Gnats and sand?

Blazednndazed

So I have a pretty big gnat problem in a few of my regular house hold plants, not my mj plants, and I really wanna take care of this before it gets to my indoor mj plants.

I know there is a really fine sand you can cover your soil with and it will kill them as they try to burrow/emerge, but I can't remember what its called, anyone know? Also Ill start using neem oil tomorrow and was wondering if there was anything else that would work? Thanks for the help.

I haven't heard of it before... Sorry. I know you can mix vinegar and dishsoap in a bowl. They'll dive in but not out. ;-) Or that fly paper stuff works pretty good, too. Let me know if you find out the name of the stuff you are looking for.

Will do Ms. Fox. Gnats are probaly the pest I hate the most, anything else is pretty easy to fix but gnats are just tricky little bastards lol.

So I have a pretty big gnat problem in a few of my regular house hold plants, not my mj plants, and I really wanna take care of this before it gets to my indoor mj plants.

I know there is a really fine sand you can cover your soil with and it will kill them as they try to burrow/emerge, but I can't remember what its called, anyone know? Also Ill start using neem oil tomorrow and was wondering if there was anything else that would work? Thanks for the help.

You're probably thinking of diatamaceous earth. It's the skeletons of minute creatures known as diatoms that settled on the ocean floor millenia ago. It is used as animal feed supplement, added to chicken feed it helps rid them of internal parasites and supplies trace elements. It can be added to soil or hydro grows as it's good for plants too.

It also sucks the living juices out of bugs. All sorts of bugs. I got some a few years ago to kill ants on our acreage. I put a ring of the stuff around an ant hill so the little bastards have to walk through it. It gets in their joints and dries them out. Most garden supply centers will sell you a little can of it for like $10. I got a fifty pound bag at a local farm supply for $30.

If you put a half inch or so on top of the soil the fungus gnat larva will be killed as they emerge. The gnats need to lay their eggs in moist soil or rockwool with growing plants as the babies feed on the roots. Make sure there are no open bags of potting soil etc and water from the bottom to keep the top of the soil dry. Add a tbsp. or so to your spray bottle and after you spray your plants the powder will dry and be effective against mites, thrips and others. Shake the sprayer all the time or the stuff will settle fast. Non poisonous but don't breath the powder and avoid too much skin contact as it will dry you up too.

I had a pretty bad gnat problem and I got this stuff called "desert sand soil cover "(for interior house plants). I think the manufacturer is "Mosser Lee". It worked great! I still have a few straggler but they cannot penetrate the soil so they will be gone soon. I think you can also you a medium grit mason sand that you can get at home depot for a few bucks. But make sure its medium grit and never use the play sand stuff it messes everything up. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom