Global Commission Recommends End to Drug War

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The Global Commission on Drug Policy said today that the global war on drugs has failed and recommended governments take steps toward the legal regulation of drugs, including marijuana.

"Let's start by treating drug addiction as a health issue, reducing drug demand through proven educational initiatives and legally regulating rather than criminalizing cannabis," said Fernando Henrique Cardoso, former president of Brazil and a current commission member, in a statement.

The commission, in a report released in New York today, cited U.N. estimates that cannabis consumption has increased 8.5% from 1998 to 2008.

It suggested replacing drug policies and strategies "driven by ideology and political convenience with fiscally responsible policies and strategies grounded in science, health, security and human rights."

Reform would also include reviewing drug scheduling "that has resulted in obvious anomalies like the flawed categorization of cannabis," and other drugs, the report said.

The commission consists of political leaders from around the world including former U.S. Secretary of State George P. Shultz, former Chairman of the U.S. Federal Reserve Paul Volcker, and former U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan of Ghana.

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: mjbusinessreport.com
Copyright: 2011 DealFlow Media, Inc.

At times it seems we are the only ones that read these articles.

At times it seems we are the only ones that read these articles.

for the most part we are the only ones, it is also for the most part up to us to get these stories out to those who dont read them, there are people I work with who use cannabis mostly for recreational purposes but they support medical use also, they are unaware of web sites like 420 Magazine that post these stories, I am constantly discussing these issues with co workers, they are interested knowing that I am a part of these forums and ask me what is the new news, I am proud to be a part of this movement and thrilled to share anything related to it with everyone. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom