God's First Grow - COB & LED - Cuvee, Jack Skellington - SCROG

GodOfPot

Updated Info
Aug. 29th upgraded lights to a SunPlus Pioneer P6 COB + LED
Sep. 9th added 2 x 2' T5 HO lights as a source of UVA/B
No more mystery plants(none of the bag seed germinated) just 2x Cuvee(Indy hybrid) + 2x Jack Skellington (Sativa Hybrid)
Nutes are now fertilome 20-20-20 for veg, fertilome Blooming 9-58-8, fertilome plant & root starter, and CalMag

*****​

Hey all,

First time grower here, I'm sure there'll be mistakes along the way(already has been lol!) but that's part of what makes it fun, learning and growing!!

4*4*6.5 tent
1800W LED (Don't think I can put the brand in) have a HydroFarm PAR meter and power meter(to read watts/amps) coming soon so will have more info on the lights performance
Medium = pro mix seedling soil for germination then 50% pro mix HP, 25% perlite, 25% vermiculite for Veg/Flower - currently in 3 gal smart pots in veg
Nutes = GH Flora trio, ferti-lome root stimulator(possibly more down the line we'll see)
Strains = 2x Jack Skellington(70/30 Sat - SeedBank), 2x Cuvee(70/30 Ind - SeedBank), and possibly 1 mystery(had free seeds given to me, haven't been able to get 1 to germinate as of yet out of like 10, more on that soon)
Temp = 72-78(no exhaust yet,have a 6" 440 CFM inline fan with carbon filter and speed control along with 2 rotating fans on their way)
RH = 42-52
Water = Tap water, 220 PPM, 8.03 PH(haven't really read a lot about PPM yet, so will be looking for advice and checking up on that more) fill 2 5 gal buckets with tap water throw air stones and pump into them for a couple days, keep them on continuous rotation so the chlorine can hopefully completely evaporate(there's no chloramine in our water according to the report)

So let's start off!

Germination

Began process on Aug 2nd, put 2x cuvee, 2x JS and 8x mystery seeds in room temp water for 15hrs, then placed into solo(dixie) cups with pro-mix seedling soil, placed wrap over top for a humidity dome and punched a couple holes in it.

2 days later both the JS/CV had sprouted, nothing from mystery yet. 1 weeks goes by and the JS/CV are doing great looking healthy yet still nothing from mystery seeds. Decide to dig one out and see if it even had a tail, nothing, so dug all 8 of the mystery seeds out and put them in a damp paper towel, 1 day goes by and nothing, 2 days and they show signs of mold, so toss them.

Go back into the bag and try the paper towel method with 5 more, 2 days and nothing so far. Decide to see if wife has a magic finger, so get her to try to see if she can get a tail sprouted, so give her 5 today(only actually want 1 to sprout) so we'll see if she can get a tail sprouted or not, if she can't out of these 5 I'll wait till my next grow(still have a good 15-20 mystery seeds left to try with)

I'd figured I would run into problems with the mystery seeds since they're just a collection of a friends from years and years which probably hadn't been stored properly, didn't expect it to be an 0/13(so far) but oh well.

Here's some pics from a few days ago

P516.jpg

P427.jpg

P332.jpg

P260.jpg

P169.jpg

The Transplant

2.5 days ago I watered my plants and noticed the roots beginning to pop out the holes on the bottom of their cups, so I waited 1.5 days and transplanted them, this is where I made my error.

I transplanted them into 3 gal smart pots with 50% pro mix, 25%P+V. Even though they're still young I wasn't sure if I should feed them yet or not, but I decided since there's no nutes/ferts in their new pots that I should feed them a light feed, so going by the GH trio nute guide listed in the forums here and instead of using 2.5ml per gallon I used 2ml. Plants looked healthy this morning, didn't seem to be bothered or stressed at all, will take pics later and post them in their new homes.

The error I believe was going to a 3 gal pot. I should have gone cup > 1 gal > 5 gal. Now that they're in their 3 gal homes I'm afraid that by the time I want to lay down my SCROG screen the roots won't be developed enough to transplant them to their final 5 gal homes, and if I wait for the roots to develop enough they'll be taller then I'd like for my screen. So here I'm stuck and undecided a little as to what I should do, hopefully my root stimulator will be here soon(like this week please!!!!) and hopefully that'll help out a lot in developing them!

The Plan

The plan is to SCROG. My screen design I'm a little undecided on as of yet however, so I'm open to advice here.

What I've been thinking is since I have 2 Sat's and 2 Indys is to make my screen 4' deep, then 2' wide and at both the left and right side I'll add a 45 deg angle upwards for 1'(so it still ends up being 4' wide) and keep the Sats on the side, thus allowing them to grow a little taller than the Indys, and take more advantage of the fade off on LEDs, and just plot the Indys in the middle.

