Grandpa Gets Oily! Everclear Extracts For Shatter Or Oil!

Hi Grandpa Tokin, Made the shatter yesterday and couldn't respond here to thank you and get some troubleshooting done. Thats the great news! (Oh it really works!) The meh news is, I used equipment I had around the house and could fine tune the end results I think. Here goes: I didn't have the stove and pans. I did have an induction stovetop with adjustable temperature and thought that was a good idea. I also had a copper colored pan with a slippery surface. Win win I thought. Well hold on there, the pan is square and the iron bottom section for making the heat is round. There's the rub. The circle of heat in the center of the pan heated up ok but the corners puddled up not getting hot. In the end I took my yellow bondo spreader and mixed it all up in the center of the pan. It didn't do much after that. I kept the end temp low at 110 to 120. If I went up from there it would spike to 180 and bubble. Like I mentioned earlier it really works in our vape and tastes fine too. The issue i'm having is it won't stay solid at room temp. Now that it's a smaller mass I have choices of heating if you think more processing is in order. What do you think Grandpa? Should this be re-processed? With all that said, I'm so thrilled to have made this. I had 4 gallon bags of really trichy blue drean cbd frozen trim. It turned from good med to great med. Slept like a baby last night. Thanks Brother P>S> Last pic at almost room temp. No buano
IMG_3461.jpg
IMG_3473.jpg
IMG_3474.jpg

Hello friends! My little trip got shortened due to really bad weather. Drove 4 hours in blizzard conditions. Not the brightest move I've made, but not close to the worst. :tokin:

Anywayz, here's what I did with my blob of very nice trichomes. Enjoy!

I weighed out the blob, because I can:

28DCFA2B-E4EA-4F3B-85FB-E32A07B6C325.jpeg

I separated the blob into two smaller blobs to fit in my silicone containers, and put them in my toaster oven at 250F for 10 minutes:

BE371E00-1BE3-4F94-A830-94F4740596E2.jpeg

21FF6B07-9DF8-4A2E-90AA-73BD36DD112B.jpeg

5D978133-83BD-48FA-9153-5C23105E6C1A.jpeg

While that is going on, I measured out ~one cup of coconut oil and put it on the heat to melt. I also use one teaspoon of lecithin per cup.

D5D2116A-18E3-4CD4-AA84-411F866DAF5E.jpeg

B0CD5086-8EB1-4A47-BC60-509D24A68A4D.jpeg

7D9B13F6-A364-4221-8550-656EFF6C20D6.jpeg

When 10 minutes was complete on the toaster oven I checked and things were still bubbling so I put it on for another 5 minutes and watched it closely. In another 3 minutes it had stopped bubbling so I know it's decarb'd:

FC7D16F6-4528-46B2-A607-776383184EFE.jpeg

0F38D9F0-CBD2-4701-8769-59180B7483CC.jpeg

Then, I simply add the containers to the coconut oil. *Caution! Hot!

0C78904F-AF53-40EB-8976-46E4E7DE1CF8.jpeg

0A4D5636-A3E2-42AE-BBE9-54DD8698B3E6.jpeg

Then, it's just a matter of filling capsules. I made 30 and took 3 immediately. I'm vibrating nicely! :tokin:

DA60CF2C-58B5-4F06-9288-6932D0AD3954.jpeg

422A8C78-8F88-49B4-90C2-343C274F1435.jpeg

I only used about 30ml since each capsule contains 1ml. And, since there's 236ml per cup I'm set for a few days. The leftovers go in the fridge for later.

60195385-7979-4C0F-B696-8B9A3EAE1432.jpeg

Now, this is a pretty strong batch. I'm comfortable knowing that 3 capsules will rock my world. That may be too much for some and not enough for others. You know the deal. You need to experiment to find your sweet spot. I hope this was helpful!

This is really great info ive been wanting to try this myself for awhile now i jus recently been trying my hand at making vape oil using various emulsion kits i find online but im starting to see its mainly sumthing called pg whish i believe is propylene glycol if im not mistaken but i could be wrong lol. Well what i was wondering was in ur mix above how much did that chunk of rosin weigh that u put in? Also do you know how to make vape oil?

This is really great info ive been wanting to try this myself for awhile now i jus recently been trying my hand at making vape oil using various emulsion kits i find online but im starting to see its mainly sumthing called pg whish i believe is propylene glycol if im not mistaken but i could be wrong lol. Well what i was wondering was in ur mix above how much did that chunk of rosin weigh that u put in? Also do you know how to make vape oil?
Hi Blazin, I didn't get a chance to weigh it yet. I will when I get the little containers for storage this Saturday. I'll post it here. Vape oil is something I don't know anything about. I put this directly in a pax3 and away I go.

Also i was wondering about the stuff that collects on the coffee filter when filtering out the plant material i do 2 or 3 filter runs and after i get the plant mater out i get this kief like substance on the filters an i was wondering if it was actually kief or what is it? Here is a pic of what im talkn about

Hey gt i was wondering if ur oil that u make with alcohol turns black cause mine does i was wondering how do u get tht nice clear amber color??

