Goldbud420's DIY Aeroponic Trial - White Russian - 4 x 100w LEDs

Re: Goldbud420's DIY Aeroponic Trial- White Russian- Blue Planet Nutrients- 4 x 100w

Wow! Everything's looking great. I suggest that you increase the size of your drain line in the future. You could also place a coarse, non-reactive (plastic) screen in each tube above the end cap.

For a closet garden, this might be the most efficient one I've ever seen. I'll be eagerly awaiting your next report.

Re: Goldbud420's DIY Aeroponic Trial- White Russian- Blue Planet Nutrients- 4 x 100w

Awesome grow man.I plan on switching from soil to aeroponics, sick of having to pour water all over fight gants and just all round pain in the ass. I was gonna do ebb n flow but your aeroponic system inspired me. Quick question does that water pump raise the temps in your res significanty? Keep up the good work

Thanks a bunch, guys. That's a good idea to put a screen in the tube; also, to increase the size of the drain. At this point, though, I'll have to wait until the next batch; I don't want to tear up the roots by pulling off the endcap. I've mitigated the problem to a large extent by changing the pump schedule (see previous post) and I've set my pump to turn off for an hour every four hours. Initially, I was worried that this might have ill effects on the plants in the tubes that drain quickly, but all the girls are looking great. I will try to post some pics tonight.

2high- Thanks, man. I'm glad that my system has piqued your curiosity; that was one of my goals in writing this journal.As far as I'm concerned, hydro is the best. Once set up, it is much less work than a soil based system, you eliminate fungus gnats and other soil-borne pests. Ebb n flow is pretty excellent, but I found that the pH needed to be adjusted almost every day when the plants are small, and I was going through truckloads of hydroton. My pump did appear to raise the temp in my res (which concerned me initially). However, the main reason to keep your res cool is to make sure that there is plenty of oxygen in the water (as oxygen is more soluble in colder water). The beauty of the aeroponics is that there is plenty of air in the tube and that the spray also introduces air.

Also, by changing the pumping schedule (to include off time), the res stays much cooler.

I was stuck on the ebb n flow but always wanted areoponics. I know it can be some what trouble sum but like anything got to try. Plus I was gonna go verbatim From what you have posted so no error. Keep up the good work won't be trying till my soil grows done 6 weeks to go and thank god!!!! Keep up the awesome work if it wasn't for this journal I would of never thought about doing areo just due to lack of info and journals so thanks a mill plus ebb n flow like $500-600 aero 150-200 diy an the pride of building it well that's priceless also I can use that extra $ for co2, I'll be watching your journal till the end. Thanks dude enjoy your weekend tell the ladies I said hello ; )

Thanks a bunch, 2high, and good luck with your grow.

Flowering, Day 23
Moving right along...

To maintain airflow, I pruned the lower branches and trimmed some of the leafy top growth. I also added about 10 gallons of water, which topped off my res and brought the nute strength to ~1120 ppm. To bring the solution back up to strength, I added only ~2 gallons worth of nutes at the same levels that I am currently at.

IMG_24508.JPG
IMG_24523.JPG
IMG_24545.JPG
IMG_24553.JPG
IMG_24566.JPG
IMG_24573.JPG
IMG_24623.JPG
IMG_24655.JPG
IMG_24645.JPG
IMG_24635.JPG

It's getting pretty thick in there. It looks like your methodology has increased the number of flowering sites and the bud size. I'm interested in seeing if you finish earlier than 60-65 days. I expect special results. Keep up the good work!

Flowering, Day 33

Just a little pruning and thinning on Day 33. And pictures.

IMG_24674.JPG
IMG_24686.JPG
IMG_24735.JPG
IMG_24746.JPG
IMG_24786.JPG
IMG_24797.JPG
IMG_24813.JPG
IMG_24824.JPG
IMG_24836.JPG
IMG_24854.JPG

Flowering, Day 39

I remixed the reservoir on Day 39. The solution was getting a bit salty, so I drained it and remixed at 12 mL Grow, 7 mL Micro, 20 mL Bloom and 8 mL Liquid Blue each per gallon. After correcting the pH to 5.7, the nutrient strength was 1200 ppm.

Ya, I see what appears to be a little nute burn. You shouldn't be getting nute burn at 1200 ppm but some strains are more sensitive to nutes than others. Your grow is looking REALLY, REALLY good though. Very frosty colas.
:high-five:

My guess would be that the reservoir got a little too "salty". I noticed that you've already rectified this problem. Are you still suffering from drainage issues?

The buds from this grow seem to be larger and more dynamic than your ebb and flow. How long until your anticipated harvest date?

Yeah, a little nute burn, compounded with some bleaching from the lights and heat stress. The week before I took this pic, temperatures in my area were 100+, and I neglected to put the AC on before work. When I got home, it was about 100 in my grow room. There was excessive transpiration during this period as the plants tried to keep cool, and it caused my nutes to get up around 1300+ ppm, maybe more.

Also, my plants are about 12" from the lights, maybe less (and there is no more room to raise the lights). At this distance, AdvancedLED warns against serious damage to the plants, so I'm glad its limited to a bit of scorching on the leaves. In the future, I will spend a week to 10 days less in veg in an attempt to keep the plants a bit smaller.

My drainage issues continue; I didn't try any of the fixes you guys suggested because they would potentially damage the roots. I will implement them for the next grow. For now, I have been turning off that tube about 8 hrs into the cycle. Considering that row has been growing in saturated conditions for most of the grow, the plants are doing very well.

I anticipate them finishing at 56-60 days, maybe a little sooner. As you guys can probably tell, my journal is lagging behind the real-time grow, but in real-time, they should be ready in 8-12 days (today is day 48).

Thanks for the props, gentleman. I will try to get some more pics up soon.

Man I should have you fly here to help me with my grow!

my plants are about 12" from the lights, maybe less (and there is no more room to raise the lights).

When the grow is finished, why don't you retrofit your grow closet. It should enable you to gain approximately 1.5 to 2 feet in height.

I continue to be very impressed. Your ingenuity and horticultural expertise make you a nova in the galaxy of amateur growers.
:bravo:

I got here late, but still in time for the good stuff. I hope you don't mind me coming along for the ride. I have read both of your journals now and I am very impressed.. Why your rep isn't higher is beyond me, but you have to be one of the best kept secrets here at 420. Both grows your plants have looked insanely healthy and your attention to detail is second to none. I will say the one thing I do like about you not being one of the more popular growers is I can read through you journals in a sitting, but you definitely deserve the attention of one.

The aero setup is nice especially for a DIY. I was initially attracted to your Journal because you were using LED lights and you have inspired me to purchase my own. My tent will be roughly 6x6 so I was thinking 6 ds100, or 3 ds200. I believe I will get the best coverage from the 6 100s but would the penetration from the 200 be a difference maker? Sorry to ramble on in your journal, but the setup is soooo important and there is so much to consider.

James- Haha, sounds like a fun job. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Dean- This isn't the first time I've run into this problem. I think I'll probably increase the size of my grow space, as you suggest after I wrap up this grow.

Chris- Glad to have you join us. Thanks for the love. I would definitely go with the six 100's; the canopy uniformity you get by having more points of light (and less shadows) leads to really nice harvests. Also, as the wattage of the larger lamps is achieved by adding more LEDs to the panel, penetration is the same regardless of wattage (much in the same way that ten 100 watt light bulbs don't have the same penetration as a 1000w bulb).

And like James said, definitely add CO2. The benefits in a small room far outweigh the costs.

Flowering, Day 51

This will be the final week of flowering. Actually, Day 51 was last weekend, so I am going to harvest tomorrow (Day 57).

On Day 51, I drained the res, and refilled with water only (pH corrected to 5.9), and have been flushing for the past week. As you can see, they are finishing up nicely.

IMG_24905.JPG
IMG_249111.JPG
IMG_24929.JPG
IMG_24936.JPG
IMG_24966.JPG
IMG_24977.JPG
IMG_24986.JPG
IMG_250112.JPG
IMG_250212.JPG

Back
Top Bottom