Grand Daddy Purple Clones Start To Finish!

Photo Update!
GDP #3 Back On Deck - GDP #2 Frosting Up Nicely!!

Now that the two original BBK plants have been harvested, I finally had enough room on our back deck to move GDP #3 off the back hill and up to the house where she will be less likely to pick up any Powdery Mildew from the forest. It will also be a heck of a lot easier to check her trichomes etc. when the time comes.

Here she is in her new location!

P1011542.JPG

This plant has been flowering naturally under our slowly descreasing daylight hours. Based on the flower top appearance, she looks like an indoor flowered plant at about Week 2

P1011560.JPG
P1011558.JPG

Another shot of the GDP "BUSH"

P1011543.JPG

I'm hoping to get at least 6 ounches of quality dried/cured GDP bud from this one plant if all goes well! Maybe even more if we are lucky!

GDP #2 Getting Frostier

Under the 10x Loupe, the trichomes are looking really good and the ratio is staying about the same. The purple pigment in the trichome stalks appear to be continuing to increase, so I plan to run another microscope session on this plant in the next day or two.

P1011551.JPG
P1011550.JPG

That's all for now! I'm off to update my main grow journal with some shots of all the strains that have kind of gotten lost in all the excitement of our recent harvests.

Link is in my sig! See ya next time! :thumb:

GDP #2 Turning Purple!:cheer::yahoo:
All she needed were those overnight lows in the 50s!

Our heatwave broke a couple of days ago and our overnight lows returned to the low to mid 50s. And just like Ken Estes said, those cool overnight lows were all GDP #2 needed to start turning purple FAST! She will be at Week 8 this Saturday, so things are starting to look favorable for a harvest this weekend! :yummy:

Check her out!

P1011570.JPG
P1011573.JPG
P1011571.JPG
P1011572.JPG

We all knew that this was likely coming after seeing all that purple pigment in the trichomes, but I wasn't expecting the transformation to happen so fast. Just three days ago before the temps started falling back to normal, she had no outwardly visible signs of a color change. Only under the microscope could we see that something "purple" was going on. ;)

So... Looks like when it comes to the "Genuine" GDP strain, the overnight low temps are KEY to getting the color change to take place.

Looks like I won't be needing that Purple Maxx after all! :high-five::woohoo:

GDP #2 Update - Week 8
Plant and Trichome Images Taken on 09/03/11

She is looking great and I am very tempted to harvest her based on the latest Trichome images. Going to give her a couple of more days, but I don't think I am going to wait as late as week 9. Don't want the THC to degrade too far into and over abundance of CBDs and CBNs.

GDP #2 - 09/03/11

This closeup flash image really shows off her purple hues

P1011602.JPG

Natural light photos don't POP the purple as much, but these don't really show the purple accurately. In person the color is somewhere in between the flash and the non-flash images here.

P1011603.JPG
P1011604.JPG
P1011611.JPG

The lower portion of the plant is still primarily green, althoug there are hints of purple beginning to emerge. right now it is a race between the color change and the optimum harvest time which if this was any other plant, would be today!

P1011606.JPG

GDP #2 Trichome Images - 09/03/11

You can see the high percentage of amber trichomes in these main cola leaf tip samples. I am also seeing a lot of trichome stalks without the trichome "ball" on the end, which is another indication of increasing THC degradation.

This first image is the tip of the leaf tip showing some young trichome stalks still not fully developed alongside amber trichomes that are degrading into CBDs and CBNs

GDPA.JPG

Notice how purple the background leaf color has become since our last set of microscopic images!

GDPB.JPG
GDPC.JPG
GDPI.JPG
GDPF.JPG

These samples were all taken from two leaf tip samples on the main cola. When viewed using my 10x loupe, I can see a lot more cloudy and clear trichomes in the inner areas of the flower top. The secondary colas are a little less ripe than these images.

GDPG.JPG
GDPE.JPG
GDPH.JPG
GDPJ1.JPG
GDPK.JPG

And last but not least... Here is the latest photo of our four GDP clones now back in veg mode and growing at a very respectable rate!

P1011612.JPG

looks about time to harvest with all them ambers!!!

:peacetwo:

Hi Astonr!

Under normal circumstances I would have already harvested this plant, but as you know, I am trying to see how purple the plant will get if left to ripen a little longer than normal. A lot of GDP growers wait until week 9 or 10 in order to develop a more pronounced purple in the buds. Now I can see why they do that, since the plant doesn't really start turning until a few days before week 8.

