Grand Jury Indicts Accused Marijuana Farmers

qWERTY

A Blaine County grand jury has indicted two Heyburn men on felony drug charges for allegedly growing marijuana near Carey.

Eduardo Mariscal-Castellon, 30, and Leobardo Vega, 31, were arraigned Monday in Blaine County 5th District Court. The indictment charges them each with one count of trafficking in marijuana and one count of failure to affix drug tax stamps.

The two men were arrested on Sept. 4 when the Blaine County Sheriff's Office raided a marijuana growing operation near Little Wood Reservoir north of Carey. Officers confiscated some 2,000 4- to 6-feet tall marijuana plants and burned most of them on at the Ohio Gulch Transfer Station north of Hailey.

The grand jury indictment replaces a criminal complaint on the same charges filed earlier by the Blaine County Prosecuting Attorney's Office.

Jury trial for both men was scheduled for Dec. 6. Mariscal-Castellon is represented by public defender Cheri Hicks and Vega is represented by Burley attorney A. Elizabeth Burr-Jones.

Both men were being held in the Blaine County Jail Tuesday–Mariscal-Castellon on $60,000 bond and Vega on $50,000 bond. Vega, who was released earlier this month after posting an earlier smaller bail amount, was re-arrested on Friday by Minidoka County officers.

Meanwhile, Blaine County 5th District Court Judge Robert Elgee has removed himself from the case at the request of Prosecuting Attorney Jim Thomas, who was not required to state a reason in a "motion to disqualify without cause" filed last week. Fifth District Court Judge Barry Wood will now hear the case.

In a separate court case, Mariscal-Castellon and Vega are also charged with two counts each of grand theft by possession of stolen property for allegedly possessing a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder that the sheriff's office said was stolen from Pasco, Wash.

NewsHawk: _qWERTY - 420 Magazine
Source: MtExpress.com (Idaho)
Pubdate: Wednesday, October 4, 2006
Copyright: 2006 Express Publishing Inc.
Website: Idaho Mountain Express: Wednesday - February 28, 2007

Almost every pot bust that I read about on the net mentions failure to affix a drug tax stamp.Is that part of the original law outlawing herb earlier last century??It sounds like a way to add just one more charge to the list when they catch these viscious crinimals in the act of subverting our squeaky clean society to their evil marijuana farming ways..Sooo,where do we go to apply for these drug tax stamps..... 8\
It'd be kinda cool to send a letter to my Mom with one.:laughtwo:

Sooo,where do we go to apply for these drug tax stamps..... 8\
It'd be kinda cool to send a letter to my Mom with one.

LOL...me too!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom