Getting seeds to sprout

Smokeater

Forgive me if I have no idea what I'm doing and ask dumb questions. I just read on a different thread NOT to place the seeds between paper towels to get them to sprout. I'm getting ready to try growing my own for the first time and have no clues about this stuff. What is the best way to get your seeds to sprout without using the paper towels? Sorry again if it's a dumb question, I just don't know anything about this yet. Thank You all

Forgive me if I have no idea what I'm doing and ask dumb questions. I just read on a different thread NOT to place the seeds between paper towels to get them to sprout. I'm getting ready to try growing my own for the first time and have no clues about this stuff. What is the best way to get your seeds to sprout without using the paper towels? Sorry again if it's a dumb question, I just don't know anything about this yet. Thank You all

Everyone will have their own opinions on this... and swear by their methods. I gave up on paper towels when I found that the budget paper towels that I got at the Dollar Tree were washed in acid and actually had killed 2 rounds of seeds. I went back to basics at that point and I usually just start seeds 1/2" down in some light soil, pointy end up. I soak the top of the soil and mist every day until the seed pops. I can't argue with success... I would say that 98% come up just fine. I am also thinking seriously about applying some more science to this, and purchasing a rapid rooter tray that can be used over and over again and some replacement plugs. The science behind these seems to be sound, and I think I can get a faster start using them.

Everyone will have their own opinions on this... and swear by their methods. I gave up on paper towels when I found that the budget paper towels that I got at the Dollar Tree were washed in acid and actually had killed 2 rounds of seeds. I went back to basics at that point and I usually just start seeds 1/2" down in some light soil, pointy end up. I soak the top of the soil and mist every day until the seed pops. I can't argue with success... I would say that 98% come up just fine. I am also thinking seriously about applying some more science to this, and purchasing a rapid rooter tray that can be used over and over again and some replacement plugs. The science behind these seems to be sound, and I think I can get a faster start using them.

Thank you for the advice, I will try that as soon as I get started (still have to get a fan), I'm trying to make sure I understand everything before I start and screw it up. The good news is I was sure my wife was going to make me grow it in an unheated crawl space under the house (because it's hidden), but she just told me to grow it in my den since no one except us go in there. But most importantly, Thank you again for the advice!

theres a section of the site that has most growing questions and a link to the questions answered... if you really have no clue about the stuff you could start here to start having some of your questions answered
How to Grow Marijuana - Everything You Need to Know

this is one of the germination links
How do I germinate seeds?

i have heard theres a lot easier way to germinate seeds though by literally just putting the seeds in a glass of water. I've also learned that when buying seed you should see what the seed banks directions are for the seeds as some seeds shouldn't be pre-germinated. like i know mandala seeds says to not pre-germinate their seeds before planting them and they aren't responsible for the failure of a seed if it was pre germinated before being planted or some shit like that

Here's my method (which includes the often overlooked temperature control aspect). With this method you could germinate in a meat locker , no worries:
BILL OF MATERIALS:

1-Stainless Steel Sauce Pot (Big enough to fit a 32 oz. wide mouth Ball jar)
1-25 or 50 watt small (about 6" long) submersible glass aquarium heater
1-Ranco (120 vac) temperature controller
1-Piece of a sheet of paper towel
1-Seedling Heat mat
1/4th- of a 4' x 8' x 3/4" thick sheet of white polystyrene building insulation
1-NEMA 5-15 plug (male cord cap)
2-NEMA 5-15 receptacles (female cord caps)
About 15' of 16/3 extension cord (this has a 10 amp@120vac capacity but you're only using less than .5 amps)
1-Dedicated 15 or 20 amp circuit (one of your kitchen counter receptacles will fit this bill if your place is up to code, just make sure the receptacle is dedicated by shutting off the circuit breaker and testing your kitchen counter receptacles with your toaster or something else convenient)
1-Roll of FlexFix tape (you only need a little bit of the roll )
Some water
Some seeds

Wire the Ranco temperature controller to the 16/3 cord and male plug. Don't plug it in yet. Wire the Normally Open contact of the Ranco controller to a twin female receptacle (the 2 NEMA 5-15 receptacles). Build an oversize "shoebox" out of the white foam insulation that barely fits the sauce pot (3/4 full with water and the sealed mason jar floating in it with just enough water on the folded piece of paper towel enveloping your seeds but don't put the seeds in yet just the paper towel and water) and the seedling heating mat underneath the sauce pot
but within the foam shoebox. Make sure you finish the edges of the foam shoe box sides with tape so the thing doesn't keep shedding foam bits all over the place.
Immerse the aquarium heater in the sauce pot. Plug in the glass heater and set it to max. Plug in the seedling heating mat (you plug both of these into the temperature controlled receptacles of course).Seal everything with tape so that it is fully closed but easy to open. Wait for the temp to reach 78f. Open the lid of the foam box. Open the sealed mason jar with moist warm paper towel piece. Drop seeds in. Put mason jar back in water. Seal it all up and then just for fun use truck loads of liquid nitrogen to freeze the room down to -30c or something . Keep the room an ice palace for 3 days.
Open the box and retrieve your germinated seeds.

I drop them in a glass of room temp water and place them some place warm and covered. Check them 12 hours or what ever and if floating, tap them and they should sink. 24 to 48 hours later they should pop. I get them out pretty quick and plant the stem strait down in the soil. Water a little and place a clear solo cup over this and in a few days there will be a good start..... Cheers!

I have 3 of seeds grow and have converted a bookcase into i mini grow room with mylar lining the walls, humidifier, etc.. I was wondering how long they take to start looking lie MJ? Mine are 2 little stalks with leaves on top and am wondering if I'm doing something wrong (BTW they have only been growing about 9 days, so it might just be age. But thank you for any help I get.

Germination has been a problem for me also. I've been growing since the 70's and seeds were much easier to germinate back then. I've read every book I can find on the subject and ever thing I can find online. Now I just have some seeds left that are 2 plus years old. These seeds are too expensive to be wasting. In the 70's I could get some Columbian or panama seeds for free with purchase of a bag. They would germinate if they just got wet. Now all these hybrid and specialty seeds have been hard.

It depends a lot on when they have been harvested cause if plant didn't finish her cycle seeds will be immature: green, small or big with hard shell. But if seeds are harvested exactly when they're supposed to you're gonna have 99% germination rate.

Back
Top Bottom