GoogleGenie Returns: Wedding Cake & Friends, Coco & RDWC, LED, ScrOG

Hey guys! It's been a long time - almost 5 years. But I'm back. I've been growing again this past couple of years and thought I'd share what I'm up to.

What strain is it?
Wedding Cake
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
80% Indica, 20% Sativa
Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Just germinated seeds
If in Veg... For how long?
Plan to Veg for 4 weeks and flip
If in Flower stage... For how long?
Expect to flower for 8-10 weeks - or chop when the trichomes are 30% amber.
Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor
If indoor...Dimensions (L x D x H) of grow space?
Veg Space : 120cm x 60cm x 160cm
Flowering Space A : 120cm x 120cm x 200cm
Flowering Space B : 120cm x 120cm x 180cm
Soil or Hydro?
Hydro
Size of light?
1 x Mars Refelector (For Veg)
1 x Mars SP 250 (250w draw)
3 x Mars SP 3000 (300w draw)
Is it aircooled?
No. Simple extraction and intake through negative pressure
Temp of Room?
75f
RH of Room?
40-50%
PH of media or res?
How often are you watering?
Coco is watered small amounts multiple times per day. Coco will always be at least barely moist.
RDWC Systems will be topped up as necessary.
Water quality?
I collect rain water. Rain water is 0 EC. I'm able to collect and store up to 500L at any one time.
When i run low I dilute tap water with rain water to start at 0.3ec.
Tap water is a last resort for me. My starting tap water EC is 0.6. Tap water and LED lighting don't go well together in my experience.
What Fertilisers do you use?
These are all of the nutrients i use throughout the entire lifecycle. Obviously I don't use them all at the same time :)
Base
Coco: Buddhas Tree Coco A + B or Ionic Coco Grow/Bloom
RDWC : Canna Aqua Vega/Flores or Ionic Hydro Grow/Bloom

Boosts
Buddhas Tree Flower Burst (Early bloom)
Buddhas Tree PK 918 (Mid bloom)
Buddhas Tree Metaboost (Mid bloom)
Atami Bloombastic (Late bloom)

Supplements
Buddhas Tree Solar Green Power (Veg and most of bloom)
TA Calcium Magnesium (At varying amounts through most of lifecycle)
TA Fulvic (Veg and early bloom)
Botanicare Sweet RAW (Mid to late bloom or to correct Mag deficiency)
Cannazyme (At regular intervals)
Drip Clean (Most feeds for DWC)
Advanced Nutrient Carboload (Used with bennies only to promote massive root growth)
TA Flashkleen (For flush)

Beneficials
Advanced Nutrient Voodoo Juice (Early veg and bloom)
Plant Success Great White (Most of Veg. Hand fed in DWC periodically)
Botanicare Hydroguard (Most DWC feeds)
Root Excellurator (Early veg and periodically in bloom)

How strong will nutrient feeds be?
When in coco, EC will range from 0.6 - 1.2ec (seedling to veg).
When in RDWC, EC will start at 1.0ec, may get as high as 1.4 during peak flowering, and will drop off to ~0.8ec, before the 5-7 day final flush.

I've been growing under LED exclusively for many years. Back in the days when much misinformation that they didn't work was flying around. LED does require some adjustments to my feeding regime, as did growing in a hyper aerated RDWC. I look forward to sharing my learning with you, learning more myself, and hopefully, helping the community along the way.
:Namaste:
best journal report I have seen --

And finally, here is the Weeding Cake seedling that I intend on using as a mother.

I topped her 5th node.

I'll leave her to recover for a bit. I won't be cloning her any time soon so i'm happy for her to just keep growing and develop a robust root system.

best journal report I have seen --
Hey @safeman! Thank you very much for saying that, that's quite a compliment :high-five:

I've been putting a lot of effort into this Journal too, that i started just before flipping my 4 Blue Kush ladies so it covers their entire flowering period. You're very welcome to stop by. It has a similar journal report:Namaste: I'll still be updating this one, however the other one is more detailed with daily updates. Why don't you come join us in there too, and meet Audrey :love:

:peace:

Hey @safeman! Thank you very much for saying that, that's quite a compliment :high-five:

I've been putting a lot of effort into this Journal that i started just before flipping my 4 Blue Kush ladies so it covers their entire flowering period. You're very welcome to stop by. It has a similar journal report:Namaste: I'll still be updating this one, however the other one is more detailed with daily updates. Why don't you come join us in there too, and meet Audrey :love:

Sure sounds GREAT !!!! always wanting to meet new cultivators - will be stopping by Peace !

A Lesson Learned :lot-o-toke:

It was a cold January morning, the lights are out, the chillers haven't kicked in yet. Just the smell of my morning coffee and the white noise that is the sound of the extractors fans, and the vibrations from the air pumps....

....and a hissing....

A very subtle hissing coming from the air pump can mean only 1 of 2 things.

1. One of the air lines has disconnected from the air pump. Checking.....All airlines are connected.....hhmm.

(DWC growers gasping right now)

OR

2. One or more of the airlines have slipped off the air stone. (the hissing being the increased pressure going through those lines from the pump).

AND IT DAWNS ON ME.

This yellowing:

Is the plant suffocating!

I gently pull the airlines from the bucket and sure enough, they slip out with nothing at the end of them. Both air stones, my primary, and my backup, have slipped off the airlines. Ffs!

I quickly attach 2 golf balls and push them deep into the dense now very sickly rootball.

Sprayed 15ml of Hydroguard, and 50ml of Cannazyme into the control bucket.

Sure enough, looking at the leaves when the lights came on, the plant was literally eating itself to stay alive:

Poor things. They must have been like this for days! Surviving from the secondary oxygenated water coming from the other buckets. The problem is that the rootball is so dense, it was difficult for the water to pass through.

Anyway, It's been almost a whole day and they do look to have picked up a little. hopefully I've got away with it. Will post some pics tomorrow.

Lesson learned. Premature yellowing of large top fan leaves around bud sites, mid/late flowering, or anytime I’d imagine = roots drowning/not enough o2 to root zone.
Learning something new everyday with DWC and every time I read you’re posts! .

Thanks you Chronic. The roots are always my priority. Healthy roots = healthy plant.

I do use root stimulants yes. I use Plant Success Great White from sprout until the beginning of flowering. This is the one that does most of the heavy lifting and starts the plant off with a well established, microbe rich rhizosphere.

This is probably the most important stimulant i use, if i could only pick 1 root stimulant - it would be Great White.

I hand feed a root tonic for the first few days of veg and flowering to promote more root growth. The root tonic consists of:
- Great White
- AN Carboload
- AN Voodoo Juice (if i have it)

Side note for the DWC growers​

While growing in RDWC i include House and Garden Root Excelurator (Silver, Gold for when i grow in Coco) for the first 2 weeks, and then periodically until harvest. Also in RDWC, i use Botanicare Hydroguard through most of the flowering phase. Hydroguard is not only a great way to keep your roots healthy in DWC (especially if you don't use a chiller), it also works wonders for curing Root Rot.

When creating monster root systems, it's best to start from young (seedling or clone). Establish a strong rhizosphere when they are young, and they will thank you later on :bong::peace:
Thats one juice “voodoo” I’ve been trying to find, heard so much good things about it. Great white never grow without it, it does amazing results! How much of GW do you use when making you’re tonic? I’ve been sprinkling it (from on the tip of toothpick) into the holes of my rockwool cubes for cloning, and it seems to be working..