Completely open to suggestions here since I haven't even began to build my screen yet.

I'll be vegging until roughly 75% of screen is full then flip to flower, both the JS/CV are a 45-60 day flower plant.

I guess that's all I could think of for now, open to ideas and suggestions, will post updated photos as I move along. Pretty damn excited for my first grow finally! All input and feedback is welcome!!!

re: God's First Grow- COB & LED - Cuvee, Jack Skellington - SCROG

Few pics from post transplant

P615.JPG

P517.JPG

P428.JPG

P333.JPG

P262.JPG

P170.JPG

Looks like they all took well to the transplant, no signs of stress for the most part. 2nd pic(1st overhead view) is one of the JS, it seems to be growing at a much slower pace. They all sprouted the same time, but the development of this one has been far behind the others since they sprouted. Not sure why, seems to look healthy and all, so will just have to continue watching.

Got my PAR meter in and was pretty disappointed in the results, seller claims to have a PAR footprint of 707 on a 4'x4' table @ 18", yet my reading displayed around 380 dead center @ 18", which is a HUGE difference, and gets much worse as it tappers off, by the edge of the 4'x4' table it drops to 100.

Have contacted seller, they seems to have great customer service feedback, so want to see what's going on and if they'll do anything to rectify it(perhaps send 2-3 more free of charge!!!!), else wise I'll continue for this grow and look into something much better moving forward.

It's listed as drawing 325W from the outlet. Still don't have my meter to test that yet, but I assume it's around there

I posed the below question in a different thread will pose it here as well. Perhaps someone can link me to a good thread/read regarding the use of tap water and PPM using the same medium as me (50%peat moss w/ Mycorrhizae, 25%P+V)

Just wanna make sure about something, since I haven't seen a lot posted in regards to soiless mixes and PPM's

I'll be using tap water, which is about 8.01PH and 220PPM. I let it sit in 5 gallon buckets for a couple days with an aeration stone in it, then I transfer to 1 gal buckets for the feeding. In the 1 gal buckets I add my nutes, let them settle for a bit then use white vinegar to get my PH down to the 5.7-5.9 range, iirc the PPM after I add the nutes in this stage(seedling) is around 350

The medium is 50% peat moss, 25%V, 25%P. I haven't seen a lot posted about the PPM, I assume as the stages go up and I'm adding more nutes the PPM will rise as well, will this be a problem for me? Or are my PPMs for this medium in acceptable ranges?

Some pics on the set up and plants

IMG_189536.JPG

IMG_189429.JPG

The 2 Cuvee are on the left, JS on the right.

This is JS, it hasn't grown at all really since it's transplant, both of the JS have fallen behind the Cuvee really
IMG_187922.JPG

IMG_188128.JPG

This is the other JS
IMG_188220.JPG

IMG_188528.JPG

This is the Cuvees
IMG_188626.JPG

IMG_188726.JPG

IMG_188923.JPG

IMG_189130.JPG

So fan finally came in today, will spend some time during the week to set it up.

Decided that I'm not satisfied AT ALLl with my current light, spent some time this weekend looking at it's footprint and it just isn't at all what it was advertised, like not even close. Currently in a debate with the manufacturer over this.
This is from their ad
PAR.jpg

Now to me, this suggests that @ 18" it's hitting 701 PAR up to 4' out. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but following their 4' index and going straight up, it suggests that's the boundaries for their 18". When I did my testing, at dead center I was only peaking around 550.

So I decided to move on. I got in touch with one of our sponsors here and just finished purchasing a P6, which has a VERY impressive footprint and spectrum. Just waiting for this to come in now(hopefully by Friday!!!!) and will probably begin updating again once I have that set up.
Here's the spectrum for the P6 I just purchased;
spec.png

The one thing it seems to be lacking a little on is UV production.
I'm looking for an inexpensive way to introduce some more UV lighting if anyone has a suggestion, it would be appreciated.
Today is officially the beginning of week 1 for me, they'll be getting their first proper nute feed later on.

I'll give a shout out to our sponsor here once everything has arrived and been set up. Really excited about this !!

Did a bunch of stuff this weekend and got some more set up! My new light came in and just got that finished setting up!! All I'm waiting for now really is my 2 2' T5 HO lamps and bulbs to come in, I've found a company who makes a "special" UVA/B bulb and I'm going to set up 2 in my tent, 24w each.

I'd like to find a better tray to catch my run off but what I have for now will do. Set up my carbon filter this weekend, I'm working in a tight space so my filter/fan venting has a lot of bends in it and I don't think it's pulling nearly the suction it should be, so gotta try and figure something out for that, but everything else seems good so far.

