Nutrients - General Hydronponics
PPM - still waiting for Ec tester since xmas
PH - <6
RH - 50% to 60%
Room Temperature -78 to 90
Solution Temperature - 71.1
Room Square Footage - 4 x4
Pests - None Known

Problem: GSC is looking sick. showing rust spots on cotyledons and leaf tips.
I have raised the light, lowered the water temp and it progressed.
I lowered my pH thinking it could be a Mn deficiency, still hasnt improved.

IMG_1121[1].JPG
IMG_1125[1].JPG

This plant is in the same water tote but showing less problems:
IMG_1120[1].JPG

Cal/mag is more readily taken up by your plants at a higher pH. Bring it up to 6.2.

pH pens with a single digit after the decimal have an accuracy of ±0.2 pH. It is very important to calibrate your pen regularly. I calibrate mine before each use using GroTek's pH buffers.

I grow in another form of hydroponics, drain-to-waste with a coco/perlite substrate. I didn't use TDS/EC, but percentages of label strength.

For any recirculating system, or DWC, I'd start the same way. When it's mixed, I'd measure the TDS/EC. This would be my target for my daily top ups of the nutrient solution. This is the 35% of label strength feed chart I used:

full

General Hydroponics Feed Chart (35% of Label Strength)

I'm calling @West Hippie, and @TurboBucket, as these people have hydro experience, and can shed more light on the problem.

PS: You can click on most of the images in this forum to view them full size.

It looks like you need to drop to 5.6 to 5.8 . You see the yellow center , ph has been too high for too long . You can save that girl ! Are the roots brown ?

Strain - GSC
Grow Type - DWC
Grow Stage - Seedling
Light - LED QB
Nutrients - General Hydronponics
PPM - still waiting for Ec tester since xmas
PH - <6
RH - 50% to 60%
Room Temperature -78 to 90
Solution Temperature - 71.1
Room Square Footage - 4 x4
Pests - None Known

Problem: GSC is looking sick. showing rust spots on cotyledons and leaf tips.
I have raised the light, lowered the water temp and it progressed.
I lowered my pH thinking it could be a Mn deficiency, still hasnt improved.

IMG_1121[1].JPG
IMG_1125[1].JPG

This plant is in the same water tote but showing less problems:
IMG_1120[1].JPG
Sorry to see that .Exactly why i will never do hydro again.All my seedlings do fine in soil.

Got my TDS tester today.
My water source ppm is 150ppm (spring water)
My nutrient solution is around 280 ppm
Should i increase to 400?

+130 ppm is pretty low for dwc. Honestly you may see an improvement just by increasing your nutrient dose. That's what they look like to me, just hungry. +400 sounds good so 550 on your meter, I know some guys get them up to like 1800+ later in flower.

With low doses and infrequent Rez changes they can take all the nutrients out before the rez is empty or changed.

The roots look good so that takes away my first guess of poor root health. I think they're just hungry.

IMG_1141[1].JPG
Current pH. It was lower but just did a small feed to raise ppm

IMG_1135[1].JPG
Cookies Roots

IMG_1137[1].JPG

Skywalker roots
I remember those days matching that ! It’s so hard not to have a digital ph tester ! The roots look good .

+130 ppm is pretty low for dwc. Honestly you may see an improvement just by increasing your nutrient dose. That's what they look like to me, just hungry. +400 sounds good so 550 on your meter, I know some guys get them up to like 1800+ later in flower.

With low doses and infrequent Rez changes they can take all the nutrients out before the rez is empty or changed.

The roots look good so that takes away my first guess of poor root health. I think they're just hungry.

Yeah ive been working hard to keep my environment as optimal as possible.
Its my first time growing and I wanted to challenge myself with DWC.

One of my biggest concerns was overfeeding, specially since my tds tester had yet to arrive.
Glad to hear that the roots are alright and the girls are just hungry.
I have been learning so much in such short time!
thanks for the help

You want to save $ on nutrients check out the MegaCrop thread . A lot going on there !

You have been given great advise . I just noticed in one of the pictures that your seedling are in jiffy pods, is that what all your plants are in in the net cups? If so those jiffy pods are 100% peat and if they are soaking in your solution they are going to really throw off the ph after the solution is added … if I remember correctly it will make it more acidic ..so long story short , that could be why you are having uptake issues . Quick solution is to change nutrient solution but before you do raise the net cups or lower the water level so that the jiffy pods aren't touching the solution .

You have been given great advise . I just noticed in one of the pictures that your seedling are in jiffy pods, is that what all your plants are in in the net cups? If so those jiffy pods are 100% peat and if they are soaking in your solution they are going to really throw off the ph after the solution is added … if I remember correctly it will make it more acidic ..so long story short , that could be why you are having uptake issues . Quick solution is to change nutrient solution but before you do raise the net cups or lower the water level so that the jiffy pods aren't touching the solution .

Yes all my plants are in jiffy pods at the moment. Good eye and great advice!
I also have some rockwool cubes laying around that I was going to use for clones, think its too late for a transplant?

Yes all my plants are in jiffy pods at the moment. Good eye and great advice!
I also have some rockwool cubes laying around that I was going to use for clones, think its too late for a transplant?
to me at this point depending on how you set up your system it may be easier and better for the survival of your sick plant /plants to raise the cups or lower the water level . For future grows I would recommend Root Riot cubes of course you could always use rockwool cubes . I just lean more to Root Riot cubes .

I want to say that is another brands name for them . @West Hippie

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 114
to me at this point depending on how you set up your system it may be easier and better for the survival of your sick plant /plants to raise the cups or lower the water level . For future grows I would recommend Root Riot cubes of course you could always use rockwool cubes . I just lean more to Root Riot cubes .

Just for the record root riot cubes are made from sphagnum peat moss as well.

But yes peat moss gets nasty when it's kept wet for too long, it can also end up suffocating your roots, it really needs to dry a little bit or at least not be fully saturated for the roots to breathe

Just for the record root riot cubes are made from sphagnum peat moss as well.

But yes peat moss gets nasty when it's kept wet for too long, it can also end up suffocating your roots, it really needs to dry a little bit or at least not be fully saturated for the roots to breathe
yes but they are two different styles and treated types of peat .

Back
Top Bottom