Getting Creative With Cannabis

Ron Strider

One stereotype about cannabis users that really gets under my skin is that we are all lazy bums, flopped on the couch all day, doing nothing. Yet nearly everyone I know who uses cannabis is productive, driven, and creative. And for many of them, like myself, cannabis is an important part of our process.

For me, cannabis plays a specific role in getting work done. When it's time to sit down and write Stash Box, I will usually load a bowl in my glass bubbler with some sativa-dominant strain like Sage N Sour or Caramel Reserve–something to keep me stimulated and focused as I research the piece. It also puts me in an upbeat, goofy mood. With just a puff or two, I'm in the zone. I'll throw on some old-school jams and knock out my piece in a few hours.

When I'm not writing Stash Box, I'm writing and lecturing on witchcraft and metaphysics. This type of research is totally different–I really want to immerse myself in the information. Sometimes I need to do this completely sober, but other times I want to "set the mood" and get much higher, and stay higher longer. I've tried two main methods of incorporating cannabis into this kind of work: bong rips and joints, and dabs and joints. The results have varied.

Dabs and joints induces a state that is like watching myself get the work done. For one recent session, I started with a nice-sized hit of some sativa-dominant resin Cherry Lemon Haze. Giving myself a few minutes to let the dab settle in, I lit some incense and piled up my books. When I felt like I needed to supplement my high, I smoked indica-dominant hybrid joints. Time is a funny thing on dabs, and what felt like a half-hour ended up being five. When I came to, I found I had taken a ton of notes, but couldn't remember a single word I'd read. So I got a lot done but didn't really retain much. Likewise, when I have dabbed multiple days in a row, my short-term memory loss has became more and more pronounced.

Bong rips and joints have been a more productive and manageable path when writing. It's basically the same method: I start with a few good rips from an iced bong with a sativa-dominant hybrid that still has a great body high, like the classic New York Sour Diesel. (There's a reason that strain is a classic.) Then as the hours go by, I'll maintain this high with, specifically, prerolls from Grassroots Bake Shoppe. I really just love the way their joints burn; if you don't constantly hit them, they tend to put themselves out, which perfectly suits being in the flow of writing and taking a drag or two now and then.

Ultimately, though, it's been about finding balance and using cannabis to facilitate my process, and I am always open to new methods. What works for you?

Sea_Stash_Hero_-_James_the_Stanton.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Getting Creative With Cannabis | Seattle Weekly
Author: Meagan Angus
Photo Credit: James the Stanton

Back
Top Bottom