Gorilla Glue #4 Autos In Shambles From The Start

It’s been better then 30 days to get this far and a whirl wind of failures to get it to here. And at times I’ve just wanted to scream WTF is going on here. I purchased a Mars Hydro 2’x4’x70” tent with the SP3000 LED light.
I ordered 5 Gorilla Glue #4 seeds from a respectable online Canadian breeder. Mind you I have not set foot in a hydroponic grow store for 4 years. I haven’t popped seeds for probably 7 or 8 years.
The seeds shipped from a seed bank in California in a matter of just a few days. They arrived in Portland Oregon in about 24 hours and the set at an odd Post office another 3 days then tracking said delivering to destination. I live in a Portland suburb. 48 hours later the seeds show back at the Post Office in Los Angles. Set there another day then start the trip back to Oregon. 1st WTF! I get the seeds put two into a 24 hour soak then the paper towel method. 7 days nothing just a little cracking of the shell on one and at tiny brownish root protruding. Puzzling but I decide to put them under soil. 5 more days nothing so I soak 3 more seeds. 1 more cracks after a few days in the paper towel but looks a bad as the other one that has never come up. I plant that one now have 3 pots going out of 5 seeds and one plant that is coming up all wonky and a bit deformed.
I contact the seed bank tell them what’s going on they said it’s some bad beans and send me 5 more. I’m a little leery here and really don’t want the same breeder but they say they don’t exactly know which one they come from.
I soak 2 new seeds they both crack pretty fast in 2 days with nice long tap roots. I put those two into pots and the next day I have 3 starts in 2 pots. One of the early seeds I planted came up 10 days after its sibling and the same time as the 2 new ones. I now pull the oldest one out of the pot and put it in a solo cup till I get another large pot ready for it in a couple days. So I’ve been at the actual start of this for 14 wrenching days now.
5D2E8A13-7498-4442-87CE-30A0E5A13334.jpeg

What I actually have going here now is
Strain: 1 Gorilla Glue at 14 days and 3 GG’s at 3 days.
Tent: Mars Hydro 2’x4’x70”
Light: Veg & flower SP3000 LED & seeding a couple old CFL lights I used in the past.
Filtration: 4” carbon filter and inline duct fan
9” fan & 6” camp on desk fan
Pots: 5gal fabric
Mediums: EB Stones Edna’s best potting soil organic a good mix of perlite
Nutrients: Geoflora veg 5-3-4 and Geoflora bloom 3-5-5 also an Alaska fish emulsion 5-1-1
Pest control: fly and yellow sticky gnat trap paper
Temps: 69f - 80f humidit: 35-60

I had 2 seeds come up in one pot. Starting something new here. I only wanted to work with 2 plants now I have 4.
Ive never grown in a tent nor have I ever grown auto seeds in fact I’ve never grown fem seeds, only regular and clones. I’m totally out of my element and looking for help.

11CDEAD4-8662-4C03-B228-DD8B91C2E0EE.jpeg

5F7EEAE7-31B3-4363-946A-C40CB2961107.jpeg

I forgot to say these are Gorilla Glue auto flowers.
I have aggressively started some serious LST bending of #1 to keep it as low as possible in hopes the other 3 can be close in heigh.

Nice clean setup.
:passitleft:
Thank you CO Finest it isn‘t to difficult right now to keep looking good as everything is new, but I do like a clean sanitary setup for sure. I hope you keep an eye on this project as I‘m really inexperienced with tents and autos and advise is always appreciated.

I gave the #1 GG about 15mils of a 5-1-1 fish emulsion in a 1/2 gal of water yesterday and looking to start a top dressing feed with the Geoflora veg 5-3-4 tomorrow or Sunday. Geoflora says 1/2 cup or 4ozs every 2 weeks with a good watering. That is a full strength dose. My question is will that be an ok feeding for an auto flower plant. Any Help here would be very appreciated.

AFE78EAB-826F-4B11-BC8E-C37F16C41172.jpeg

I would watch it on the nutrients Auto's like a mild mix they can burn easy i wouldstart at 1/4 and work your way up its better to be low the locked out and your plant will not take anything in. A1 on the LST. im abou 12 days behind you.
Thank you bbcbggr I sure agree that I don’t want to over do the nutes on the autos and get behind or even worse cause irreparable damage. I wish I could find more info on the GF nutes with auto grows but it looks like I will have to wing it this time and go with a reduced feeding to be safe.
I I have 3 more that popped and come up in soil that are the same age as yours. I will give you a follow along. Thanks again.

If you feed going by the GF instructions, you won't burn your plant. Ideally the GF nutes would already be mixed into the soil before you even add a top dress 2 weeks later. Adding the fish emulsion may push your nitrogen to a really high level, but it won't be the GF.
I feed autos aggressively when using other nutes like MC, and have never had problems. I'm up to full strength by week 3.
GF aren't really the kind of nutes that are meant to be given at 1/4 strength. A full dose is given, then in 2 weeks another full dose etc...Your plant will take what it needs and leave the rest without lockout.

Don't be afraid of autos. It's a common misconception that they are somehow harder to grow or more sensitive. I find them to be the opposite of that.
What will actually happen if you start feeding light is that before the plant gets any real growth, it will already be flowering. Get it big, as fast as you can.

If you feed going by the GF instructions, you won't burn your plant. Ideally the GF nutes would already be mixed into the soil before you even add a top dress 2 weeks later. Adding the fish emulsion may push your nitrogen to a really high level, but it won't be the GF.
I feed autos aggressively when using other nutes like MC, and have never had problems. I'm up to full strength by week 3.
GF aren't really the kind of nutes that are meant to be given at 1/4 strength. A full dose is given, then in 2 weeks another full dose etc...Your plant will take what it needs and leave the rest without lockout.