Learning something new everyday with DWC
You and me both brother :laughtwo:
and every time I read you’re posts! .
I'm glad you have found some value in them @420ragz :Namaste: And thank you for sharing.
Thats one juice “voodoo” I’ve been trying to find, heard so much good things about it.
There is something about Voodoo Juice. When i go without it I find the stems don't get as large as when I do. Don't get me wrong, I can grow perfectly good plants without it, but because of that I use it if i can, in my tonic, and first 2 weeks of Veg and first 2 weeks of Flower. And that's it. It's expensive, but I use it so infrequently it lasts.
Great white never grow without it, it does amazing results!
I know right! It's magic stuff!
How much of GW do you use when making you’re tonic? I’ve been sprinkling it (from on the tip of toothpick) into the holes of my rockwool cubes for cloning, and it seems to be working..
I'm pretty generous with it in my tonic so I give about the same as they instruct for potted plants (around 1 scoop for 25L), I usually make around 10L of tonic at a time so usually half a scoop. Otherwise i sprinkle a little directly on roots when i get the chance, and also into the hole or on the bed where they are being transplanted. A little goes a long way, even when feeding at their recommended dosage. Really great stuff!

Looking good! :yummy: Do you always harvest gradually?
Hey @PowerPuffNugz. Thanks for stopping by.

For years I would put them in 24 hours of darkness and try and plough through the lot asap, harvesting in the dark. But now I take off the cooked colas and let the lower stuff mature a couple of days, then take that off, repeat until done. I usually do it over the course of 4-7 days now, depending on how much there is. I did many runs of the same strain of CBD a while back and tested it out. I noticed absolutely no difference at all between the quality/taste/smell between harvesting with the lights out vs with the lights on.

Hey guys! It's been a long time - almost 5 years. But I'm back. I've been growing again this past couple of years and thought I'd share what I'm up to.

What strain is it?
Wedding Cake
80% Indica, 20% Sativa
Just germinated seeds
Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor
Soil or Hydro?
Hydro
Size of light?
Is it aircooled?
Temp of Room?
75f
RH of Room?
40-50%
PH of media or res?
Coco is watered small amounts multiple times per day. Coco will always be at least barely moist.
Water quality?
I collect rain water. Rain water is 0 EC. I'm able to collect and store up to 500L at any one time.
Tap water is a last resort for me. My starting tap water EC is 0.6. Tap water and LED lighting don't go well together in my experience.
These are all of the nutrients i use throughout the entire lifecycle. Obviously I don't use them all at the same time :)
Base

Boosts

Supplements
Advanced Nutrient Carboload (Used with bennies only to promote massive root growth)

Beneficials

When in RDWC, EC will start at 1.0ec, may get as high as 1.4 during peak flowering, and will drop off to ~0.8ec, before the 5-7 day final flush.

I've been growing under LED exclusively for many years. Back in the days when much misinformation that they didn't work was flying around. LED does require some adjustments to my feeding regime, as did growing in a hyper aerated RDWC. I look forward to sharing my learning with you, learning more myself, and hopefully, helping the community along the way.
Impressive journal man

What strain is it?
Wedding Cake
80% Indica, 20% Sativa
Just germinated seeds
Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor
Soil or Hydro?
Hydro
Size of light?
Is it aircooled?
Temp of Room?
75f
RH of Room?
40-50%
PH of media or res?
Water quality?
Base

Boosts

Supplements

Beneficials

Just a thought I’m not a fan of the Mars hydro as it does not have the fans built in it for better air circulation. My opinion but I believe Amazon sells much better than Mars hydro

Just a thought I’m not a fan of the Mars hydro as it does not have the fans built in it for better air circulation. My opinion but I believe Amazon sells much better than Mars hydro
Hey @Jmaninthemiddle420. Thanks for stopping by :Namaste:

Personally, I'm not a fan of the lights with a fan on them. I have some of these in my attic.
I bought them years ago, also Mars Hydro, but with the fans. They're discontinued now. I recently upgraded to the ones without a fan.

I find that the fans add to the noise and the fans themselves can get dusty so they need to be maintained. Also on the new ones, the drivers (the things that generate a lot of the heat) can be moved out of the tent as they are on an extension. Which is really useful. Good circulation is a given in most environments for the sake of the plants and replenishing co2, so that will help move the air around if this is a concern, otherwise you can always point a fan at the light.

