFULLY good news to report.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

:thumb: Just keep singing "...all we need is just a little patience..." (Guns and Roses)

After having germination issue with Jiffy peat moss pucks and soil I switched to Rapid Rooters and have had much higher germination rates. Rapid Rooters seem to provide the seed with the perfect amount of air and moisture. I soak my seeds in pH adjusted water for 30-36 hours or until i see tap roots. I cut the Rapid Rooter mat into individual squares then I soak the Rapid Rooter squares in pH adjusted water for 15 minutes before use. then I the seeds into the Rapid Rooter square then place them underneath a light with 18/6 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness. I do not use a humidity dome. I hand water with a syringe each day to keep the Rapid Rooter square moist. when I see roots emerge from the Rapid Rooter square I transplant to 5" pots in a mixture of peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and mycorrhizae.

https://generalhydroponics.com Rapid Rooter

https://www.perfectgardens.com gh rapid rooter mat 98

https://www.accesshydroponic.com rapid rooter mat

Ok I snuck a quick peek today.

The first seed has its taproot growing again, and the second seed that I started 2 days after the first seed, is growing at the same rate, and has the same length taproot now.

So it appears that everything is well now that I've put them into plain potting soil. This will be the last time I buy miracle grow. I'm definitely going to stick with fertilizing myself from now on.

Thank you all for the help and advice!

KingJohn, I'm going to give those Rapid Rooters a shot next time around on my next set of plants, which should probably be late spring/early summer when these two are done. Thank you!

Good to hear Antics! I've read over and over about Miracle grow being too "hot", especially for seedlings. Good choice to change the soil for sure, in my opinion. :thumb:

Without a doubt! I scarified the second seed, did NOT soak it for 24 hours in water or anything like that. After scarifying, I put it right into the normal soil, and in 24 hours its already cracked, and the taproot is the same length as one that has been sitting in MG for like 4 days. That's proof enough for me.

Thank you all again for the help, Reputation added for all of you for taking time out to help. I know it's not a cold beer or a packed pipe.. but it's the best I can do here :)

every single seed i have planted for the last 18 months has cracked and grown.
cup of 30c tap water, drop seeds in,put in grow room but in shade, come back tommorow and plant in allmix. drown the hell out of the soil.
then leave it alone, no touching, no poking, no checking, no watering...nothing till i give the first feed on a standard biobiz regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom