GM’s Grow Journal Spring 2020: 1st Time Indoor Grow! White Widow, AK-47 & Bubblegum

Awesome! This is my first grow of anything! It’s fun but I’m just learning from everyone else as I go! If you start a journal, let me know!
Thanks I just got mine started tonight (grow journal), beans sprouted 4 days ago.
I got my feet wet in hydroponics doing some kratky greens (mainly lettuce) in prep...turned out to also be a lucky time to have an indoor garden lol.
Feel free to drop by, I'll take all the pointers I can get!!

Hi Gnarly! :ciao: I'm subbed in. From one noob to another, they are looking good. Stay safe and stay stoned!:yummy::volcano-smiley::peace:

Thanks I just got mine started tonight (grow journal), beans sprouted 4 days ago.
I got my feet wet in hydroponics doing some kratky greens (mainly lettuce) in prep...turned out to also be a lucky time to have an indoor garden lol.
Feel free to drop by, I'll take all the pointers I can get!!

Hydroponics is a foreign language to me but I’ll definitely be following you along.

Hydroponics is a foreign language to me but I’ll definitely be following you along.
Thank you, I'm not going to lie, I'd be a lot more intimidated if I didn't just have my first hydroponic home grown salad for dinner!
The original plan was to go soil, and if this dont work that will be my next grow lol

Day 28 (WW & AK)
Bubblegum Day 25

Stressful day at work- big day for my girls.

1. Decided to go a little crazy and did some major defoliation on all 3 plants. I removed basically all big fan leaves.

2. Watered each plant with 24 c water mixed with 2/3 tsp nutes (75%).

3. Crapped my pants - I just scalped my girls?!

4. Took pictures.

5. Decided it’s going to be OK and I’m glad I did it.

Attachments

• 47BFC5D5-507F-4B8E-A2C3-689FDA1501DC.jpeg
    47BFC5D5-507F-4B8E-A2C3-689FDA1501DC.jpeg
    470.2 KB · Views: 55
  • EE030D2A-EB78-4BB5-92A4-87BE7BB01855.jpeg
    EE030D2A-EB78-4BB5-92A4-87BE7BB01855.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 2A0D9C06-25EE-4851-AF3F-5D6696531C37.jpeg
    2A0D9C06-25EE-4851-AF3F-5D6696531C37.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 52
Day 29 (WW & AK):

1. Just pictures again today. I was super nervous to look when I opened the tent for fear I just killed everything but to a nice surprise, it looks pretty good!

Bubblegum Day 26:

1. I definitely took the most leaves off her but she now almost looks like the best of the bunch!

Attachments

• 6F712B2C-E0F9-4870-97A0-27B407611892.jpeg
    6F712B2C-E0F9-4870-97A0-27B407611892.jpeg
    565.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 0DA2B19D-0E24-4CF3-A99B-43ADD5C4DCAD.jpeg
    0DA2B19D-0E24-4CF3-A99B-43ADD5C4DCAD.jpeg
    376.3 KB · Views: 57
  • B91A97AD-8D34-41F1-93FF-6960D17FB72F.jpeg
    B91A97AD-8D34-41F1-93FF-6960D17FB72F.jpeg
    567.6 KB · Views: 59
"...she now almost looks like the best of the bunch!"

Sounds like you didn't right!!! Looks great!
Thanks Rexer. The photos were from last night actually. When I went down to look this morning, I was surprised to see again how much they had grown. I’ve pretty much gotten all 3 trained out to the edges of their pots (3 gal fabric pots) and the 2 broken branches on my Widow are growing upwards and the plant measures about 7” tall. This leads me to slight panic because when all is said and done, I only have max a total of 18” grow space. The 18” space keeps them at a safe distance from the light without burning them. I wanted to veg for 5-6 weeks but there is NO WAY I have room for that! Tomorrow makes 4 weeks of veg for the WW and the AK-47 and Tuesday Bubblegum will be at 4 weeks. I’m going to need to flip to flower on Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest and pray I didn’t wait too long! I just super cropped one of the taller branches on my WW and another one branch on Bubblegum. I did the Widow because the branch is just too tall and did the Bubblegum because I’m curious as to what will happen. I have absolutely NO experience growing but have read quite a bit and watched multiple videos regarding defoliating, HST, and LST and have pretty much gathered you shouldn’t do anything crazy for about 2 weeks before flipping. That being said, I’m kind of crapping my pants because I went crazy on them just 2 days ago and now I don’t have the space to let them chill and recover for another 12 days! Any thoughts? Think I’ll be ok to flip on Tuesday?? I wasn’t preparing to have to do it so quickly so I need to do some more reading FAST because I’m not entirely sure if I need to do anything aside from just reprogramming the timer on my light and let ‘em go? @carcass - Sorry to be of bother but would you be so kind as to weigh in on this? Thanks guys (girls?)!!

