vcgrower

420 Member
13113762-C7E7-4BB1-AB0C-304090D52D5B.jpeg
4E27ED6D-AA3E-4CF6-AF91-871DE95E7817.jpeg
BB21290B-584A-4BE7-8065-BEEFF75FC057.jpeg

This is my first grow, I am growing without a grow tent next to a window with sunlight coming through. I have a small supplemental LED light for cloudy days/nighttime.

These autoflowers have been growing since around December 20. Any advice?? Should I LST? Are these plants looking ok? Are they growing too slow?

(Yellow sticky pads for gnats due to a slight overwatering, gnats seem gone now)

@vcgrower , like you I sometime start some seeds too early in the year. Though I'm a Florida grower and grow outdoor so I may have an advantage over you due to our sunshine and warmth during the winter months.
Anyway, it may be your camera, but it looks like the leaves are somewhat too light of green in color.

They now have sufficient leaf growth, I'm seeing 4 or 5 sets of growth, that you could start feeding them, a light feeding at first of course.
If those beauties are exposed to sunlight all day (south elevation window) they will most likely live and produce, though probably not as much as an outside or grow light will produce. There are grow bulbs available that can be put in a shop light fixture if you want to give them that added ingredient.

Not sure it your grow qualifies for a journal, but you got my curiosity up and if you have time, how about sending pics every couple of weeks to show how they are doing.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

@vcgrower , like you I sometime start some seeds too early in the year. Though I'm a Florida grower and grow outdoor so I may have an advantage over you due to our sunshine and warmth during the winter months.
Anyway, it may be your camera, but it looks like the leaves are somewhat too light of green in color.

They now have sufficient leaf growth, I'm seeing 4 or 5 sets of growth, that you could start feeding them, a light feeding at first of course.
If those beauties are exposed to sunlight all day (south elevation window) they will most likely live and produce, though probably not as much as an outside or grow light will produce. There are grow bulbs available that can be put in a shop light fixture if you want to give them that added ingredient.

Not sure it your grow qualifies for a journal, but you got my curiosity up and if you have time, how about sending pics every couple of weeks to show how they are doing.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.
Hey thanks for the advice! I will see what I can do about the color, they are a little light in person as well.

I have taken pictures as the weeks progressed and will continue doing so. I will continue to photograph their development and post again. Hopefully with some more questions:)

Yeah a little hungry. But healthy looking. I wouldn't lst because the plant looks a little weak. But I'm sure others have. Be sure to control your waterings with property wet / dry cycle. Mosquito bits/dunks help with fungus gnats.
Hi, thanks for responding to the post:)

I had bought dry fertilizer and added some to my last watering… maybe the nutes haven’t absorbed into the soil? I think if I decide to grow again, it’s probably easier to get liquid nutes and just add it to the water…

I think I might give it another week and then start lst.

The gnat problem seems to be gone but I did buy mosquito bits for the larvae. Do you think I should still add the bits to the water for my next watering?

Hi, thanks for responding to the post:)

I had bought dry fertilizer and added some to my last watering… maybe the nutes haven’t absorbed into the soil? I think if I decide to grow again, it’s probably easier to get liquid nutes and just add it to the water…

I think I might give it another week and then start lst.

The gnat problem seems to be gone but I did buy mosquito bits for the larvae. Do you think I should still add the bits to the water for my next watering?
The mosquito bits should probably get used. There may still be gnat larvae in the soil eating the roots.
If you are going to Top it you need to do it soon. Flowering starts around day 21 with Auto's & too late to Top after that.
I remove the bottom 2 nodes & Top between the 4th & 5th node. Then LST little by little until the 4 remaining branches are out to the edge of the pot before letting it grow upwards.
This is my GG Auto I started Nov. 6th.
37.JPG
79.JPG
80.JPG
81.JPG

Hey 👋

Next watering I could use the mosquito bits to ensure the soil is safe from larvae.

Since this is my first time growing I do not think I will TOP plants. I don’t really know/ understand what it is and how to properly do it. Just LST for me, maybe once I get a couple of plants under my belt I can start experimenting with different methods:D

Dang! That plant is a monster!!

I don't grow autoflowers but none the less your plants look good. Reasonably healthy but a tad bit on the light green color to the leaves. That might just be because of the strain or it could be that more light, water or some nutrient mix is needed. Or, maybe the photo is a bit under or over exposed.

