Glossy or matt finish sheet for DIY Growbox?

bobby2017

420 Member
I am planning to build a diy growbox 2x2x4 using melamine white sheet,
I am lean toward using Glossy finish sheet but I am not sure if it will create hot spots or not therefore just want to confirm which one should I choose glossy or matt? What do you suggest? thanks

Here is the image of Melamine sheet with glossy finish
High-Glossy-White-UV-Melamine-MDF-Board-for-Cabinet-ZH977-.jpg

Matt finish
B1158697789.jpg

I'd use the glossy one. If you want to lower your cost, you can use 1/4" Meranti Plywood with 1 x 2 strapping as a frame. Either paint the interior with glossy white kitchen/bathroom paint, or glue emergency blanket material to it.

I'd use the glossy one. If you want to lower your cost, you can use 1/4" Meranti Plywood with 1 x 2 strapping as a frame. Either paint the interior with glossy white kitchen/bathroom paint, or glue emergency blanket material to it.

Thanks for your reply and economical suggestion
Don't you think glossy finish has apparently same effect like shining aluminum foil (which is known for creating hot spots) ?

I believe your correct. That gloss finish doesn't provide much diffusion, the reflections are very clear.

Out of those two materials I would opt for the matte.
Flat white paint is cheap and provides good/reflectivity and diffusion if you choose a different route.

I have a tent that size and if possible I would try to give yourself some additional height. If it is possible it will make it easier for you

I am at this point considering a building a grow box similar to yours to give myself some extra height. I was thinking 5 to 6 feet high. By the time you get lights, pots and filter not much left from 4 feet. It can be done but lots of training needed.

I am at this point considering a building a grow box similar to yours to give myself some extra height. I was thinking 5 to 6 feet high. By the time you get lights, pots and filter not much left from 4 feet. It can be done but lots of training needed.

Thanks, Actually these melamine sheets are expensive and finished product will have a lot of weight also, 2x2x4 can be build using single sheet (with some workaround for one side) but 5 or 6 feet will definitely require two sheets

But I totally agree the lights and pot size gonna consume a lot of space seems like I have to toss :)

If the height is negotiable, go at least 6'. With the filter outside my 5' tent, and the top of the light 6" from the top, my plant always grew into and over my light when using NugBucket's Mainline/Manifold method. The top of my containers were about 14" from the floor, and the light is 3" tall, which left 3' for the plants, and the space above the canopy needed by the light.

When doing your layout, don't forget about the kerf!

Back
Top Bottom