GM Marijuana Problem Growing in Colombia

Jacob Bell

CALI, Colombia (AFP) — Greenhouses lined with genetically modified marijuana sit on a mountainside just an hour ride from Cali, Colombia, where farmers say the enhanced plants are more powerful and profitable.

One greenhouse owner said she can sell the modified marijuana for 100,000 pesos ($54) per kilo (2.2 pounds), which is nearly 10 times more than the price she can get for ordinary marijuana.

Local authorities said the arrival of genetically modified seeds, which are imported from Europe and the United States have allowed "a bigger production and better quality at the same time".

A police commander in the Cauca region where Cali is located, Carlos Rodriguez, said one of the modified varieties goes by the name, "Creepy".

Another seed modified in The Netherlands is fetching a good price in the area, said a foreign researcher, who asked to remain anonymous. That version, well-known in Europe as "La Cominera", is named for the Colombian village where it grows.

"La Cominera's" higher value is due to its increased concentration of THC, the plant's principal active ingredient, and the modified plant verges on an 18 percent concentration level, compared to a normal marijuana plant's two to seven percent, said the researcher.

Despite the fact that marijuana production is illegal in Colombia, farmers say they continue to sell both traditional and modified marijuana because of economic advantages. One resident who spoke on the condition of anonymity said he can sell 11 kilograms of marijuana for 160,000 Colombian pesos ($87).

In the greenhouses outside of Cali, in a secret location accessible only by foot, it is easy to recognize the famous plant with star-shaped leaves, where it grows amid other legal crops.

"I don't like growing marijuana, but it ended up that way," one farmer said. "I received a loan to grow coffee, but I was drowning and I had to sell my harvest very cheap. My sister told me it would be better to plant marijuana."

Marijuana was first introduced to the country in the 1930s and residents of Cali said that for economic reasons, they have never stopped cultivating the plant since.

They added they cannot sustain themselves on coffee and banana crops alone, because prices fluctuate widely and it is difficult to reach markets in time to sell the perishable items before they spoil, due to a poor road network.

The hemp plant was originally legally used in the production of textiles and soccer balls until 1962, when authorities banned the use of marijauana in those products in order to comply with international standards.

According to botanist Luis Miguel Alvarez, a teacher at the University of Caldas in Manizales and the author of several marijuana studies, after marijuana is grown and dried, it can endure long periods without spoiling, which is a strong economic advantage.

Police commander Rodriguez said the crop's growth poses a problem for local law enforcement, because profits are often used to finance other criminal activity.

"We believe that the sixth front of the FARC guerrilla forces are 90 percent financed by marijuana," he said. The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia is Latin America's largest and longest-fighting insurgency with 47 years of armed struggle and 8,000 fighters.

Marijuana production and sales are growing in Colombia, which was also the world's biggest producer of cocaine in 2009, according to available statistics, he said.

"This year we have already seized 27 tons (of marijuana by June), compared to 23 tons last year. It is troubling that the resources of armed groups are growing and because of this they can acquire arms and explosives," Rodriguez said.

Nationwide, authorities say they have seized 41.8 tons of marijuana to date in 2011, compared to a total of 228 tons in 2010.

columbia1.jpg

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: yahoo.com
Author: Luis Robayo
Copyright: Yahoo! Inc.

And once again the obvious answer seems to me to be taxation and regulation of the Cannabis market. Bring it into the light of day and the nasties tend to fade away. The 'bad guys' only really make money when the product is illegal. Legalize it and the price drops, along with illicit profits. Bad guys have to go elsewhere for profit.

:cheer::cheer: Maybe the old days of Santa Marta Gold are coming back. :goodluck::goodluck: I sure miss that earthy weed of days gone by. I'd sure buy it if it made its way up to California. RD :nicethread::nicethread::bravo::bravo:

just because you cross a indica with a sativa does not make it genetically modified. I think what they are trying to say is hybrid

Genetically Modified? OMG has Monsanto taken over the European medical marijuana industry?

Nonetheless, I cannot wait to see farmers of Cocoa, Coffee and Cannabis get fair-trade prices or better. You cannot afford to focus on any quality at $54 /kilo.

Genetically Modified? OMG has Monsanto taken over the European medical marijuana industry?

Nonetheless, I cannot wait to see farmers of Cocoa, Coffee and Cannabis get fair-trade prices or better. You cannot afford to focus on any quality at $54 /kilo.

It does sound more like the Colombians have gotten some good "hybrid" seeds than real genetically altered pot.

I think, and this is only my opinion that $54 a kilo is very do-able. It's all about supply and demand. If marijuana were legalized in this country, the price would drop so dramatically that we could expect to pay somewhere in that price range for a couple of pounds. If that happens, the Colombian farmers will be lucky to get $5.00 for a kilo of high grade MJ.

just because you cross a indica with a sativa does not make it genetically modified. I think what they are trying to say is hybrid

I believe they are speaking of truly genetically modified, just like GMO foods, extremely dangerous because of cross pollination. They do it to grow more in less time, kinda like the hormones cows are shot with to produce more milk faster. Same idea, different way of doing it.

All they are talking about is feminized seeds.

I believe they are referring to the Triploid mutations instead of the stanard Diopold of cannabis.

I believe Jack Herer had developed such a strain.
This has been an area of wonder and curiosity to me for some time and sure would like someone to chime and an enlighten us ALL.
I believe I have seen this with my own eyes and was unsure, the plant did have some odd growth and patterns and etc.

you're joking right? I don't believe the Colombians have anything more than feminised seeds which will give a bigger faster yield of sticky big buds....no GM.

