Getting ready to start my own grow! any advice!

skunkybaby

Hi!
I am getting ready to start my own grow....
i am planning on using a dark room dr60 grow tent (60cmx60cmx140cm)
which comes with 1x High output CFL system with 25ow blue and 250w red eco-light, 1x grasslin timer, 1x value fan and filter package, 1x micromark 6" fan and 2x easyrolls.....the type of soil i am planning on using is fox-farm planting mix which is a mix of organic peat, composted forest humus, earthworm castings, nrowegian kelp meal and bat guano....the type of nutrients i am planning to use are the fox-farm nutrient trio - quarts which include big bloom, grow big and tiger bloom...just gonna be using water from a kitchen tap....the seeds i am using will be feminized northern lights and autoflowering lowryder 2.....
.....I would really appreciate all the advice i can get....was also wondering when to start feeding my plants nutrients and how often i should be watering them....from seedling onwards...
many thanks
skunkybaby

Re: Getting ready to start my own grow!! any advice!!

If you've never grown before think about trying hydro it's very easy and inexpensive.There are many tutorials on this site . Just look for "Roseman" in one of the threads, under his name you'l find many links to his great informative posts!! You'll see how easy it is , check out other peoples grow journels for more tips and pics. Glad to see ya here lots to learn and in no time you'l be smokin your own home grown !! :peace:

Start out small with only 1 or 2 plants at a time in the beginning until you get a firmer grip on what you are doing. I have seen a few examples recently where people have started out with a large amount of plants and lost them all in the first few weeks. If your first two start off as gangbusters and all seems well then start another two and so on... Good seeds are expensive..

Make sure you read some of the grow journals such as Screwnuts33 from beginning to finish... There is a wealth of information there that will help you be successful right away as a grower.

Good Luck my friend...

Buy a PH meter and PH up/down.

amen :grinjoint:

... and i don't know if i would use tap water if was u... filtered water is best, you don't want to start with all the particals... if you get a ppm meter you can see most tap water is not good

the type of soil i am planning on using is fox-farm planting mix which is a mix of organic peat, composted forest humus, earthworm castings, nrowegian kelp meal and bat guano....

good stuff.. make sure you get perlite for it...

If you've never grown before think about trying hydro it's very easy and inexpensive.There are many tutorials on this site . Just look for "Roseman" in one of the threads, under his name you'l find many links to his great informative posts!! You'll see how easy it is , check out other peoples grow journels for more tips and pics. Glad to see ya here lots to learn and in no time you'l be smokin your own home grown !! :peace:

Haha, you beat me to it ol hippy!

I agree, take a second and go to the hydroponics section of the site. You will see DWC/Deep Water Culture up top. Click on it and check out what people are doing with Deep Water Culture. It is very easy and much more fun than dirt. Plus your growth rate is WAY faster, 1/2"-1" a day!

Read my journal in the Journals In Progress section. My first grow was 22 plants, although my assistant has more experience, so I've learned it all pretty quickly.

That is a matter of opinion my friend :peace:

What part? Easy or fun?

IMO it is easy if you don't mind working a little. I like to tinker and be involved everyday with my grow, that's why it's fun to me.

It is all a matter of opinion. Results are a matter of fact though.

I have nothing against dirt for outdoor grows or for momma plants, I have nothing against dirt at all actually. With Deep Water Culture you can harvest in 3 months, I think we all agree there is nothing wrong with that.

:peace:YD

both, it not always easier.. and not necessarily funner.. maybe to you...

sure the results are in... but you have to know what your doing.. you can't just jump into hydro and have everything under your belt (where as dirt you don't need to be as precise) so i would say its not easier for a beginner.
and funner.. i guess if you have time and like messing around with a bunch of extra tubes and pumps and tubs, that's not for me. i like my smoke natural

off topic... just wondering... can you tell me one place in nature that cannabis grows naturally in hyrdo?

both, it not always easier.. and not necessarily funner.. maybe to you...

sure the results are in... but you have to know what your doing.. you can't just jump into hydro and have everything under your belt (where as dirt you don't need to be as precise) so i would say its not easier for a beginner.
and funner.. i guess if you have time and like messing around with a bunch of extra tubes and pumps and tubs, that's not for me. i like my smoke natural

off topic... just wondering... can you tell me one place in nature that cannabis grows naturally in hyrdo?

Let's not misquote what I said. I never said it is easier than dirt. I said it is easy. And yes you can "jump" right in. I read Rosemans tutorial and went for it. You don't need pumps and tubes even, a simple dwc system does the trick. I built mine for under $50, My DIY single site dwc under $50

Its as easy as changing the res 3-4 days, adding required nutes (per directions of nute company), and PH'ing your water. I think you do 2 out of 3 of those in soil right?

