Grafting of multiple cannabis strains to a single root stock

marceline TWQ

420 Member
So i had this idea of using a hemp plant as a root stock and grafting multiple strains onto it instead of keeping multiple clones of different strains. Would this work? I know I could probably graft the multiple strains onto a single strain of cannabis but I was wondering if there would be any point in using a hemp plant as a "blank slate" rather then say grafting an AK47 and purple punch for example onto a white widow plant?

graft onto a plant that has a history of producing a monster root system and is resistant to soil pathogens and bugs.
I would think this would work great on hard to grow strains, like the mac. Mac is a slow growing strain and might take off if grafted onto a vigorous root system

This is a question that is right up @Light Addict 's alley, if he has the time to respond.

Grafting in general is quite an interesting subject. :)

Try to use fairly similar strains if possible. When I did it I found that each strain still retained its individual needs for the most part. So you want to use strains that have more or less the same feeding needs. For the plant above I used Panama as the rootstock, and it was a bit of a heavier feeder than the other two. Still close enough to work out ok, but in some other grafts I did with a half dozen strains and over a dozen grafts in one rootstock, the lighter feeders suffered.

graft onto a plant that has a history of producing a monster root system and is resistant to soil pathogens and bugs.
I would think this would work great on hard to grow strains, like the mac. Mac is a slow growing strain and might take off if grafted onto a vigorous root system
As mentioned above you want to select the most hardy root stock you have available. The purpose of a graft is having bigger stronger faster roots than you would with that plants normal growth.

Any suggestions of the best strain to serve as a root stock?

Back
Top Bottom