420 Magazine Background

Grams Per Day: Determining Cannabis Yield Success by Weight

InTheShed

Member of the Year: 2018 - Member of the Month: Jan 2018, Nov 2018 - Grow Journal of the Month: Aug 2018 - Plant of the Month: Oct 2018
The problem with the original article is it's calling itself one thing and measuring another:
"Yield in grams ÷ number of lights ÷ days in flower = GPD average." That's not grams per day. That's grams per light per day. You can't just shorten shit and say it's the same thing! The "per" is the same as the ÷ and he leaves one out. He's calculating G/L/D. or GPLPD :).

Marzbadrock

Plant of the Month: Sept 2015 - Nug of the Month: Jan 2016, May 2018
Maybe I misunderstood. I was cooking dinner n corresponding here. How many days did you grow?

Marzbadrock

Ok so what am I missing here. Doesn't matter size of grow or how many watts.
Grams harvest ÷ grow days = gram per day ...... which don't mean shit!

Grams per day ÷ watts used = grams per watt per day .......good!

InTheShed

Member of the Year: 2018 - Member of the Month: Jan 2018, Nov 2018 - Grow Journal of the Month: Aug 2018 - Plant of the Month: Oct 2018

Marzbadrock

N I think quality is of upmost importance but figuring out what pulls most harvest per watt per day will just give you more quality goodness

BigBearNTexas

It’s grams per 1000 Watts per day of flower.

By standardizing the light input for the grow against a 1000w standard, it allows for a bit better curve for the numbers.

It’s probably also assuming photoperiods under 18/6 veg and 12/12 flower. It’s an industry standard, but it also doesn’t allow for variation in light schedule in terms of calculation.

Instead of days in flower, you could multiply your days in flower by .5 to calculate for effectiveness of the yield of a 12/12 grow against a 11/13 grow (.46).

Last edited:

gr865

I think quality or perceived quality has to come in to make it valuable as a KPI somehow.
Quality or perceived quality is really unimportant for the hobby grower. I grow for my medication and recreation, so whatever I grow is a gift. I would be spending $1000's on buying both cannabis for making my medicine and for the amt I smoke. So whatever I grow is great, some grows are just better than others.
KPI is for those in the cannabis biz, I like the comparison between hobby growers. When someone grows more that me in the same arena I would like to know what they are doing that I am not.

I do agree with your premise though.

Marzbadrock

Please explain how my equation is wrong, I used Riders formula. You have eliminate part of the formula.

24.5 oz = 686 grams
2 x 315W = 630W (630W / 1000W = 0.63)
so,
weight in grams / watts/1000W / days of growth = grams/day
686 grams / .63/1000W / 63 days

That is the formula Rider used,

Again, how can you eliminate the wattage used? You are just saying total grams divided days of flower. If I used 1000 watts, I am sure I would of had a larger harvest. Wattage is the part of the equation that allow one to compare one's grow against another.
So if he grew for 63 days. Got 17 grams a day. That does not equal 686 grams!

TheMadDabber

Member of the Month: Dec 2017 - Nug of the Month: June 2018
Subbed I'm going to go back and re read.

I'm. It sure if it's the same dude but they have an entire calculator on how much yo grow to keep a steady supply. You enter everything from grow experience, to wattage, to time.... pretty neat!

Marzbadrock

I know I'm not! But your saying you got over 17 grams a day right? And you grew for 63 days right? So if you grew 63 days and got 17 grams a day you would have harvested 1,071 grams.

Marzbadrock

If you used a 1000w you WOULD have averaged 17 grams a day. But your not n you didnt. You got 10.6 grams per day.
10.6 × 63 days = your harvest

InTheShed

Marzbadrock

K if we go by per light the it'd be 5.3 grams per day per light. Or 10.6 for 2. But no matter how you cut it it is not 17 grams a day.

Top Bottom