Give a big shout out to one of our sponsors here Techman(SunPlus). I got this new light the P6 for $500 US(only until Sep. 2nd then goes up to $700) and while I haven't had much time with it I've been very ipressed with my findings so far. With COBS + LEDS on this things pulling 650w from the wall, that's an amazing draw for $500.

In the pic below my lamp is @36" from the top of the tallest plant.
IMG_190430.JPG

At the top of the plants I'm pulling 900-1k umol/s, from 36". As I wander out to the edge of the perimiter I'm still pulling 400-500 umol/s(dips down to 200-250 in a couple spots), which is very impressive for flower compared to my other LED I paid $300 for and was dropping below 100. Plus the spectrum on this thing is one of the best I've seen, so honestly big props to our sponsor for this(no I didn't get a discount or don't get paid for saying this).

IMG_190329.JPG

With LEDs + COB

IMG_190230.JPG

Just the COB

IMG_190140.JPG

Cuvee

IMG_190037.JPG

Jack Skellington

IMG_189929.JPG

Cuvee

IMG_189840.JPG

Jack Skellington

IMG_189732.JPG

Cuvee

IMG_189632.JPG

2 on the left are Cuvee, 2 on the right JS

They're in their 2nd week of veg right now, I began adding furtilome root + plant stimulator into their nutes(GH Flora 3 series) and I'm waiting on my other 2 fertlome nutes to arrive and I'll be switching over to using fertilome only.'

All 4 plants have been topped once so far now.

Girls are going pretty good, the 2 Indicas are just trumping the Sats big time, they're filling out really well and staying nice and short, think I'm gonna have to give it my first shot at trimming some leaves

I planted then too deep into their current smart pots wish they were higher up, will have to be sure not to make that mistake for the final transplant

How can one tell when they're ready for their next transplant from a smart pot? No way to really see their roots or anything so just wondering

Anyways here's the small ones, still in week 2 veg, they have been LOVING their new light, it's really shown
420-magazine-mobile76845622.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1159065198.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1219303017.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1534659277.jpg

Sub'd - Looking Great!

Thank you for the compliments.

Happy Growing!

T.

First Grow - Indoors - LED - Cuvee, Jack Skellington, Mystery - SCROG

Looking for some help/advice on PH levels if someone can assist
First off what is the actual PH of my medium? Is it the run off, or the run off + the difference?

So ph'd my water to 5.8, run off = 6.9, is my PH therefore 6.9 or 6.9+1.1 = 8.0?

Been concerned about my high PH for a few weeks now, haven't added anything to soil yet but I did water them with PH 3.8 water a couple days ago and my run off was still 6.2, so really wanna get a grip on understanding this and getting it under control, trying to get it at 5.8

Any advice help would be much appreciated ..

I'm interested in that light, how hott does it get? I've never seen a light with the big bulbs like that. Dosent seem too bright to me. The light you had was not that great, the full pink spectrum ones. The 450w led lights that I have tho are amazing! I run 3 of them 1 for each plant.

I don't worry too much about the medium ph, on my last grow I was NEVER able to get the run off below 7. Even with feeding 5.0. I'm thinking I didn't have enough perlite for drainage, but it didn't effect the grow at all. So now I just water at 6.5 and occasionally check the run off ph just to make sure nothing has gone haywire.

The new light is absolutely outstanding, heat wise my understanding is it's based on actual wattage draw, this is drawing 620-650w so I'd say the equivalent of heat of a 600w hps/mh set up. I'm confident this single light will have 0 problems flowering a 4'x4' space however
Reason I wanna get my ph under control is because I am starting to show signs on my largest plant of a lockout problem I assume is associated with high ph

So relocated my whole tent to another spot in hopes of being able to get better performance from my exhaust
However in doing so I dropped a bunch of stuff on one of my Cuvees, squished the plant and broke a big stem in half, not the major one luckily
Should I rip that branch off or let it be in hopes it heals itself?
Will post pics later

Forgot to take pics, will do later on

Decided to just rip off the broken branches, gave 3 of them a good feed today and flushed the one which was having the largest PH problems until the run off matched the 5.8 I was feeding it with, took about 6 gallons to do so.

The move went well, got the tent set up in a better place, exhaust is working better now, finished making my screen for SCROG too.

UVA/B bulbs came in, gonna run out and grab 2x 2' T5 HO units later on this week and get those hooked up.

Just waiting for my new line of nutes to arrive(fertilome), hopefully should be here this week.

Going to transplant into their final 5 gal pots within the next week or so, so that I can start training them into the screen.

Will post some pics later on tonight

Back
Top Bottom