Glass on Glass female piece

snoopcobra

Hey, about 7 months ago I bought a pretty wicked glass on glass bong for 105 bucks. It was so cheap because they didn't have an ground glass female downtubes so they rigged up a regular grommeted downtube so I could use it until they could mail me the ground glass one. A couple bowls in the o-ring breaks and the bong is put on the shelf til I can get that stem.

7 months later and after a dozen phone calls the owner of the store told me they wouldn't be able to get them in and she could send me a regular stem. I refused I bought a glass on glass bong because...I want a glass on glass bong. In rage I hung up and am calling it a lost and will just never deal with that store again. If anyone here is from Santa Fe, NM don't go to Nappi Glass!

I am trying to salvage my bong and after some research it seems like all glass on glass bongs come in 16.4mm or 18.8mm diameter. I roughly measured mine an 18.8 seems about right on. Would I be able to get a roor downstem and bowl and make this bong functional even though that would cost me a pretty penny. Roor was the only brand I could find that sold a downstem do any of you helpful stoners know another retailer.

I appreciate your help to get the dust off a beautiful bong.

oh yes! just as long as you pick up the right size for your bong (like you said there are 2 sizes to pick from)

hell id look online and pick up a roor diffused or something

Perfect. There won't be any chance of it being some oddball size right? Like with my ruler you could say it is 18.8 but there is a chance its closer to 18.7 or 18.9 I really can't see it that well. They pretty much only come in three sizes right? I'll be so happy to get my bong back into use. It has been sitting just tooo long.

Now I got another dilemma.

$25 for regular stem or...
$50 for diffuser?

On one hand it doesn't seem worth it but the other side of me is thinking I'll want the diffuser eventually so I might as well get it first. Thoughts?

I think some pictures might help us figure out what kind of downstem you need. Are you saying the downstem goes into a rubber gromet? And what o-ring broke, the one on the slide or the rubber gromet on the pipe?

RooR makes mainly two sizes, 14.4mm and 18.8. The only trouble you might have is getting the sintered glass joint that normally locks into the RooR downstem to seal properly inside a rubber gromet, because it's somewhat conical in shape. I converted a rubber gromet waterpipe to a glass on glass bowl before, but it's still no RooR. I did this using a generic glass on glass stem and bowl made of pyrex, i.e. no sintered joint. The combo was purchased for $40 USD at a local headshop. This just makes the slide to downstem connection glass on glass however the downstem to pipe connection is still a rubber gromet.

Sorry for the confusion. I am 100% positive it is glass on glass, and I am guessing it is 18.8 by holding a ruler up to it, and assuming they only make 2 sizes 18.8 looks correct. The part about the O ring was because when I bought it they rigged up a normals slide so I could smoke with it until they got the g-o-g downtube. But the o ring broke like the first week I had it and I didn't want to risk scratching the the glass so I just stopped using it.

I have only smoked out of an actual Roor once and it had a diffuser so I can't differentiate whether it made a strong difference in the quality of the smoke. But if you guys insist the diffuser is worth the 25 extra dollars then I will definatly get it. Also are there any other g-o-g bowl pieces instead of the roor?

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated!

So I got the Roor diffuser and a simple bowl. It smokes amazingly. After 8 months sittin on the shelf this beautiful bong is now servicing me. I will try to snap a pic sometime. She hits perfectly, smooth and huge. Thanks all for advice, and suggestion for the diffuser. I would have been dissapointed if I didn't get it.

I'm glad you like the diffuser and I'm also glad it worked. For future reference, 18.8mm is referring to the diameter of the downstems joint NOT the length of the downstem. Therefore there was no way you could have taken this measurement with a normal ruler. I'm glad it all worked out for you because the diffuser is the single best upgrade for any waterpipe out there.

Well I knew the diameter was 18.8 with a ruler then I stuck a pencil in and measured it to get the correct length. I kind of wish it was a bit longer but I am happy.

Back
Top Bottom