Got a sec, need some advice

Vinny133

On the left we have Crop King Seeds Cali OG Kush Haze and on the right, Blimburn Seeds Granddaddy Purple (My persona fav). Both are in week 7 of flower and doing well. Both in coco, fed Gaia Green dry amendments and under 320 watt Crecer Lighting’s PanthrX Mini V1 as well as Solarcure UVB bulb for 1 hour per day… anyway, with that out of the way, I will get to my question. The Kush Haze is supposed to be Sativa dominant which tend to be spindlier and usually take longer to ripen. Well, under the microscope today I notice that it has the odd amber trich already and the pistils are looking orange. The GDP on the other hand, the flowers are much fatter, pistils are mostly white and no sign of amber trichomes. Wondering if any of you more experienced growers would consider chopping the Kush Haze early if the trichomes present more prominent even if flower period is shorter than expected?

2E4A80E1-4578-4680-8220-10E4B662C2DF.jpeg

I look at the pistils as an indicator of ripeness. When the bulk of the plant is covered with fresh fluffy pistils then it’s still packing on weight. When the pistils turn dark and crinkle up then you can still run longer but yes it’s time to scope trichs. Your canopy looks pretty even but on a tall plant I might do a staggered harvest. Take the tops when they look ready and let the mids & lowers ripen on for another week or three. I don’t have a ton of harvests myself but whatever you chop tag that batch with the date so later on you can compare early harvest versus late harvest from same plant. Just checking but you are viewing the trichs on calyxes and ignoring fan leaves - right?

mighty fine looking garden my friend!!!

I look at the pistils as an indicator of ripeness. When the bulk of the plant is covered with fresh fluffy pistils then it’s still packing on weight. When the pistils turn dark and crinkle up then you can still run longer but yes it’s time to scope trichs. Your canopy looks pretty even but on a tall plant I might do a staggered harvest. Take the tops when they look ready and let the mids & lowers ripen on for another week or three. I don’t have a ton of harvests myself but whatever you chop tag that batch with the date so later on you can compare early harvest versus late harvest from same plant. Just checking but you are viewing the trichs on calyxes and ignoring fan leaves - right?

mighty fine looking garden my friend!!!
That’s what I love about this site, always learn something new. When I saw the odd amber trichomes I didn’t notice if it was a sugar leaf or calyx. I will check. Honestly didn’t know it made a difference but judging by your comment, I guess it does. I did veg these for 8 weeks, a little longer than my usual as I had plants for a friend in my tent temporarily that were at an earlier stage. I Topped, LST’d, super cropped and lollypopped these and the canopy came out pretty flat with the exception of the odd branch after the “stretch”. The pic was taken at a funny angle so doesn’t do it justice. I will keep your suggestion about partial harvest in mind for sure.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes it does matter, the fan leaves & sugar leaves will ripen faster than calyxes. Yeah partial is not right for every plant but on a tall chick with multiple layers it’s good stuff to know and it kinda helps the plant to shed some load. You did real good job on training so there’s no benefit to staggered on this one but nice to know for future.

Looks tight, bet your place smells good & funky and you’ve prolly gone nose blind to it, wash your hands - do a stem rub and Hoover on that for a few minutes. Nice huh?

alright man - peace out!

Back
Top Bottom