I don't want to come off anti soil or anything. I have done soil and now I grow with bubbles for better results.

Of course cannabis does not grow in hydro naturally. Does that mean we should not grow in water? No.

This plant is barely 7 weeks old, 3 weeks into flower

420_082.jpg

420_083.jpg

Show me that in soil.

Soil, water, mist...whatever we may be growing in we are all in this together bro. I just wanted to point out the results and the ease of growing with bubbles. I used to think it was too hard until I did a lot of reading and realized even a knucklehead stoner like me can do it.

I'm going to stick with a soil grow for a while more... Once a build up a nice fat weed reserve then I will make the switch over to hydro... The last thing I want is to make a mistake and end up weedless... I firmly believe in the concept of Baby Steps.... There's no doubt in my mind that growing in Hydro is better for the experienced well stocked grower.

What part? Easy or fun?

IMO it is easy if you don't mind working a little. I like to tinker and be involved everyday with my grow, that's why it's fun to me.

It is all a matter of opinion. Results are a matter of fact though.

I have nothing against dirt for outdoor grows or for momma plants, I have nothing against dirt at all actually. With Deep Water Culture you can harvest in 3 months, I think we all agree there is nothing wrong with that.

does DWC hydro accelerate harvest times? The last time I checked the finish times are all the same...Ebb n flow.Ebb n Grow,NFT/DWC/ AERO/ even soil bro. that statement is a lil misleading...there are many ways to grow plants. If you really want a simple no parts needed is a passive hydro wick bucket...no air pump needed.

The Goal is to make it through the first grow or two... I just don't think it's good advice to encourage a first time growers to taking the plunge initially into hydro... There's just way to much to go wrong...

does DWC hydro accelerate harvest times? The last time I checked the finish times are all the same...Ebb n flow.Ebb n Grow,NFT/DWC/ AERO/ even soil bro. that statement is a lil misleading...there are many ways to grow plants. If you really want a simple no parts needed is a passive hydro wick bucket...no air pump needed.

I never said it speeds up harvest time either. I gave the 3 month example because of the rapid growth during veg, it allows you to start flower with a larger plant than dirt does. The air pump is the heart of the system, all that oxygen to the roots provides the rapid growth.

I didn't respond to the OP's question to start the "great debate" of soil or hydro. I just wanted to let him know the options. Now I feel like the bad guy trying to explain myself lol. :peace:

The Goal is to make it through the first grow or two... I just don't think it's good advice to encourage a first time growers to taking the plunge initially into hydro... There's just way to much to go wrong...

That is my point bro, I'm a new grower.

Like I said above I don't want to start some heated debate but...

When you say there is "way to much that can go wrong" what do you mean? If you have never grown hydro how do you know what can go wrong? The only thing I can think of that can't go wrong in soil too is water temp in the res.

:peace:

Hi!
I am getting ready to start my own grow....
i am planning on using a dark room dr60 grow tent (60cmx60cmx140cm)
which comes with 1x High output CFL system with 25ow blue and 250w red eco-light, 1x grasslin timer, 1x value fan and filter package, 1x micromark 6" fan and 2x easyrolls.....the type of soil i am planning on using is fox-farm planting mix which is a mix of organic peat, composted forest humus, earthworm castings, nrowegian kelp meal and bat guano....the type of nutrients i am planning to use are the fox-farm nutrient trio - quarts which include big bloom, grow big and tiger bloom...just gonna be using water from a kitchen tap....the seeds i am using will be feminized northern lights and autoflowering lowryder 2.....
.....I would really appreciate all the advice i can get....was also wondering when to start feeding my plants nutrients and how often i should be watering them....from seedling onwards...
many thanks
skunkybaby

Lots of nice stuff there.:peace:

Do you have any books on indoor growing?:reading420magazine:

Many times, the internet is not your friend when it comes to problems. At least until you can tell who is giving knowledgeable answers and who is just repeating internet myth.:hmmmm:

Get yourself at least 1 if not several reference books on growing. Doesn't even need to be mj specific, pot is a plant like any other.

DD

That is my point bro, I'm a new grower.

Like I said above I don't want to start some heated debate but...

When you say there is "way to much that can go wrong" what do you mean? If you have never grown hydro how do you know what can go wrong? The only thing I can think of that can't go wrong in soil too is water temp in the res.

:peace:

You need to do what you feel is right... I am more comfortable growing in soil at the moment and have yielded several ounces in the learning curve. I plan on yielding several more ounces before I attempt growing in hydro. All I can tell you as a first time grower is that you have NO RESERVE of home grown weed and therefore if you fail at hydro you have nothing. When I make my first attempt at hydro I will have a closet full of jars to smoke from and the consequences of failure have a lot less meaning. Good Luck !

Back
Top Bottom