Grandaddy Purple Dream Journal, in 5 minutes

TheCapn

Hey gang, I know you don't need to see another journal from me. Weekly updates can get boring. But I wanted to share this grow with you because I've found an exceptional Pheno. If I could gift a clone to all my friends here, I would do it in a second. So I've decided to do a 4 month journal in 5 minutes. Enjoy.

Strain = Grandaddy Purple Dream
Light = 600W Apollo HPS Bulb
Grow Method = Capn Style
Nutrients:
VEG = General hydroponics Grow, Micro, Bloom, plus florablend (4ml/gal) and calimagic (3ml/gal)
FLOWER = Advanced Nutrients Connoisseur, plus BigBud, Bud Candy, and B52 + Rock Nutrients resinator, plus florablend (3ml/gal) and calimagic (4ml/gal)
Beneficial Bacteria = Heisenberg tea, weekly

This strain is Grandaddypurple male X Blue Dream female. They released a couple hundred seeds, and then decided not to continue creating this cross. (GDP, feel free to clarify here) I had placed an order from "Attitude" last year, and I got two freebee "Purple Dream" seeds. For the scope of this journal, I'm going to focus on ONE of the two phenotypes.

IMPORTANT NOTE TO ALL:
As you can see in the vegetative picture below, both plants are pretty similar. When I went to flower, Pheno #1 (not the one in this journal) DOMINATED pheno #2. #1 BLEW up! It was amazing. 3 weeks into flower, I told myself I wouldn't grow #2 again because it was so slow in flower.

I was WAY wrong. #1 blew up, because it is more like Blue dream, which is sativa-ish. It stretched like crazy and has much bigger colas on it. But Pheno #2.... turned out to be incredible. Frostiest thing I've grown. Perfect bud size. And best of all, it was done and 8 weeks, amber trics and all! Luckily, I had take a clone of each.

Germinating seeds:
On April 20th I started the two Purple Dreams in a wet paper towel, in a baggie, and set it on my internet router to keep them warm. In 48 hours I had tails and set them down into 2" rockwool blocks. Then into a small pot of grodan rockwool grow cubes.
Here's how I do it:
Fastest and most successful way to Germinate Seeds - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®
seeds91.jpg

Vegetative Growth:
General hydroponics Grow, Micro, Bloom, plus florablend (4ml/gal) and calimagic (3ml/gal)
Every time I mix up nutrients, I start with:
4ml/gal cal mag
4ml/gal flora blend
1ml/gal dutch master silica (not on freshly rooted clones or seedlings)
below, where I say "parts", I mean a ratio. For me, one "part" is about 5ml. After mixing, I'll add plain water or more of the G, M, B of the proper ratio to dial in the PPM.

For veg I use:
3ml/gal cal mag
4ml/gal flora blend
3 parts grow
2 parts micro
1 part bloom
Then adjust to 300-500 ppm
More on my nutrient recipe here:
How to: Fast vegetative growth - Nutrient Recipe - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®
PurpleDream1.jpg
PurpleDream2.jpg

Sexing plants:
30 days later I started to see the beginnings of pre flowers. In case you didn't know, here is a good way to "predict" the sex of your plant. Look for the start of the calyx like you see circled in the picture. Both males and females will have something growing here (females usually start first). If it is very pointed as you see the picture, it is probably a female. Males are more blunt.

PointyFemale31.jpg

It's a girl! I got lucky. Both specimens were girls.
pistil7.jpg

Read more on sexing plants here:
How to predict the sex of your cannabis plant. Pre-flowers. - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Time for flower! Let's set up a CapnStyle flowering machine:
We use a $20 Brute tote. It holds 15 gallons and only raises the plant 12" off the floor. I use a separate reservoir for each plant. Each plant is a "harvest". Typically I only do one pounders, but when I start a new strain, I flower it sooner, in case I'm wasting my time. I wish I would have waited longer.

CapnStyle4.jpg
CapnStyle5.jpg
CapnStyle10.jpg

Scrog it!
This is a little creation I've been doing for about a year now. It keeps the under side free of vertical PVC supports and allows me to adjust the scrog height as needed. In addition, I can slowly lower the scrog down on the plant, so I don't hurt it.
PDSCROG.jpg

Flowering Growth:
I bought some Advanced Nutrients in the beginning of 2014, PH Perfect, Connoisseur. I liked the "Sound" of PH Perfect. Well, it's not perfect at all. It's not even close. It doesn't behave any different than Dutchmaster or General Hydroponics. My RO water is 6.8 and after adding ONLY the part A and B Connoisseur, the PH goes to 5.2. After my A.N. is gone I won't buy any more. I bought the entire line (with the exception of *zyme and their beneficials), including overdrive, bud factor, and nirvana. I don't see any change is growth rates or bud size / density. So I'm not going to go into detail for my flowering recipe. I will say though... the Purple dream is nutrient sensitive. I started getting dehydrated leaf tips only at 900ppm. Instead of using overdrive, I used Rock Nutrients Resinator in the last 3 weeks. This is the first plant I've used it on, so I can't comment on it yet.

singletop.jpg

overhead4.jpg
beforechop1.jpg

Harvest:
This is the sickest stuff I've ever grown, period. No question. Here are a couple pictures right after the chop.
3colas1.jpg
PDHarvest.jpg
dried.jpg

Gorilla glue competition?
NO, these were not "photo-shopped"! Most of these pictures were taken with my cell phone.
One picture with the flash on:
dried3.jpg

And a few pictures with no flash:
dried5.jpg
dried4.jpg
dried2.jpg

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two of my favorite strains, bred together and the one person on this earth who NEEDED to get those seeds, did!!!!! Phenomenal pull Capn!!!!! I can't believe those colors and the frostiness!!!!!!!!