Thanks Rexer. The photos were from last night actually. When I went down to look this morning, I was surprised to see again how much they had grown. I’ve pretty much gotten all 3 trained out to the edges of their pots (3 gal fabric pots) and the 2 broken branches on my Widow are growing upwards and the plant measures about 7” tall. This leads me to slight panic because when all is said and done, I only have max a total of 18” grow space. The 18” space keeps them at a safe distance from the light without burning them. I wanted to veg for 5-6 weeks but there is NO WAY I have room for that! Tomorrow makes 4 weeks of veg for the WW and the AK-47 and Tuesday Bubblegum will be at 4 weeks. I’m going to need to flip to flower on Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest and pray I didn’t wait too long! I just super cropped one of the taller branches on my WW and another one branch on Bubblegum. I did the Widow because the branch is just too tall and did the Bubblegum because I’m curious as to what will happen. I have absolutely NO experience growing but have read quite a bit and watched multiple videos regarding defoliating, HST, and LST and have pretty much gathered you shouldn’t do anything crazy for about 2 weeks before flipping. That being said, I’m kind of crapping my pants because I went crazy on them just 2 days ago and now I don’t have the space to let them chill and recover for another 12 days! Any thoughts? Think I’ll be ok to flip on Tuesday?? I wasn’t preparing to have to do it so quickly so I need to do some more reading FAST because I’m not entirely sure if I need to do anything aside from just reprogramming the timer on my light and let ‘em go? @carcass - Sorry to be of bother but would you be so kind as to weigh in on this? Thanks guys (girls?)!!
Well, take my advice lightly...I'm not very experienced and since my first grow is Autos that's what I've been focusing on. I've been reading up and watching lots of videos, cause height is a huge issue with mine, and so far you're doing exactly what I would do.

Dont flip till you hear back from a more experienced grower, every extra bit of time will help the recovery. That's what I would do, doesn't mean it's right.
The fact that they bounced back quickly should mean their pretty healthy at least, I've heard about how fast they bounce back and cant wait to see myself.

For the flip, the light reading ( ha!! Unintentional pun!!!) that I've done is it's just a matter of reprogramming your light and nutrient solutions. Make 100% sure if you haven't that there is zero light leaks before flipping to avoid hermming them.

Thanks Rexer! I’m 110% positive that there are ZERO light leaks. One other thing, I have to actually take the pots completely out of the tent to water them and can’t imagine it’ll be any different when they’re in flower. Other than doing this only when the lights are on, do you know anything about if this could be or cause any problems? And yes, it’s a HUGE pain in the ass and it’s only gonna get worse the bigger they get! Next time, only 1 plant in this tent at a time!!

Ooh yeah that is going to be a PITA to water lol. I'm sure you've got your reasons, but if there is any way you can use a wand or pump to water them I'd be looking into fast. I'd be terrified moving them around and busting a branch (sorry, truly not trying to add to your anxiety!!) Or dropping them (I cant lift anything heavy anymore)...just be careful with your babies!!!

I think so long as it's done during lights on times you'll be fine though (from my reading).

Good Morning,Gnarly!
It doesn't look like you're tying the branches down?
That's how you keep them short -if you just top them and let them go,they naturally want to get as tall as they can,so you need to stay with the tying down till the branches reach the edges of the pot,maybe even a little beyond the edge in smaller pots.
They should look something like this: (these are 26 days old,about 2 inches tall,but nice and flat)
1586624215267.jpeg

And then,when they look sort of like this, you can let them start growing vertical, and flip the lights to 12/12
(36 days old, apx 4" tall)
1586624449526.jpeg

They may still want to get too tall, that's when you need to start supercropping (bending branches down)

This is them at 70 days old,apx 19" tall. I didn't have to bend any branches on these 2,but I have had to on some others.
1586625123946.jpeg

I think if you continue the training,you'll probably be ok, and they can get a little older before you flip them.

