Getting Hempy With It 2019

I didn't like the double sided thermal tape at all. I found that thermal paste and screwing down the strips to the mounting surface was a better route. The tape does work and it is a royal pain in the butt to remove if you ever want to. I envisioned the tape giving me a nice and tight mating surface to the heat sink, but it wasn't like that since the tape has it's own thickness. Looked weird and than started to separate at points from the diode silicon. I grabbed some self tapping screws and thermal paste. Spread that stuff fairly thin and than attached. It squished out between the diodes and the heat sink. Making for a nice fit.
I didn't like the tape either.
I noticed a few areas in the construction that could be biult upon.

As long as the pieces work like they say then this will be my starting point. For drivers and light strips and stuff.

i never used tape building the cobs. i know a few guys who swear by the paste. the tape is convenient, that's its main selling point. you can use the paste for multiple things as well.

Here are the wiring diagrams.

awww crap. now you got me contemplating a samsung strip / citizen cob upgrade build using two drivers. :idea:

Just subbing. Been wanting to try Hempy too. Also want to build an LED, but way too much money.

they are not too bad now. can do them about a third cheaper than 2 -3 yrs ago. may just be our dollar caught up a bit tho as i buy electronic stuff mostly over borders.

it is well worth the plunge Fert.

er, both hempy and the light that is ;)

So my Hempy 3some are still going. Not sure about the skunk baby. Seems a little weak.
But King Tut and Jack are digging in.

If I build two of these.

Useing 3000k strips for one and 4000k strips for the other, alternating the 8 strips. To make one QB with two drivers so I have veg and bloom settings or should I just use one drive with one dimmer or potentiometer?

Thoughts?

are you running separate veg and flower spaces ? if so do dedicated veg / flower lights. otherwise maybe shoot for a 3000k/3500k light built as full spectrum. i made that compromise on my cob builds.

If I build two of these.

Useing 3000k strips for one and 4000k strips for the other, alternating the 8 strips. To make one QB with two drivers so I have veg and bloom settings or should I just use one drive with one dimmer or potentiometer?

Thoughts?

There are far more knowledgeable than myself when it comes to building these things, but at least from what I've seen, anywhere between 3000-4000 is fine and there is not a big enough performance difference between the two ends of that range to justify the additional expense of the redundancy. Pick 3000, 3500, or 4000 and you'll be fine using the single spectrum start to finish. Personally I ended up with 3500k. That was more the choice at the time because the better COB's were of that spectrum. Now that QB's have become so popular, and they make theirs as either 3000 or 4000, 3000 has become more the rage.

Is it a 32"x32" like mine? I did the 3x3 build under the guise of "you can never have enough light". The 3x3 bulds are actually 24"x24" so they fit inside. You can always run it a bit higher or turn it down via the pot if needed.

Is it a 32"x32" like mine? I did the 3x3 build under the guise of "you can never have enough light". The 3x3 bulds are actually 24"x24" so they fit inside. You can always run it a bit higher or turn it down via the pot if needed.
It's 30"×30". So jump up to this then. Sounds like a plan.

System Specs:
Type: C.V./Parallel

Diode Count: 720

System Voltage: 46.8V

System Current: 6,700mA

System Power: 313.3W

Lumen Estimate (3000K): 52,777

Efficacy: 168 lm/w

Wiring Diagram:

Back
Top Bottom