I'm going to have a close look over the entire plant tomorrow morning with my 10x loupe and see what kind of ratio I am seeing overall. As I mentioned in the update, the leaf tips I used for the microscope samples were off the very tip of the main cola which generally ripens before any of the secondary buds. When I did a full scan of the plant this morning, the number of amber trichomes over the entire plant was not as high as what you are seeing in the scope photos.

Today is week 8 on the nose, so we are definitely in the ball park of harvest time. My plan tomorrow is to take a few tip samples from the secondary buds and put them under the scope for comparison. I'll go ahead and post them here for you and everyone else to check out too! :)

I expect that I will be harvesting this plant by Wednesday at the latest based on the current samples we have already inspected.

Stay tuned for another update in the morning! :thumb:

See ya then! :Namaste:

HARVEST!
Ripe and Ready!

After checking the lower buds with my 10x BeLOMO Triplet Loupe, as well as inspecting a leaf tip sample from the same area under the microscope, I decided that the time had come to harvest GDP #2!

GDP#2 Lower Bud Trichome Images - 09/04/11

GDPA1.JPG
GDPB1.JPG
GDP1C.JPG
GDPD1.JPG

The Harvest!
A few full plant and cola photos before the chop!

P1011628.JPG
P1011631.JPG
P1011616.JPG

Lower Bud Photos

P1011623.JPG
P1011625.JPG

THE CHOP!
Untrimmed Wet Weight 9.50 ounces

P1011633.JPG
P1011634.JPG
P1011636.JPG
P1011639.JPG

I decided to keep the main cola and stalk intact since it wasn't that big. After trimming off all the fan leaves, the main cola/stalk weighed in at 4.30 ounces! :thumb: :)

P1011649.JPG

The one thing I can't share with you is that wonderful and "unique" GDP Aroma! Genuine GDP has a distinctive smell that no other strain can quite duplicate. Those of you out there who have grown or are growing the real article know exactly what I am referring to! Once you have that scent in your memory, you can always tell the real GDP bud from the posers. ;)

:circle-of-love:

After trimming up the main stalk for this photo, the entire front room of our house is filled with that lovely, pleasant bouqet! :yummy:

So... Now we are on to drying and curing! I will be back in a week or two to share some dried GDP bud shots.

See ya then! :Namaste:

dude!!! excellent harvest!!! those buds look oh so :yummy:!!!

what drying method are you going to use???

:peacetwo:

Thanks Man! :thumb: :Namaste:

I trim them up and just hang them upside down in a dark closet with a fan set to low for about 3 days until they start feeling crispy on the outside, then I transfer them to 1 quart glass jars. I pop the lids once or twice a day for about 20 minutes each time to let the humidity out. I do that for about a week, and then slowly decrease the frequency of opening the jars. I cure like this for about 4 weeks or so minimum. I try to cure the buds for at least 4 weeks before I sample them.

Here is a photo of my BBK harvest curing in jars:

P1011601.JPG

I cured my Blue Cheese bud for about 5 weeks and that was just about perfect for that harvest. :)

GDP Grow Update
GDP #1 is SICK • Her Decendants are Looking Great!

Over the last few weeks, this original GDP clone has developed a curious leaf condition that hasn't responded to any treatments.

P1011676.JPG
P1011677.JPG

We suspected various deficiencies, primarily focusing on Manganese and Potassium, but so far, the plant has refused to respond to any of the various remedies for these deficiencies

P1011678.JPG

The last resort was to transplant this fully mature plant out of its 10 gallon pot and into a 25 gallon pot filled with fresh 50/50 mix of Happy Frog and FoxFarm Ocean Forest potting soil.

P1011684.JPG

After transplanting, the plant was sprayed with a 50% dose of Kelp Extract to hopefuly foliar feed the plant with what appears to be a lack of Potassium

The IN SOIL pH is looking perfect at 6.8.

P1011685.JPG

Meanwhile, her daughters couldn't be doing better!

All the GDP clones are now well into a full veg cycle and starting to put on the inches! We brought all of our indoor grow outside this morning to soak up some late summer rays while they still can! We may have to transplant these four clones into 2.5 gallon pots before the end of the month

P1011687.JPG
P1011688.JPG

That's all for now! :ciao:

We will be back soon with the latest news on GDP #1 just as soon as we start seeing some changes. Hopefully those changes are for the better! :thumb:

:thanks:

Shit is looking particularly tasty there goose... sorry to see the original not doing so well. I was going to suggest looking to see if she was bound but it seems you are already on that... sweet!

