Gnats?

Bevelman

420 Member
I don't know what these are. they are tiny and have somehow infested my indoor grow. I have tried cider vinegar, malathion, and raid for 21 days in a row. All I got was hundreds and hundreds of dead bugs, but they would not go away. I threw my whole grow outside, and washed with soap and water my entire grow room. 2'x3'x6'. new pots, new soil and one month later and they are back. I do not have access to neem oil. One picture has very fine tweezers in it for perspective...
Does anyone recognize these pests and more importantly know how to get rid of them?
Thanks for the help, Greg
bug1.jpg
bug2.jpg
bug3.jpg
bug.jpg
bug1.jpgbug2.jpgbug3.jpgbug.jpg

Not sure looks like fungus gnat only bigger... Spinosad, safers soap, insecticide soap...??

mosquito dunks or mosquito bits soaked in 5 gallon bucket for watering. they like wet soil so maybe try bottom watering for a while, use bigger wash tub with 6 inches of water in it to bottom feed
let top dry out, sulfur dust makes top of soil un-attractive to them

mosquito dinks or bits mixed in top 4 inch layer of soil and applied as top dress

fans at soil line and around canopy, keep air moving

yellow sticky cards... keep a few on soil and others hanging above canopy, apple cider vinegar in fly trap bottle

flame thrower, thermonuclear device...

as always... see what else comes in

Yes, they do look like they could be Fungus Gnats. I can't really get an idea of how large they are since the accessory you put in the one picture does not look familiar.

Do a bit of research here on this message board or just do a general search using google or your favorite search engine. The insects are a common problem for anyone who grows inside whether they are growing Marijuana or regular houseplants. The ways to get rid of them are the same no matter what you might be growing.

The insects lay their eggs in the very top of moist soil. The larvae will live in the top couple of inches where they eat organic material which can include roots of the plants. One of the most common ways, and the easiest, is to let the top of the soil dry out. Water when necessary and let the soil dry out again. It could take several drying cycles.

Mosquito Dunks or Mosquito Bits are an easy solution but you do have to mix the Dunks into a bucket of water. The Bits can just be sprinkled on the surface of the soil.

The important ingredient is called Bti and it is very important to get the product that will say Bti on the ingredients listing. It is a bacteria that will last for a while in water and wet soil. The Gnat larvae eats the bacteria and the bacteria then destroys the larva's digestive system so it dies. It will not hurt the plants or any of the beneficial organisms in the soil.

It is important that you get Bti because if it is the regular Bt then it will not work on the larvae. Regular Bt is used as a spray for leaf eating insects, usually caterpillars so check the ingredients list.

If you cannot find Mosquito Dunks or Bits where you are at check the gardening section of hardware stores for any gardening product meant to treat water for Mosquitoes. I found a different brand than the company that makes Mosquito Bits which still contained the Bti so I bought that for any problems that might come up this winter.

Have a fun filled day.

Hey Bev - Bugs can really bug a guy!!! Double check that they are not an Aphid killer - there is a small wasp that lays it's eggs in aphids and the aphid dies within two hours. I learned this via Konk.
I also at some point figured out that a weird looking caterpiller was actually a baby ladybug - I felt real bad that I had squished so many as they eat more aphids than the mature ladybugs. Good Luck!!

I don't know what these are. they are tiny and have somehow infested my indoor grow. I have tried cider vinegar, malathion, and raid for 21 days in a row. All I got was hundreds and hundreds of dead bugs, but they would not go away. I threw my whole grow outside, and washed with soap and water my entire grow room. 2'x3'x6'. new pots, new soil and one month later and they are back. I do not have access to neem oil. One picture has very fine tweezers in it for perspective...
Does anyone recognize these pests and more importantly know how to get rid of them?
Thanks for the help, Greg
bug1.jpg
bug2.jpg
bug3.jpg
bug.jpg
bug1.jpgbug2.jpgbug3.jpgbug.jpg
You did a GREAT job with all the illustration! Do you know if I should plant in the soil that I have.....the bag is leaking water.....and after seeing this, I'm kinda afraid to open it!

You did a GREAT job with all the illustration! Do you know if I should plant in the soil that I have.....the bag is leaking water.....and after seeing this, I'm kinda afraid to open it!
The first thing you have to ask yourself is "Why is the bag of soil leaking water?".

Most likely it leaks water because it was not stored properly. The soil should be damp. It should not be so wet that water leaks out of the bag or drips off when a handful is squeezed. The soil should be loose and you will be able to tell this just by moving the bag around.

What is the name of the soil and the name of the company printed on the bag? Or, take a photo showing the information.

The first thing you have to ask yourself is "Why is the bag of soil leaking water?".

Most likely it leaks water because it was not stored properly. The soil should be damp. It should not be so wet that water leaks out of the bag or drips off when a handful is squeezed. The soil should be loose and you will be able to tell this just by moving the bag around.

What is the name of the soil and the name of the company printed on the bag? Or, take a photo showing the information.
Thanks for the reply so fast,,,,,was hoping I'd find out before I got ready to plant. It was not stored properly. Outside, in the rain @ Lowe's. The name is by Miracle Gro "PERFORMANCE" organic. Is that a good soil? Couldn't find any of the others that have been recommended. I'm a NEWBIE!! We're going to try a few different pots.....have you ever tried "manure tea" or adding cow manure to your soil????? I'll let you know the difference....Thanks again!

They store the bags outside because the garden section manager does not know any better. When it rains or the snow melts water will get into the soil through every small hole or tear in the bag. Then it is trapped in there until someone opens the bag, spreads the soil out and lets it start to dry out.

Adding manure to your soil or using manure to make a liquid fertilizer solution is OK if you are growing outside. Do a search on this message board and a general internet search for "Compost Tea" which is the same principal. I really believe is what you are looking for.

You should be able to find any of the other recommended soils for growing Marijuana if you go to a hydro-shop or a grow-shop. Check with any gardening store in the area. They sometimes will have several different brands and just about any of those will be better than the Miracle Gro soils. Nothing really wrong with the Miracle Gro but it is meant for potting annual flowers for the porch or re-potting basic houseplants to put on the windowsill.

Back
Top Bottom