Yellow sticky pads for gnats due to a slight overwatering, gnats seem gone now)
I have not set up one of the glue cards in over a year. If I see a gnat I don't bother doing anything until I see a couple over a 2 to 3 day span. Then I get the bottle of Mosquito Bits and put a pinch on top of the soil in each pot. The next time the plants get watered the Mosquito Bits start to release the bacteria that will kill the gnat larvae that might still be in the soil.

No need to go through the steps of mixing the bits with the water. That is for when the Dunks are being used. Just a pinch of the bits for each container.

These autoflowers have been growing since around December 20. Any advice?? Should I LST? Are these plants looking ok? Are they growing too slow?
The timing of 21 days that @Buds Buddy mentioned is pretty much what other Autoflower growers have brought up. Since your plants have been growing since around the 20th of December you are at approx 24 days so it is possible that they will start to flower in the next several days to a week from now.

This is my first grow, I am growing without a grow tent next to a window with sunlight coming through. I have a small supplemental LED light for cloudy days/nighttime.
The plants are doing good so far which means that the lighting method is helping. Even a south facing window might not allow enough light through unless it is larger than usual. The glass can block some of the light, even more so if there is a storm window meaning more layers of glass. Any dust on the window will not help. Might be better to turn the light on every day whether it is cloudy or nighttime. That can give more light for photosynthesis and improve plant growth.

You have done well so far but it should help with tips and explanations of other growing procedure and training methods if you can get the chance to read all the autoflower threads you can.

It's all trial and error at first, you could construct a small grow box out of simple cheep insulation found at the home de-pot

20221111_055236.jpg
Ohhhh that’s looks really cool! I was looking at the prices of the grow tents and didn’t want to buy anything expensive but I could try this:)

Thanks for the idea!

I don't grow autoflowers but none the less your plants look good. Reasonably healthy but a tad bit on the light green color to the leaves. That might just be because of the strain or it could be that more light, water or some nutrient mix is needed. Or, maybe the photo is a bit under or over exposed.
Yea these are my first grow/auto grow so I’m trying to get as much info as I can. I think I’m going to adjust some things and see if it helps with the color. Hoping that they get a bit darker in color.
I have not set up one of the glue cards in over a year. If I see a gnat I don't bother doing anything until I see a couple over a 2 to 3 day span. Then I get the bottle of Mosquito Bits and put a pinch on top of the soil in each pot. The next time the plants get watered the Mosquito Bits start to release the bacteria that will kill the gnat larvae that might still be in the soil.
I had overwatered a little bit before the pictures were taken and had seen gnats in the soil that were jumping/flying around. I think drying the soil helped and the sticky pads were able to pick up a few gnats. The mosquito bits I have say to soak them in the water and then take out the pellets and use the treated water for watering.
No need to go through the steps of mixing the bits with the water. That is for when the Dunks are being used. Just a pinch of the bits for each container.

The timing of 21 days that @Buds Buddy mentioned is pretty much what other Autoflower growers have brought up. Since your plants have been growing since around the 20th of December you are at approx 24 days so it is possible that they will start to flower in the next several days to a week from now.
I hope that they grow a bit more then…. Since I have taken the picture they have developed more leaves/ leaf sites on the stem and stem has thickened.
The plants are doing good so far which means that the lighting method is helping. Even a south facing window might not allow enough light through unless it is larger than usual. The glass can block some of the light, even more so if there is a storm window meaning more layers of glass. Any dust on the window will not help. Might be better to turn the light on every day whether it is cloudy or nighttime. That can give more light for photosynthesis and improve plant growth.

You have done well so far but it should help with tips and explanations of other growing procedure and training methods if you can get the chance to read all the autoflower threads you can.
I think they are doing…. Fine too…. I just can’t stop thinking about what I can do to make them better haha maybe I’ll check out some of the journals and posts and see what’s up

Thanks for gr8 advice! :D

Your plant(s) look pretty good, albeit a little hungry and on the smaller size. Unfortunately as autos they’re going to go into flower in the next couple weeks. Just a couple quick tips for next time: Winter sunlight is weak and short, try to start saving for a decent light. Also, next time fill the pots to the top with soil.