I'm such a fan of the great outdoors... good job!

Shit is looking particularly tasty there goose... sorry to see the original not doing so well. I was going to suggest looking to see if she was bound but it seems you are already on that... sweet!

I'm such a fan of the great outdoors... good job!

Thanks Captain! :thumb:

I'm a firm believer in outdoor growing too! Even the most expensive and powerful indoor lighting products can't compare to what the sun can give anyone for FREE! :yahoo:

It is always despressing for me in the fall when I have to return to indoor only growing, mainly to overwinter my various mother plants and such until the following spring. The plan this year is to turn my flowering room back over to veg mode and use that to veg more mothers for next year. I also have to overwinter a few of my Jalapeno pepper plants to keep them producing through the winter. It was my indoor light fixtures I originally purchased for overwintering my peppers that I later started using year round for my Cannabis grows! :)

I generally don't do much but veg the plants during the winter preferring to wait till Spring to start the first flower cycle and finish them outdoors after the threat of frost has past and while the natural daylight cycles are still short enough to maintain Cannabis flowering outdoors for their last few weeks before harvesting them.

Thanks as always for checking in and feel free to drop in and comment anytime! :)

GDP Bud Photos!
GDP #2 Main Cola Entered in "Nug of the Month"

We ended up with just over 1 oz of dried bud from the harvest of GDP #2.

P1011726.JPG

Here is a closeup flash photo of the main cola bud from GDP #2. The bud has a very pleasant smell to it, is sticky to the touch and has an awesome multi-colored appearance than runs the whole gamut of colors ranging from light green, to red, orange and of course, the trademark purple most noticeable on the stem.

I've entered this bud in the "Nug of the Month" contest, and I welcome your vote! :thumb:

P1011729.JPG
P1011728.JPG

Unfortunately, the lower buds do not have as much purple in them as the top part of the plant does, most likely due to the fact that we were forced to harvest this before the plant made a full color change.

I'm hoping that when GDP #1 and #3 are in the last stages of flowering, our overnight low temps will stay consistently cool enough to really bring out the purple pigment down the entire plant.

GDP #1 Health Update

The plant is hanging in there, but it does appear that her growth has been slowed considerably due to the nutrition problems we reported on last week. I don't have any recent photos to share at this time, but I plan to update my main journal later this weekend with photos of all the plants on the back hill, so I will try to get a couple of shots of both remaining original GDP plants then.

Stay tuned! :)

GDP Photo Update

Here are some recent photos of our various GDP clones.

GDP #1

As you recall, this plant had been suffering from some odd problems that we all concluded had something to do with the soil becomming sour. We transplanted from the original 10 gallon pot into a 25 gallon pot in hopes tat this would help return the plant to full health. While it did help to some degree, unfortunately GDP #1 just isn't thriving like it had been before this all started.

We are hoping that we can still get a somewhat decent harvest out of her when the time comes.

P1011852.JPG
P1011856.JPG
P1011857.JPG
P10118551.JPG

P1011795.JPG

GDP #3

Meanwhile, the third plant of our original three clones is doing very well. However, we are noticing that the shape of the leaves in the flower tops is not as tight as GDP 1 and 2. Starting to suspect that this plant is NOT GDP, and could be something like God Bud, which has the same flower top look.

Guess we will find out for sure in a few weeks as the plants enter into their 5 and 6th weeks respectively and with our lower overnight lows, should cause them to start showing purple hues!

P1011858.JPG

P1011850.JPG
P10118461.JPG

Here is a shot of GDP 1 and 3 together. GDP #1 is in the foreground

P10118511.JPG

GDP Clones 4-7 happily vegging under 20/4

These four plants will be our primary source of new cuttings for our 2012 growing season. The plan is to simply keep them vegging through the winter and start taking cuttings in March.

p1011836.JPG
p1011837.JPG

GDP #2 Back from the Brink and Headed for Bonsai Land!

We have rescued what is left of GDP #2 from the compost heap and have decided instead to Bonsai this plant as soon as she starts producing new growth. (thanks and kudos to Mr. Kripp for the inspiration to Bonsai GDP #2!) We see her here on the left end of our veg closet with one of our two Blue Cheese clones in the foreground.

P1011839.JPG

Thats all for now folks! :thanks:

I welcome you comments!

Back
Top Bottom