Girls not feeling so good

millergd77

I seem to be having a problem and not sure if I'm right here...

We are in week 4 and 6 of flowering, soil is
60% Fox Farm Happy Frog
30% perlite
10% vermiculite
10% peat moss

For Nutrients I'm using fox farm slightly less than there chart calls for, and every 3rd watering
Led and T8 lights
Temp 68 to 75
RH around 55
water ph 6.5 to 6.7

I started seeing a discoloration in the leaves, some more so on bottom ones, thought
that it might be a potassium deficiency so I upped the nuets, after a few days started
to see tips looking burnt....

I flushed the other day with 4 gallons ph'ed water and the gave normal nuets...

Any help would be appreciated...

spots_day_71.jpg

spots_day_71b.jpg

last pic is a lower leave, only a few like this on older plant..

Thanks for looking....

I seem to be having a problem and not sure if I'm right here...

We are in week 4 and 6 of flowering, soil is
60% Fox Farm Happy Frog
30% perlite
10% vermiculite
10% peat moss

For Nutrients I'm using fox farm slightly less than there chart calls for, and every 3rd watering
Led and T8 lights
Temp 68 to 75
RH around 55
water ph 6.5 to 6.7

I started seeing a discoloration in the leaves, some more so on bottom ones, thought
that it might be a potassium deficiency so I upped the nuets, after a few days started
to see tips looking burnt....

I flushed the other day with 4 gallons ph'ed water and the gave normal nuets...

Any help would be appreciated...

spots_day_71.jpg

spots_day_71b.jpg

last pic is a lower leave, only a few like this on older plant..

Thanks for looking....
Happy Frog is designed to grow roots, not to flower in. It is mostly peat, and very little actual soil or other organics. You are essentially in a soilless, and mostly peat growing medium. Because of all the peat, the pH of the medium is going to be quite low and will most likely pull the pH of your container in a downward drift after watering instead of the typical upward drift seen in most mediums. This will get worse the longer you go into this grow as more of the peat breaks down. Flushing will have helped get some of the acidic broken down peat out of there, so basically we don't know right now what your soilless mix is going to do. I am guessing that because of the peat at this point in your grow, your target pH when you water should probably be on the high side for soilless... or around 6.1 or so. That is my best guess anyway... you will have to prove this by experiment. If a couple of rounds of 6.1 doesn't improve things, I would try lower next, around 5.8 at the middle of the soilless chart... it all depends on which way this mix is drifting and how strongly. The point being of course, that the pH you are now adjusting to, way on the high side of the soil chart, is not working for you. It is time to try something different. You have to adjust to the growing medium you have created.

Since this is a soilless mix, you need to give nutes every time or at least every other time. The plants can not get anything useful out of your mix, you have to supply everything they get. You are showing all the signs of a macronutrient deficiency, because you in fact are having a macronutrient deficiency... you are not giving them the amounts of nutrients that they are needing. Adjust your pH to the proper soilless range and try giving nutes at least every other time and although the damaged leaves wont get much better, I think the damage will stop progressing. I would even experiment with giving nutes every time you water and treat this like a typical hydro or hempy grow. You could aerate the water and keep the medium wet all the time like an ebb and flow system, or you can let the medium dry out between waterings so that oxygen can get pulled down to the roots. Either way will work, but I doubt that falling between these two methods will.

Good luck, and I hope you can figure out how to work around the problems that have been created here. It is not unsurmountable, but you have to fix this pH problem first. Peat is hard to work with late in a grow, but knowing what it is doing to you is half of the battle.

Happy Frog is designed to grow roots, not to flower in. It is mostly peat, and very little actual soil or other organics. You are essentially in a soilless, and mostly peat growing medium. Because of all the peat, the pH of the medium is going to be quite low and will most likely pull the pH of your container in a downward drift after watering instead of the typical upward drift seen in most mediums. This will get worse the longer you go into this grow as more of the peat breaks down. Flushing will have helped get some of the acidic broken down peat out of there, so basically we don't know right now what your soilless mix is going to do. I am guessing that because of the peat at this point in your grow, your target pH when you water should probably be on the high side for soilless... or around 6.1 or so. That is my best guess anyway... you will have to prove this by experiment. If a couple of rounds of 6.1 doesn't improve things, I would try lower next, around 5.8 at the middle of the soilless chart... it all depends on which way this mix is drifting and how strongly. The point being of course, that the pH you are now adjusting to, way on the high side of the soil chart, is not working for you. It is time to try something different. You have to adjust to the growing medium you have created.

Since this is a soilless mix, you need to give nutes every time or at least every other time. The plants can not get anything useful out of your mix, you have to supply everything they get. You are showing all the signs of a macronutrient deficiency, because you in fact are having a macronutrient deficiency... you are not giving them the amounts of nutrients that they are needing. Adjust your pH to the proper soilless range and try giving nutes at least every other time and although the damaged leaves wont get much better, I think the damage will stop progressing. I would even experiment with giving nutes every time you water and treat this like a typical hydro or hempy grow. You could aerate the water and keep the medium wet all the time like an ebb and flow system, or you can let the medium dry out between waterings so that oxygen can get pulled down to the roots. Either way will work, but I doubt that falling between these two methods will.

Good luck, and I hope you can figure out how to work around the problems that have been created here. It is not unsurmountable, but you have to fix this pH problem first. Peat is hard to work with late in a grow, but knowing what it is doing to you is half of the battle.

I guess that I never really thought of it as soilless, everyone has brain fades, not my 1st...lol
And a macronutrient deficiency would explain the burn looking leave tips also...

Thank you Emilya....:adore:

I do keep my water and nuet mix in 5 gallon buckets that are aerated, and always replenished after each feeding...
which is every other day, it seems to be what they want.. and I do check the ph of the run off,
it stays pretty close to the same. I will have to adjust my nuets differently...The ebb and flow would
have worked for me if I had the space, but a little short on headroom, I have to crawl in, no standing, for me anyway...
but I do have a short chair to relax in...:thumb:

Thank you again for the response, and the brain cleansing...

Back
Top Bottom