They will at least double in size when they start flowering,so the shorter you start out,the shorter they end up.

Good Morning,Gnarly!
It doesn't look like you're tying the branches down?
That's how you keep them short -if you just top them and let them go,they naturally want to get as tall as they can,so you need to stay with the tying down till the branches reach the edges of the pot,maybe even a little beyond the edge in smaller pots.
They should look something like this: (these are 26 days old,about 2 inches tall,but nice and flat)
1586624215267.jpeg

And then,when they look sort of like this, you can let them start growing vertical, and flip the lights to 12/12
(36 days old, apx 4" tall)
1586624449526.jpeg

They may still want to get too tall, that's when you need to start supercropping (bending branches down)

This is them at 70 days old,apx 19" tall. I didn't have to bend any branches on these 2,but I have had to on some others.
1586625123946.jpeg

I think if you continue the training,you'll probably be ok, and they can get a little older before you flip them.

They will at least double in size when they start flowering,so the shorter you start out,the shorter they end up.
They’re tied down, I’m just using metal hook things that stake them down close to the soil. I’m afraid to mess with the one broken branch. They are definitely growing outwards towards the edges of the pots and beyond (except bubblegum and that’s why I want to wait). I just snapped a picture of the 3 so you can see the 3 of them together. I know I’m good for a few more days but I’m concerned that they’re going to grow into each other. Yours look beautiful and I’m sure they’re the product of a lot of practice! I’m not looking to yield much- more or less just doing it for myself but I’d like to have enough to last a while. Tied down mine are about 4” tall. Look at the picture because maybe it’ll be easier to see why I’m questioning holding off much longer. Thanks for the reply and photos- I’m so appreciative!

Attachments

• C096DF4B-8BAF-4FFF-8090-85B25E111361.jpeg
    C096DF4B-8BAF-4FFF-8090-85B25E111361.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
Ok- I can see it now, couldn't tell by the previous pics if they were tied down or not..I can also see why you're going to need to flip them soon- (damn they grew fast!)

You're doing a great job on them- but they're going to have to grow into each other- the only real way to avoid it is to just grow one plant,and where's the fun in that?
(I only have one going now,but that's because the other one got harvested last week)

You could flip to 12/12 now, just keep training the Bubblegum till it reaches the edges of the pot.

Maybe read up on "supercropping" (bending stuff down) because you may need it in a few weeks, depending on how much they stretch when flowering starts.
They're looking really good!

Ok- I can see it now, couldn't tell by the previous pics if they were tied down or not..I can also see why you're going to need to flip them soon- (damn they grew fast!)

You're doing a great job on them- but they're going to have to grow into each other- the only real way to avoid it is to just grow one plant,and where's the fun in that?
(I only have one going now,but that's because the other one got harvested last week)

You could flip to 12/12 now, just keep training the Bubblegum till it reaches the edges of the pot.

Maybe read up on "supercropping" (bending stuff down) because you may need it in a few weeks, depending on how much they stretch when flowering starts.
They're looking really good!
I’m nervous! And to make things worse, I just read your message...AFTER just coming back up from tending to my plants. I decided to find something that would be a little stronger for tying down and since I’m using fabric pots, what better than some Christmas ribbon and safety pins? I’ve now got these babies all back down to 2” but it doesn’t look very nice! (Pictures in my next entry). Thank you so much for checking in. One last thing- Do you think I can wait until Wednesday to flip, or I am already on borrowed time?

Day #31 (WW & AK)

1. Got out some Christmas ribbon and safety pins to more securely tie my branches down. Took them down to roughly 2-2.5”. There are 2 branches in question on the Widow- nothing is dying yet but one of the ones I broke looks like she’s got COVID and the other one...who knows? Maybe I plucked one too many leaves from it?

2. Watered with 24ish c water.

Bubblegum Day #28

1. Same. Tied her down with some pretty ribbon and got her back down to 3”

2. Watered with 24ish water.

Attachments

• 61DE5213-6786-4387-B3C3-3A2D90B095A7.jpeg
    61DE5213-6786-4387-B3C3-3A2D90B095A7.jpeg
    514.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 6134F29E-5538-4D63-B0E9-3D1F89A74BFC.jpeg
    6134F29E-5538-4D63-B0E9-3D1F89A74BFC.jpeg
    656 KB · Views: 55
  • D2554942-FB10-49CD-81F6-F458052A16A7.jpeg