Jack Herer was not known as a breeder or developer of strains, bud. And if he was dabbling, it wasn't to refine triploid mutations ;)

I'm sure they are simply talking about some hybrid.
I hope these imported hybrids are confined to greenhouses because the columbian gold of the 80's was great and, I believe it would be more beneficial to some medical users because of the high CBD content.
Almost all of the selective breeding, up until the past 10 years, was done to increase THC content and appearance without regard to the other medically beneficial compounds that they may have unintentionally bred out of the hybrid strains. CBD has been proven to counteract the paranoia some people experience with medical marihuana and the prescription THC Marinol. CBD's are effective in reducing nausea, convulsions , inflammation and anxiety -plus might be a natural antidepressant. Sativex, made in England by the original Seed Bank breeder of most of the building block strains (Skunk #1, Northern Lights...), Is natural and contains both CBD and THC.
...My point is that the old columbian had a perfect mix of THC & CBD for most medical use and it not be a good thing to be watering down the strain by allowing it to become crossbred with everything else (unless it was thai, that would be interesting). The columbian gold of the 80's was some serious narcotic-like, lazy, couch-lounging shit!

About GM weed: Eventually the Neo-Con fuckheads will decide that there is too much money being made by a bunch of dope-growin' hippies and take over the entire medical marijana industry. They will contaminate all of the strains with some terminator gene that they will activate at a time they see fit, eliminating all of the breeders & growers seed supplies in a matter of moths! They will take over and grow shit-weed in third world countries for a dollar a kilo & sell it to patients here for $25 per gram. Only people who kept clones alive will have any descent strains but then they will send the DEA to kick in the doors of all of the growers foolish enough to register with their "legal"' states, they will put them out of business and confiscate all of their assets and possessions & send them to third-world work camps where they will be forced to grow the dirt-weed the Neo-Cons sell to patients for $25 per gram.
This is a bleak future but it could happen -They did basically the same thing to the corn and wheat growers in the US and Canada who refused to buy Monsanto's Round-Up-Ready seeds! -The farmers crops were contaminated with Monsanto's GM pollen & the next year his crop has the Monsanto gene; Monsanto sends their snitches out in the farmers field to test his crops for their gene & then sues him for stealing their gene & the courts find them guilty of patent infringement and Monsanto takes everything they own, including the family farm! (true story, again and again)

Sorry if I went off topic a bit!

DX

WRONG! Jack had a whole shitload of seeds everyone and their brother gave him during his extensive travels....you guys are fabricating a story based on what some guy said......

and your mutant theory doesn't mean squat.....there are many more varaiables than a 3 fingered leaf and internode counts....the plant wasn't even healthy nor does the original poster seem to know what he's doing growing. These are all significant things to figure when gathering info on a plant.

54 bucks a kilo is top shelf in Cali. The jungle gold weed from up by the Caribbean goes about double that. Most of the gold weed ends up being sold in Jamaica and Europe at inflated prices to tourists. :yahoo::yahoo::ganjamon::tokin: RD :peace::peace:

WRONG! Jack had a whole shitload of seeds everyone and their brother gave him during his extensive travels....you guys are fabricating a story based on what some guy said......

and your mutant theory doesn't mean squat.....there are many more varaiables than a 3 fingered leaf and internode counts....the plant wasn't even healthy nor does the original poster seem to know what he's doing growing. These are all significant things to figure when gathering info on a plant.

Please give a reference. Just saying "nuh uh!", has little pull. This would probably be a good thing to bring up in that thread also, if you feel what you know is right. It seems you know quite a bit about him, but if you are going to say someone on the forum is a "fabricator", please have proof.

I'm not saying your wrong, honestly I don't know much about Jack (pun intended). I just want a reference so I can learn more.

I have no mutant theory, and understand little about cannabis genetics. But I don't think GM refers to breeding out a mutation, it would have to do with treating seeds with things like colchicine right?

"Genetically modified" is too broad a term. It can mean anything from crossing two plants, to tinkering with the plant's DNA. They are simply referring to Dutch engineered seeds, which are totally natural. They used the term to make you uneasy to buy Colombian product.

I just love it. Think this just shows were the real knowledge about Marijuana lies "with the medical users and the connoisseurs". Don't think they mean genetically modified believe feminized or hybrid.

Please give a reference. Just saying "nuh uh!", has little pull. This would probably be a good thing to bring up in that thread also, if you feel what you know is right. It seems you know quite a bit about him, but if you are going to say someone on the forum is a "fabricator", please have proof.

I'm not saying your wrong, honestly I don't know much about Jack (pun intended). I just want a reference so I can learn more.

I have no mutant theory, and understand little about cannabis genetics. But I don't think GM refers to breeding out a mutation, it would have to do with treating seeds with things like colchicine right?

we got off topic when couple of you guys said or inferred, "bred by the emperor himself" and made reference to his breeding which he was NOT .

If you don't know anything, why are you commenting here in a thread about science and history? a true technical topic? Maybe you are best gathering info and researching until you are able to articulate with some real knowledge.
You can start with Greg Green's "The Cannabis Breeder's Bible"

1667285823927.png

You could also ask ED about Jack...they were great friends
my advice is to quote from where your info came from unless you have 1st hand exprience
Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom