Grafting Sativa to tomatoes

gloman

:peace:hi everybody! i'm pretty new around here but i've been growing my own off and on for about 40 yrs
back in the 70's i did a bit of indoor growing and got in to dabbleing with cloneing, with some pretty good results.
where i live now, we don't have mmj approved yet but i'm out in the country in the middle of illinois.
my question, is this. i once was told that tomatoes are a sativa strain. and i was wondering if a person could succesfully graft some high grade weed to the tomatoe plant in an effort to discuise a little personal grow? GOHRILLA farming as it were.
has anybody heard of such a thing here?:thanks:

thanks for your intrest! i know i'm certainly intrigued by the idea. when i herd about this, i was told that the tomatoe part of the plant would remain tomatoe and the grafted weed part would remain weed.
if no one has any input for me on this to the contrary, i'm going to try it next season for sure, as i can't do any indoor gardening at all till illinois gets their heads out of their butts and passes the use and cultivation of medical marijuana.

It probably could be crossed with tomatoes. I read an article about a decade ago where a botanist in Florid I think it was crossed cannabis with oranges and it worked. He got into some trouble though. But it would be a great way to introduce edibles to the public.

I heard somewhere and have someone swearing they ate a tomato that had been pollinated with Marijuana pollen and it had produced thc. Anyone know if there is any truth to this or is it just a myth?

:circle-of-love:well, again, this is just what i was told many years ago, but i was told that the two plants would retain their original charictoristics. tomatoe would remain tomatoe and weed would remain weed.

now correct me if i'm wrong but if the two plants are fairly similer, wouldn't the real problem just getting a good graft?
maybe with enough tender loving care, proper technique, and some luck it seems to me that it would be possible.

there has to be some true EXPERT growers here that can shed a light on this.:420::peace:

relaxed,
please explain? is the tomatoe not in the sativa family?

hmmmm, good point general,
i have heard that before too. i guess what we really need here is a botonist.

excellent detective work buckshot!
the main point i was reaching for here though is the possibility of using the tomatoe as the predominant plant, thus sort of hideing the grafted on marijuana from unsuspecting eyes.
i live in a very redneck area of a very redneck state on a property that does not belong to me. granted, i'm in the boonies, however one can not be too careful, especially when i already have a felony record from minor posession of the medicine i need for my hep c and my diabetic neuropothy pain.

:peace:hi everybody! i'm pretty new around here but i've been growing my own off and on for about 40 yrs
back in the 70's i did a bit of indoor growing and got in to dabbleing with cloneing, with some pretty good results.
where i live now, we don't have mmj approved yet but i'm out in the country in the middle of illinois.
my question, is this. i once was told that tomatoes are a sativa strain. and i was wondering if a person could succesfully graft some high grade weed to the tomatoe plant in an effort to discuise a little personal grow? GOHRILLA farming as it were.
has anybody heard of such a thing here?:thanks:

Grafting MJ to Hops WAS indeed done. There's a fair amount of research on this too. In WWII, the US Army experimented with this in an effort to create a bomb that could be exploded in the atmosphere that would cause no physical (buildings, etc.) damage and would render the enemy powerless so that a complete take over was easily achieved. They did lots of research in many ares trying to come up with something that would work. I experimented with this in the mid 70's and I actually was successful getting a graft to take, but it took me something like 25 attempts and 24 failures over almost a year. The grafting of a Hops stalk on to the MJ root is what worked, both way were tried (me, Army and many more people). The Hops is somehow related to Cannabis but I'm not remembering exactly how. Anyway, the theory (at least my reason) was to grow a vine that looked like Hops but had the chemistry of MJ contained in it. I am sorry to say that it doesn't work, at least in terms of the production of THC or any other of the MJ's chemistry. I wish I had known the negative results before I attempted this, but back then, we didn't have the information available and these studies weren't disclosed until the Freedom of Information Act was passed. Too bad because it would be the bomb if it did. We could grow gardens disguised as Hops vines and few would be the wiser. Imagine the beer one could produce!
Welcome Central IL, I'm originally from Chicago, and yes, I agree, this state does have its' head up its' a$$ but there are some great people there. Illinois will probably be the LAST state to legalize MMJ.

I would say hops is possible. Tomatos seem too distant.

For a graft to work the plant must be similar in genetics and have somewhat of the same nutrient uptake.

After all its not like we can take a tiger paw and graft it to a human and expect it to work. however a chimp hand would be closer to possibilities and another humans hand would certainly be possible.

:circle-of-love:
well, i think we've come to the correct answer to this wishfull idea.:( unfortunately i have to go with the belief that it just wont work.
just let me say to everybody THANKYOU! for your input and help with research.
:thanks:
i am most grateful and humbled by all the willingness of everyone to help find the correct answers
:goodjob:
:peace:
:love:
and the greenest of dreams to all

:circle-of-love:well, again, this is just what i was told many years ago, but i was told that the two plants would retain their original charictoristics. tomatoe would remain tomatoe and weed would remain weed.

now correct me if i'm wrong but if the two plants are fairly similer, wouldn't the real problem just getting a good graft?
maybe with enough tender loving care, proper technique, and some luck it seems to me that it would be possible.

there has to be some true EXPERT growers here that can shed a light on this.:420::peace:
A lot of plants can be propagated by grafting. Its done all the time in fruit tree business. I've done it myself with apple trees. Its just a a matter of experimenting to see if you can get the technique down correctly. The problem with cannabis is that it stores most of its energy in the roots where as fruit trees will store a lot of energy in the vegetation during spring time. So separating the cannabis from its roots will make it very difficult to propagate. I imagine though that a plant biologist could probably figure out a way to do it.

I would say hops is possible. Tomatos seem too distant.

For a graft to work the plant must be similar in genetics and have somewhat of the same nutrient uptake.

After all its not like we can take a tiger paw and graft it to a human and expect it to work. however a chimp hand would be closer to possibilities and another humans hand would certainly be possible.
Tomatoes are supposed to very similar genetically to cannabis. I'm not a plant biologist so I really don't know. But I do believe its worth investigating.

Tomatoes are supposed to very similar genetically to cannabis. I'm not a plant biologist so I really don't know. But I do believe its worth investigating.

Its easily investigated, and proven wrong easily. Tomatos are in the Solanaceae family of plants, not even in the same family as Cannabis, which is Cannabaceae. However, since Hops is in the same family as Cannabis (Cannabaceae), it is theoretically possibile to create such a hybrid. It would be interesting to have that in a beer. If cannabis were legalized on a federal level, then it's possible this type of product would be on the market, along with packs of joints. However, since this medicinal plant is barred from study (atleast in the US), there are many things we do not know about its psychoactive developments.

All in all, forget trying to cross-breed oranges and tomatos with weed, its not going to happen.

Therefore, genetic difference would be too great to have a hybrid of these 2 plants.

Back
Top Bottom