In terms of the brand, honestly, I have no complaints whatsoever with Mars Hydro. They're always quick to respond, and even in the earlier days (I bought my first light from them back in 2013), SmokeSara would always dig out information I asked them for, even if they didn't have it to hand (usually around the build quality and spectrum of the leds). I've never had one delivered damaged and they always grow great weed. Even the Mars II i have still work, my last run with them was 6months ago before I got my upgrades.

You could do a lot worse than Mars Hydro ;)

But i do appreciate the heads up. Thanks man

Blue Kush Lady #1 Harvest Result​

So as some of you guys know I had to take down one of the Blue Kush early due to the damage she incurred due to getting little/no oxygen for what was probably days!

I started on the weekend, now that it's dry I removed the buds from the larger stems and weighed her up

Total : 232g / 8.3oz
17g of which is popcorn i missed

Not too bad. I was hoping for 10oz from her, but not too far off the mark. She might have made it had it not been for "the incident". Anyway, onward and upward. Still 1 x Deep Cheese and 1 x Blue Kush left to go. I will be taking these down at the weekend. I'm really looking forward to taking down the Deep Cheese, her buds are absolutely rock hard! I'm hoping for 5oz at least from each of these as they're a little smaller than the lady i took down.

Blue Kush Lady #1 Harvest Result​

So as some of you guys know I had to take down one of the Blue Kush early due to the damage she incurred due to getting little/no oxygen for what was probably days!

I started on the weekend, now that it's dry I removed the buds from the large stems and weighed her up

Total : 232g / 8.3oz

Not too bad. I was hoping for at least 10oz from her, but not too far off the mark. She might have made it had it not been for "the incident". Anyway, onward and upward. Still 1 Deep Cheese and 1 Blue Kush left to go. I will be taking these down at the weekend. I'm really looking forward to taking down the Deep Cheese, her buds are absolutely rock hard! I'm hoping for 5oz at least from each of these as they're a little smaller than the lady i took down.
Ever new grower should see that skeleton. Thats what we all should aim for.

Day 61 Flower - And then there were 2​

The ladies are on a really mild feed at the moment, sitting pretty at:

PPM : 230
PH : 5.9

The PH is floating around, and the ladies have been telling me the EC is too strong so i've been topping up with a very weak nutrient solution. Tomorrow night I'm going to empty and replace with plain water, and start harvesting the day after. I been slowly driving the EC down for about 2 weeks, or rather, the ladies have, and i've been obliging. So i don't think a long flush is necessary. 24hours(48max) with some FlashKleen should be enough.

Here they are:

And here are some shots of the buds

Deep Cheese - no flash
Deep Cheese - with flash

Blue Kush - Flopping around all over the place

Ever new grower should see that skeleton. Thats what we all should aim for.
Thanks Bill :high-five: These girls stretched big time (The Blue Kush), really took me by surprise, they almost tripled in size during flower! That's why I was hell bent on flipping early in my other journal where I probably went too far the other way :laugh: ....Third run should be spot on haha

Day 64 Flower​

Last night i started to take down the Deep Cheese . The buds are rock hard. I managed to take down most of her and i left some lower growth to go another day to ripen and I'll take them down tomorrow with the final Blue Kush lady.

This is all that is left of the Deep Cheese that will be harvested tomorrow.

And here is the final Blue Kush who will also come down tomorrow.

I want the tent empty so i can seal it up and create my drying environment so i can regulate the humidity to slow dry. I want to try and drag the drying out for 7 days. It's really cold here so i doubt i'll be able to go more than 5, but we'll see.

You can't really see here, but i've pulled one side of the screen down so i can spread out the remaining Deep Cheese and the Blue Kush while i'm at it

But you can see here where I have tilted the light.

Back
Top Bottom