13113762-C7E7-4BB1-AB0C-304090D52D5B.jpeg
4E27ED6D-AA3E-4CF6-AF91-871DE95E7817.jpeg
BB21290B-584A-4BE7-8065-BEEFF75FC057.jpeg

(Yellow sticky pads for gnats due to a slight overwatering, gnats seem gone now)
I would moisten existing medium and add medium, also moistened, at least to the cotyledons for support.

I had overwatered a little bit before the pictures were taken and had seen gnats in the soil that were jumping/flying around. I think drying the soil helped and the sticky pads were able to pick up a few gnats. The mosquito bits I have say to soak them in the water and then take out the pellets and use the treated water for watering.
Ah, yes. The first line of attack for grats is to dry out the growing medium as much as possible without harming the plant.

We have a bit of confusion on the Bits and Dunks. Reads like you are actually using the Dunks which are round donut shaped things. They are what is usually put into buckets of water. When I was using them I would break off small chunks to add to a bucket of water. I figure that the small pieces could be used for several buckets of water since just one of them is supposed to be able treat small ponds.

I was talking about the Bits which are particles of what looks like crushed corncob. The active ingredient is soaked in or sprayed on or whatever it takes. A pinch or two would be all that is needed to take care of a container of soil like you have. What is in front of the bottle would be enough for about 5 to 6 pots like you have.

Your plant(s) look pretty good, albeit a little hungry and on the smaller size. Unfortunately as autos they’re going to go into flower in the next couple weeks. Just a couple quick tips for next time: Winter sunlight is weak and short, try to start saving for a decent light. Also, next time fill the pots to the top with soil.
Yes they are do for a feeding again, I just wanted to wait until the gnat problem went away:)

I know but I was too eager and impulsive to wait haha I did save 2 more seeds so maybe I can try again on the summer! Do you think I could fill them now? I have left over soil/perlite. Or would that ruin the stem?

I would moisten existing medium and add medium, also moistened, at least to the cotyledons for support.
Yea I don’t know why I didn’t fill the pot to the top haha do you think adding soil now would damage the stem or anything like that?

Ah, yes. The first line of attack for grats is to dry out the growing medium as much as possible without harming the plant.

We have a bit of confusion on the Bits and Dunks. Reads like you are actually using the Dunks which are round donut shaped things. They are what is usually put into buckets of water. When I was using them I would break off small chunks to add to a bucket of water. I figure that the small pieces could be used for several buckets of water since just one of them is supposed to be able treat small ponds.

I was talking about the Bits which are particles of what looks like crushed corncob. The active ingredient is soaked in or sprayed on or whatever it takes. A pinch or two would be all that is needed to take care of a container of soil like you have. What is in front of the bottle would be enough for about 5 to 6 pots like you have.

Oh okay, I looked again and I have the smaller bits! So I’ll just sprinkle some over the soil!

I was going to add my dry nutes to the soil as well. Do you think adding both would be okay? Or should I do one or the other?

Hey @vcgrower and welcome to the forum! It looks like your plants are off to a good start. You're in good hands with all the members who have commented here. It will be cool to see more pics as your plants develop.

I know you're probably going for a bigger LED sometime, but here's one that's fairly inexpensive... SANSI grow light 24w or 36w full spectrum LED bulb, on Amazon. I've been happy with the 24w one for my clones.

happy growing! 🌱

Hey @vcgrower and welcome to the forum! It looks like your plants are off to a good start. You're in good hands with all the members who have commented here. It will be cool to see more pics as your plants develop.

I know you're probably going for a bigger LED sometime, but here's one that's fairly inexpensive... SANSI grow light 24w or 36w full spectrum LED bulb, on Amazon. I've been happy with the 24w one for my clones.

happy growing! 🌱
Hey thanks!

I took the advice and gave them more nutes and a little bit of water to help with some growth before flowering.

Those are great options that I have to look into! I had seen a spider farm grow light for around 70$ that I thought could help my plants and plants in the future. But I’ll have to go and look at others as well.

Yes they are do for a feeding again, I just wanted to wait until the gnat problem went away:)

I know but I was too eager and impulsive to wait haha I did save 2 more seeds so maybe I can try again on the summer! Do you think I could fill them now? I have left over soil/perlite. Or would that ruin the stem?
At this point I’d just leave them, but if you want to, don’t go an above the cotyledons.

Back
Top Bottom