Gov. Chris Christie: 'I'll Consider' Edible Medical Marijuana For Adults

The General

Gov. Chris Christie said Thursday he's willing to think about legalizing medical marijuana in edible form for patients above the age of 18. "If there becomes a large adult population that needs this type of edible (marijuana), I'll consider it," the New Jersey Republican said at a town hall in Sayreville. While some forms of medical marijuana were already legal, Christie signed a bill last year that allows dispensaries to sell edible marijuana - but only to minors who have the approval of both a psychiatrist and a physician. The governor said so far no one has presented the case that there's a large enough adult demand for edible marijuana. But if enough evidence is presented and the legislature sends him a bill, he said, "I'll sign it."

His answer came as a response to a question from Jennie Storms, a pediatric registered nurse who identifies herself as a cannabis advocate and activist. Her 14-year-old son suffers from a rare form of epilepsy known as Dravet Syndrome. Storms, whose story has previously been featured on CNN, said she's concerned that once her son turns 18, he won't be able to get marijuana treatment in the edible form that he needs, as he's unable to smoke. "Can you explain why? Why did you say minors only? There are disabled 24-year-olds with epilepsy who have a mental age of five," she said. "They can't eat. They can't smoke...Those on hospice with oxygen, if they smoke, if they vaporize, they'll blow themselves up."

Storms and Christie carried on a civil argument for 10 minutes, as she continued to press him on the subject. Questions about medical marijuana have become common at his weekly town halls the past few months. The governor, a staunch opponent of non-medicinal pot, warned he's not going to permit marijuana laws to get "bigger and bigger and bigger so that what slides through (are) people who are using it for recreational purposes, not truly medical purposes." At town halls, he frequently warns that expanded laws could lead to a "slippery slope" of legalized marijuana, like recently passed laws in Colorado and Washington State. "I'm not going to turn our state into a place for people to fly into to get high," he said.

Cannabis_Edibles.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com
Author: CNN's Ashley Killough and Steve Kastenbaum
Website: Christie: ?I?ll consider? edible medical marijuana for adults ? CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Back
Top Bottom