Don't be afraid of autos. It's a common misconception that they are somehow harder to grow or more sensitive. I find them to be the opposite of that.
What will actually happen if you start feeding light is that before the plant gets any real growth, it will already be flowering. Get it big, as fast as you can.
Justin thank you so much for the advice. I’ve struggled finding much information on the autos with a GF nutrients grow.
I did not amend any GF into the soil before as the manufacturer suggested as I decided to use this brand after the fact. I also gave the fish Emulsion you might say as a warm up to the stronger nutes that will be supplied. I’m now hoping I didn’t over do much by giving the fish emulsion.
I‘m going to move forward with the manufacturers recommended schedule. Thanks!

Hey, Nev! I made it.

WTF, looks like you're of to a good start!

While I agree with Justin's advice in general, I think your current situation may require a reduce feed.

You've started those autos in the 5 gallon pots they will finish in. Right now, you probably should not be watering the entire soil surface but only around the perimeter of the plant, almost like it's still in a solo cup (where my autos would still be at this early age). I can't see putting 4 ozs. of GF in a solo cup, so I'm wary of you doing so with these babies that don't need much water yet.

Justin will respond, I'm sure, and he is one hell of a grower!

Hey, Nev! I made it.

WTF, looks like you're of to a good start!

While I agree with Justin's advice in general, I think your current situation may require a reduce feed.

You've started those autos in the 5 gallon pots they will finish in. Right now, you probably should not be watering the entire soil surface but only around the perimeter of the plant, almost like it's still in a solo cup (where my autos would still be at this early age). I can't see putting 4 ozs. of GF in a solo cup, so I'm wary of you doing so with these babies that don't need much water yet.

Justin will respond, I'm sure, and he is one hell of a grower!
Thanks for stopping by GDB. I really appreciate all the valuable advice I’ve received from you and @Justin Goody, @Carcass, and @Emilya. I’ve moved ahead full throttle and applied Geofloras recommended 1/2 cup of the GF veg and a little over a half gallon of water to the oldest 2 week old gorilla glue auto. I’m excited for tomorrow now to see the outcom.

EE45BD9D-7BDD-4B52-B3F2-5F24675D22D5.jpeg

75D83766-FE44-438B-A887-222BC1F71588.jpeg

My original plan was 2 plants to get myself comfortable with the auto flowers the tent, fabric bags and the Geoflora organic nutrients. All is new to me.
I have 4 plants going because I could only get 1 out of 5 to come up in the soil. The seed bank sent me 5 more and I started 2 they germinated I put them in soil they came up along with another seed that was from the original purchase. 10 days after the other came up.
the oldest one was deformed and missing leaves when it came up and the mate of 10 days later is major stunted. A funky batch of beans the 1st order.

02FC393A-618F-47E5-80B2-2E1368A2A1BE.jpeg

The 2 on the right were planted at the same time the one is a major runt.
the 2 on the left are from another batch and came up at the same time as the runt.
All are gorilla glue #4 and were germinated the same and then planted in the same soil.

It seems to me that all the pushing of the envelope on genetics the seeds are not as stable as they were in the past. Then maybe again, I may be under the influence.

F1D49AC5-CC3E-4C63-AC9F-783AD829DE7D.jpeg

nor have I ever grown auto seeds
Just nevermind that they're autos, and treat them the same as any other plant- but be aware that they're going to start flowering wheneverinthehell they feel like it, so, if you're going to train them, start it as early as possible.
Looks to me like you're off to a great start- and that's a good idea- planting them close to the edge of the pot if you're going to lst them- keeps them more "centered" in the pot after the training- I've often wondered why more folks don't do it that way...

Just nevermind that they're autos, and treat them the same as any other plant- but be aware that they're going to start flowering wheneverinthehell they feel like it, so, if you're going to train them, start it as early as possible.
Looks to me like you're off to a great start- and that's a good idea- planting them close to the edge of the pot if you're going to lst them- keeps them more "centered" in the pot after the training- I've often wondered why more folks don't do it that way...
I appreciate your eye for detail @Carcass. It’s such an important factor whether you’re trouble shooting, guiding or teaching. keep me moving forward I’m willing to listen to any and all input for improvement.

Good Monday evening. I had a great weekend seeing my grandchildren all at one time for the 1st time in more than a year. I couldn’t have been happier. I’ve been fully inoculated by Moderna for over a week now. :green_heart:

So for day 17 on the GG#4 in soil, she has put some very good growth on after the 1st feeding 2 days ago with a 1/2 cup of Geoflora veg. So realizing that is an incorrect suggested manufactures feeding so I’ve ordered a digital scale so I can get a proper measurement. Hahaha!
I tried to do a little LST today but she needs more growth for me to get at it.

The Mars Hydro SP3000 led is now running at about 75% and 24” above the soil in 2x4 tent
The temps are running 78f - 81f with the front opened about a 1/4
Humidity is running 35% door open up to 65% door closed.

The 3 seedlings are GG#4 and are 8 days now. The received an ounce or 30mils of water each today.
The one is a runt and was actually dropped in 20 hour soak then paper towel same time as the 17 day one.

Pictures are from Saturday and the 1st feeding and water on the top then update picture from today on the bottom.
Any suggestions or help would be very appreciated.

D44627B8-301C-496F-9A9D-2C4210984B36.jpeg

F41F3C5C-B006-474F-8E13-BCBDD4D31A00.jpeg

27F86663-4ED5-42A1-B1AE-200691DC6CC5.jpeg

C1C5D564-6220-4F38-AE48-794FF3A66D04.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom