Grandpa Gets Oily! Everclear Extracts For Shatter Or Oil!

Hello everyone! Grandpa’s making some killer oils and I want to share the process I go through. The goal with this particular batch is to get the best I can from the material I’m using. I’m in search of trichome heads and as little green (Chlorophyll) as possible.

We want the Everclear to do its job and extract the best of the best. For the first batch, this means no shaking and just swirling the material slightly in the alcohol. This will extract more THC, terps, and goodies the plant has to offer.

With that in mind, let’s make some shatter!

*Warning! This process is extremely dangerous if you don’t take care. I am doing this in a large shop with 12 foot ceilings. I make sure there is adequate cross ventilation by keeping a window and a door open to the outside, and a small fan blowing to help circulate to the outside. This is key to not blowing your ass up! You must also ensure there are no open flames...PERIOD! Alcohol fumes are extremely volatile. Be careful damn it! I will not be responsible for you blowing your house up.

Here’s a list of the components that will be used with current US dollar prices at Amazon:

1. I use this griddle, but there are other less expensive options, $30.94: Toastmaster TM-201GR Griddle, 10 x 20", Black
51bkmtyzMJL_SL1000_.jpg

2. Pyrex dish, $11.09: Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish, Clear 8.9 Inch X 13.2 Inch - 3 Qt
61C6eOuU69L_SL1500_.jpg

3. Cake pan, I don’t know where I got mine, but this will do, $13.99: Wilton Recipe Right Non-Stick Biscuit and Brownie Pan, 11 in. x 7 in. (2-Pack)
61PRmuS8sfL_SL1000_.jpg

4. Stainless strainer, $8.99: CHICHIC Set of 3 Stainless Steel Kitchen Fine Strainers Tea Fine Y Mesh Strainers Juice Egg Filter 3 Sieve Colander Sets Wire Filter Mesh for Tea Coffee Food Rice Vegetable with Handle
610X0M01CQL_SL1000_.jpg

5. Large mason jars. I use these because they are on-hand, I usually buy these at Walmart, $6.00: 1 Ball 64oz Wide Mouth Half Gallon Mason Jar
71w54RGAaGL_SL1500_.jpg

6. Unbleached cone coffee filters, the #4s fit the wide mouth mason jars well, $3.99: Melitta No. 4 Cone Coffee Filters, Natural Brown, 100 Count
51vcs5PWuzL.jpg

7. Silicon pad, $11.00: Oil Slick Duo Platinum Cured Medical Grade Silicone Pads, Set of 2, 3.25x4.5" Pads
61B0_VwNPPL_SL1200_.jpg

8. Razor blades.

9. Gloves. It’s sticky-icky!

Please shop around. You can probably find everything cheaper!

The first things I do is gather all my materials. I put the cake pan on the griddle, and put hot water in the cake pan. This is the beginning of a diy double boiler. I turn on the griddle to keep the water hot.

After that I gather the weed, alcohol, mason jars, and filters to begin the process. Today I’m using some fresh frozen bud from my last harvest. The strain is called Amherst Sour Diesel and the seed came from Humbolt.

A41D2713-E0BF-450A-99B7-4D75765BD007.jpeg

I then put the material in a mason jar and cover the weed with the Everclear:

631434E5-7A47-4AD9-9A71-BC660FDC83AA.jpeg

E70FCCBF-D26B-440E-9990-139C1A95F473.jpeg

I put the lid on the mason jar and let the alcohol and weed just sit for about 15-30 seconds. Then, I slowly swirl (not shaking; remember, we are going for the best of the best here) for another 20-30 seconds.

The jar then gets dumped into my stainless strainer. I sit the strainer over a plastic Folgers Coffee container to capture the goodness (naturally it’s been cleaned beforehand and there’s no coffee in it). :tokin:

AAAF1C1A-2525-4CD0-BBCB-01D7993FB83C.jpeg

Then starts the most annoying part for me and that’s filtering. I simply pour the mixture from the Folgers coffee container threw a coffee filter that’s sitting in the mason jar. I completely filter the mixture at least 2 times, depending on what it looks like. Sometimes I’ll filter 3 times.

8AD054D8-B98E-4D5D-B181-CADFF64B180B.jpeg

48D29BF0-2AF1-46A5-82CC-C34E74C0C6E7.jpeg

397BF56B-73A6-47C4-B963-C59BA2251D05.jpeg

4EC3E81F-CE72-4B90-8990-6F66F070E7C3.jpeg

It takes a little while to complete, but be patient. I don’t squeeze the living shit out of filters either. When it’s filtered it’s filtered. No need to dick with it. I will tap on the filter at times if it seems to slow down too much. Remember the idea is to capture the best!

The mixture will look slightly different from strain to strain, whether it fresh frozen, bud or trim, and naturally how well the plant was grown, and when it was harvested. The main thing I look for is a very light golden yellow. A good piss color...

176EA2EE-0EAF-4D1A-B219-E0DBC24042D7.jpeg

Next, it’s time to help evaporate off the alcohol with the diy double boiler. This is where it can be dangerous. The evaporation process will make dangerous fumes. No smoking! Keep your area ventilated.

I pour the mix into the Pyrex and place it in the cake pan with hot water. I keep the griddle heat at a medium to medium-low heat (on my griddle, 1 is low and 8 is full high. I keep it at about 3.5-4).

93269CF0-7AF7-4096-AEFA-123CBF2A7543.jpeg

5EF493C5-3185-4C30-A1C4-04CC8DD56FFC.jpeg

At that heat, it takes about 1.5 hours to cook off most of the alcohol. Alcohol will boil faster than water so we are looking for that sweet spot—not boiling but hot enough to evaporate. In my experience, keeping the temps of the mixture below 140F is the best. The slower the better to keep as many terpines as possible. Trust me, you’ll thank me later.

29E57D23-042F-4755-B78C-083D7C6C7CCE.jpeg

You will be able to see as the mixture is rendered down to the goodness. I use razor blades to scrape and collect onto a silicone pad. It takes awhile and is very sticky, but so satisfying. At least to me.

2ACBDF7E-FC78-4165-B745-C5F5E545BCB7.jpeg

009CF3E0-0022-4B24-9926-5DC7B17F1437.jpeg

Once it’s all collected, I sandwich it between two silicone pads and place the pads on the warm Pyrex to help smash it flat.

082B72D5-B152-4113-A894-6C1E1D38E79E.jpeg

Then, it goes directly into the freezer while I clean up my stuff and put everything away. Here’s what it looks like coming right out of the freezer.

30C42C8C-D670-4215-8597-AE5D452D81D7.jpeg

Normally, I’ll let it sit in a drawer, at room temperature, for a few days. This allows for more alcohol to be evaporated, if there’s any left, while also making it more stable. In just a short time it will be stable enough to pickup and handle. This is what it looks like after 8 hours:

F4872D6B-A24C-4F01-8841-86E7799B0CDE.jpeg

I wish we had smellavision! There’s a strong pepper and spice smell with a hint of pine and a fruit that I can’t put my finger on. It tastes like a gummy bear on steroids... :tokin:

It can be dabbed immediately, and I do it all the time. It’s just better if you let it “cure,” for lack of a better word, for a few days. In this particular case, I’m going to use it for making canna coconut oil capsules... I’ll post those pictures here...as soon as it gets done.

Well, that’s Grandpa’s Everclear shatter tutorial. I hope you enjoyed it. Remember, SAFETY FIRST! Peace out!

Cheers!

51BD9B5A-822A-4DFD-85D6-0FE9BB746860.jpeg

Edit: More safety tips.

1. Razor blades are very sharp.
2. Please be cautious and don’t run with scissors.
3. Wrap that rascal!

Excellent tutorial, that's pretty much the way I run my concentrate as well but in the past I've used ISO. I do have a gallon of extractohol I'm saving for my next big run.

Wow!! What a great, engaging and detailed tutorial. You included supplies! I need to do this in my next oil tutorial;) This goes right in my toolbox for when I'm ready to make dabs! Are you saying you can dab and eat this oil??

This tutorial reminded me of this old diy/craft book I had in the early 90's it always started with "These are the supplies you will need" and had pictures of the supplies and the process! So awesome .

Yay! Thank you for the words Grandpa :). Excellent :thumb:

Quick question: If the pyrex is sitting directly on the metal baking pan, isn't the pyrex effectively sitting on the toastmaster? Metal and conduction and all? So what does the water do if it's pushed off to the edges of the pan?

Good question. I should’ve mentioned that. At times, I need to raise the Pyrex slightly to allow any air bubbles caught between the Pyrex and the pan to escape. However, keeping the temps that low (under 140F) will alleviate any real issues. In the beginning of my journey with Cannabis I heard of guys just putting the Pyrex directly on the griddle. Then, suddenly there was a rash of Pyrex dishes exploding all over the world. That, and a bunch of people blowing up houses by not handling alcohol or butane correctly. Basically, the double boiler idea came to me for safety reasons.

Grabbing this spot Gramps! Where is the bong with the GG4 in it?

You can have both!

85D643BB-0017-49FC-8862-EA460C3FE346.jpeg

Excellent tutorial, that’s pretty much the way I run my concentrate as well but in the past I’ve used ISO. I do have a gallon of extractohol I’m saving for my next big run.

Thank you Penny! I’ve used ISO a lot. It’s what I started with. It may be my imagination, but I think the grain alcohol tastes better.

Wow!! What a great, engaging and detailed tutorial. You included supplies! I need to do this in my next oil tutorial;) This goes right in my toolbox for when I’m ready to make dabs! Are you saying you can dab and eat this oil??

This tutorial reminded me of this old diy/craft book I had in the early 90’s it always started with “These are the supplies you will need” and had pictures of the supplies and the process! So awesome .

Thanks newty! I’ll post some more pictures after I make the capsules. You can Dab this as it is or decarb it and make other oils.

Good question. I should’ve mentioned that. At times, I need to raise the Pyrex slightly to allow any air bubbles caught between the Pyrex and the pan to escape. However, keeping the temps that low (under 140F) will alleviate any real issues. In the beginning of my journey with Cannabis I heard of guys just putting the Pyrex directly on the griddle. Then, suddenly there was a rash of Pyrex dishes exploding all over the world. That, and a bunch of people blowing up houses by not handling alcohol or butane correctly. Basically, the double boiler idea came to me for safety reasons.

Thanks! Safety first :).

Google extractohol

I was going to suggest that. I need to look at prices.

They're a sponsor here but I wanna walk to the liquor store and buy some!

There’s a small farm close to me for sale...but it gets cold in the winter. :tokin:

I’ve used 70% ISO and also Bacardi Rum before. It won’t be as good, but you can get some decent stuff. Naturally, the highest % is best. If you have to use low alcohol just make small batches frozen well.

Thanks GT, great tutorial man!

Thanks Bear!

Back
Top Bottom