Did you end up maxing out your ppms at 900?? That's kinda crazy, since I've heard of many strains that do well over 1200ppm!!!! And the size of it is amazing!!!!! How much longer do you think you would have vegged it, if you could do it again??

Awesome. Really like the change to the scrog. I'm doing my first grow followng your style and took you a bit too seriously when you said to veg long. My six plants, now in flower, have totally overgrown my expectations. Will be at least six feet tall before they are done so an adjustable setup would be perfect!

Awesome. Really like the change to the scrog. I'm doing my first grow followng your style and took you a bit too seriously when you said to veg long. My six plants, now in flower, have totally overgrown my expectations. Will be at least six feet tall before they are done so an adjustable setup would be perfect!

Happens to us all first grow my first one the my ladys were stuffed in there

Now this is a journal! I've always been one that actually enjoys spoiler alerts on a show or movie, and I'd still enjoy it knowing what was gonna happen. Subbing to people's journals sometimes drags out and keeps the suspense high until now. Finally got to enjoy an entire grow before work in the AM, how friggin awesome is that? Not to mention that those are w/o a doubt the frostiest nuggets I ever viewed/seen! If I were to find something like that in the street, I'd swear the nugz were dipped in sugar to increase bag appeal! Me thinks you and the missus will be red eyed quite frequently. BTW, did you smoke some yet? I bet the flavors on the palate are deep and sweet.

Good news Cap! Moving tomorrow and will likely try another shot in the sky cave within a week. Journal soon to come!

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Two of my favorite strains, bred together and the one person on this earth who NEEDED to get those seeds, did!!!!! Phenomenal pull Capn!!!!! I can't believe those colors and the frostiness!!!!!!!!

Did you end up maxing out your ppms at 900?? That's kinda crazy, since I've heard of many strains that do well over 1200ppm!!!! And the size of it is amazing!!!!! How much longer do you think you would have vegged it, if you could do it again??

Thanks twizzle. Yeah it may have crept up into the 950 range, but no higher. Next round, I'll keep it under 800 and maybe the leaves will stay more pretty.

Top and bend, my friend.

Now this is a journal! I've always been one that actually enjoys spoiler alerts on a show or movie, and I'd still enjoy it knowing what was gonna happen. Subbing to people's journals sometimes drags out and keeps the suspense high until now. Finally got to enjoy an entire grow before work in the AM, how friggin awesome is that? Not to mention that those are w/o a doubt the frostiest nuggets I ever viewed/seen! If I were to find something like that in the street, I'd swear the nugz were dipped in sugar to increase bag appeal! Me thinks you and the missus will be red eyed quite frequently. BTW, did you smoke some yet? I bet the flavors on the palate are deep and sweet.

Good news Cap! Moving tomorrow and will likely try another shot in the sky cave within a week. Journal soon to come!

Thanks for stopping in and glad you enjoyed it, Sky. I know what you mean; some of the popular guys around here have 10 pages of chit chat before you even see a seedling. lol. I'm not that social. :rofl:

The miss and I did try a sample; it was only dried for 5 days at the time, but still very smooth. It had a rich flavor and a punch that was like a lower epidural. My legs were heavy and up top I was tingling. I'm sure it will be even better in a week. When I flushed, I took the PPM down to about 50ppm and let it go for 5 days, so it would be nice and clean. Another benefit to capn style, after 4-5 days of flushing you will see leaves start turning yellow and then you know it's clear. I have a connoisseur-ish type buddy I gave a sample to last night. He freaked out when he saw it. At first glance it almost looks like they are covered in white mold.

Sky cave, will that be the same place you were building last time? Anyway, please make a journal of your build, and invite me to it.

Almost forgot... Here is a preview of the other Purple Dream Pheno. Going to be a nice haul for sure. If it turns out to be anything special, I'll let you guys know. Pretty sure it will be very much like Blue Dream. Can't argue with that except it could take 10 weeks.

PD1.jpg

Wow. If God's a grower that must be the strain he grows :adore:
Cap'n you should do more grows in this format. Quick, no fillers and to the point.
BTW, what was the dry weight?

Wow. If God's a grower that must be the strain he grows :adore:
Cap'n you should do more grows in this format. Quick, no fillers and to the point.
BTW, what was the dry weight?

Thanks for checking out my grow, everyone, and for the kind words.

HT, This pheno started out kind of slow, and I didn't want to put too much time into it until I knew it was going to be a good one. I have one spot in flower where I can only fit a 2 x 3 SCROG, so this one filled that spot. My goal is always at least a zip / sq ft, and this produced 7.5 zips. Of course, I'm kicking myself for not going big with it. But so often I put so much energy into a strain, only to be disappointed.

Honestly, starting new strains is a crap shoot. Yeah, it's ALL good, but it's not ALL great. My advice: always take a clone, even if it is slow in veg and you don't think it will amount to much. It may surprise you. And if it doesn't, move on.

Almost forgot... Here is a preview of the other Purple Dream Pheno. Going to be a nice haul for sure. If it turns out to be anything special, I'll let you guys know. Pretty sure it will be very much like Blue Dream. Can't argue with that except it could take 10 weeks.

If my BD puts on weight anything like that I'm going to flip out. :yikes:....I'm all over your threads like mites on chlorophyll!

Hey Cap, diggin your journals here! Great threads.

Question: Are you still unimpressed with the AN connesiour?
(considering you just grew your stickiest nugs ever on it)

:)

damn super nice nugs!!! WOW!! super job Capn:bigtoke:

Back
Top Bottom