That happened once for me too, I think I could’ve strained it better. Also I think my temps were too High. I also have only used the 75% everclear haven’t gotten my hands in the good stuff yet
Also i was wondering about the stuff that collects on the coffee filter when filtering out the plant material i do 2 or 3 filter runs and after i get the plant mater out i get this kief like substance on the filters an i was wondering if it was actually kief or what is it? Here is a pic of what im talkn about

I was also curious about this, it almost looks like beautiful blonde keif.. or a load of dead mites :eek::rofl:

Hi Grandpa Tokin, Made the shatter yesterday and couldn't respond here to thank you and get some troubleshooting done. Thats the great news! (Oh it really works!) The meh news is, I used equipment I had around the house and could fine tune the end results I think. Here goes: I didn't have the stove and pans. I did have an induction stovetop with adjustable temperature and thought that was a good idea. I also had a copper colored pan with a slippery surface. Win win I thought. Well hold on there, the pan is square and the iron bottom section for making the heat is round. There's the rub. The circle of heat in the center of the pan heated up ok but the corners puddled up not getting hot. In the end I took my yellow bondo spreader and mixed it all up in the center of the pan. It didn't do much after that. I kept the end temp low at 110 to 120. If I went up from there it would spike to 180 and bubble. Like I mentioned earlier it really works in our vape and tastes fine too. The issue i'm having is it won't stay solid at room temp. Now that it's a smaller mass I have choices of heating if you think more processing is in order. What do you think Grandpa? Should this be re-processed? With all that said, I'm so thrilled to have made this. I had 4 gallon bags of really trichy blue drean cbd frozen trim. It turned from good med to great med. Slept like a baby last night. Thanks Brother P>S> Last pic at almost room temp. No buano
IMG_3461.jpg
IMG_3473.jpg
IMG_3474.jpg
I'm going in for a guess Grandpa. I can't be left alone for long before I make my own world. How's this one. What I think I have here is rso. Maybe a good quality rso? Also it's not decarbed. I brought it to room temp. and a little warmer, then sucked it up in syringes. Now...The rest of the story. I had so much trim, it went into a 1 gallon jar twice. I poured 1.75 ltr everclear over it. Rested for 30 seconds, rolled gently 30 seconds, dumped everclear into a container and got about a cup out of the 1.75 ltr's. My polish brain couldn't handle the loss of alcohol especially with another whole gallon jar of weed I wanted to process. Doh! I squeezed some liquid out of the trim to get enough to process the second jar. Had to squeeze the second jar too. You see the quart I kept. Whew !My guess is if I had used that cup of broth I would have nice shatter to smoke. I don't know. What makes oil and shatter different is the question I think. It's a good day.

I'm going in for a guess Grandpa. I can't be left alone for long before I make my own world. How's this one. What I think I have here is rso. Maybe a good quality rso? Also it's not decarbed. I brought it to room temp. and a little warmer, then sucked it up in syringes. Now...The rest of the story. I had so much trim, it went into a 1 gallon jar twice. I poured 1.75 ltr everclear over it. Rested for 30 seconds, rolled gently 30 seconds, dumped everclear into a container and got about a cup out of the 1.75 ltr's. My polish brain couldn't handle the loss of alcohol especially with another whole gallon jar of weed I wanted to process. Doh! I squeezed some liquid out of the trim to get enough to process the second jar. Had to squeeze the second jar too. You see the quart I kept. Whew !My guess is if I had used that cup of broth I would have nice shatter to smoke. I don't know. What makes oil and shatter different is the question I think. It's a good day.

Sorry for being late here...I wasn’t paying attention. :ganjamon:

I don’t know if I can answer your question, but I’ll certainly give it a shot. First, let me just say that I’ve been experimenting with this process for a long time. I didn’t get it right—and by “right” I mean what I’m getting now...I didn’t always get a good product. The best end product I’m getting is because I do a very quick wash with very little swirling at all. Basically, I am now doing a quick soak..for lack of better terms. Soak for 30 seconds and start straining. I don’t squeeze filters either. I know that sounds like a waste, but I like the end product. I’ve done it enough now that I can tell if the end product will be good by looking at the color of the filtered stuff.

I believe you either need to evap longer or let it sit in a dark, cool place for awhile. Also I think the more chlorophyll the more unstable it will be. But, wtf do I know? I’m still experimenting too! :slide:

I’m happy it’s working for you though. The more you do it the better it will be. The product you got looks killer to me.

Hey gt i was wondering if ur oil that u make with alcohol turns black cause mine does i was wondering how do u get tht nice clear amber color??

Mine does not do that unless:

1. I shook too much chlorophyll into it.
2. Got too hot during evap.
3. Not filtered enough.
4. Depends on the weed also.

I’ve tried experimenting with the residue. I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s poopoo...I throw it out and don’t use it for anything.

Sorry for being late here...I wasn’t paying attention. :ganjamon:

I don’t know if I can answer your question, but I’ll certainly give it a shot. First, let me just say that I’ve been experimenting with this process for a long time. I didn’t get it right—and by “right” I mean what I’m getting now...I didn’t always get a good product. The best end product I’m getting is because I do a very quick wash with very little swirling at all. Basically, I am now doing a quick soak..for lack of better terms. Soak for 30 seconds and start straining. I don’t squeeze filters either. I know that sounds like a waste, but I like the end product. I’ve done it enough now that I can tell if the end product will be good by looking at the color of the filtered stuff.

I believe you either need to evap longer or let it sit in a dark, cool place for awhile. Also I think the more chlorophyll the more unstable it will be. But, wtf do I know? I’m still experimenting too! :slide:

I’m happy it’s working for you though. The more you do it the better it will be. The product you got looks killer to me.
Hi Grandpa, no one's late here. Thanks for the kind words. My freezer is finally empty. I have 18 grams of whatever this awesomeness is called, and I have 2 blueberries ready to harvest in a couple of weeks or so. Life is good! I'll try again with frozen bud next trip. Not a half pound, maybe an ounce. Cheers!

Hello everyone! Grandpa’s making some killer oils and I want to share the process I go through. The goal with this particular batch is to get the best I can from the material I’m using. I’m in search of trichome heads and as little green (Chlorophyll) as possible.

With that in mind, let’s make some shatter!

Hey Grandpa Tokin,

I've finally worked through my "failed" batch and am ready to make another pass at vape oil. Since my last post, I feel that it has gotten a little stronger over time (evaporation?), but still mostly a subtle body high. However, I have mixed it with food a few times and gotten a good reaction from it. The first time, the plunger got stuck on the syringe, and I accidentally squirted more than I meant (not sure how much. maybe .5 - 1 ml). Body high hit first, then a SUPER strong head high knocked me on my ass. I've also micro-dosed several times (only 5-10 drops) and gotten a relaxing result. So while not a super great vape reaction, decent as edible (though it tastes terrible).

I have a few questions for you on your process before I get started.

1. Why are you not decarbing the plant material before doing the alcohol wash (like you would before making budder)?
2. What are the coffee filters filtering out?
3. You mention decarbing the sticky shatter you end up with (heating until no more bubbles). Is this different from decarbing plant material? What does it do?

Thanks for being a great resource! I will try to remember to get some pics to post.

Hey Grandpa Tokin,

I've finally worked through my "failed" batch and am ready to make another pass at vape oil. Since my last post, I feel that it has gotten a little stronger over time (evaporation?), but still mostly a subtle body high. However, I have mixed it with food a few times and gotten a good reaction from it. The first time, the plunger got stuck on the syringe, and I accidentally squirted more than I meant (not sure how much. maybe .5 - 1 ml). Body high hit first, then a SUPER strong head high knocked me on my ass. I've also micro-dosed several times (only 5-10 drops) and gotten a relaxing result. So while not a super great vape reaction, decent as edible (though it tastes terrible).

I have a few questions for you on your process before I get started.

1. Why are you not decarbing the plant material before doing the alcohol wash (like you would before making budder)?
3. You mention decarbing the sticky shatter you end up with (heating until no more bubbles). Is this different from decarbing plant material? What does it do?

Thanks for being a great resource! I will try to remember to get some pics to post.
Hey Eagles! Welcome to 420mag :). I'll let the Grandpa deal with most of your questions but I did want to jump in to say that capsules are the best way to take cannabis internally. They're cheap, easy to use, and unless you want to make brownies or gummies, taste-free! I get the 00 gelcaps off amazon and they hold just under 1 ml (something like .91).

Also, I have read that sublingual isn't all that effective for absorbing cannabinoids and that most of what you get from those doses are from what you finally swallow.

:welcome:

Hey Eagles! Welcome to 420mag :). I'll let the Grandpa deal with most of your questions but I did want to jump in to say that capsules are the best way to take cannabis internally. They're cheap, easy to use, and unless you want to make brownies or gummies, taste-free! I get the 00 gelcaps off amazon and they hold just under 1 ml (something like .91).

Also, I have read that sublingual isn't all that effective for absorbing cannabinoids and that most of what you get from those doses are from what you finally swallow.

:welcome:

Hi Shed,

This PG/VG mixture is definitely not what I normally use for edible ingestion; I just wanted to use up the "failed" batch quickly. I make some killer budder that my wife uses to make brownies. ~1/2 brownie kicks in ~45min - 1.25 hours after eating and gives us a great 6-8 hours.

haven't done any sub-lingual dosing, always swallow (~insert sophomoric swallowing joke :eek:)

I did just recently see where Tokin made gel-caps and thought that might be a good experiment, though still not my preferred method.

thanks for the welcome and input!

Hi Shed,
This PG/VG mixture is definitely not what I normally use for edible ingestion; I just wanted to use up the "failed" batch quickly. I make some killer budder that my wife uses to make brownies. ~1/2 brownie kicks in ~45min - 1.25 hours after eating and gives us a great 6-8 hours.
haven't done any sub-lingual dosing, always swallow (~insert sophomoric swallowing joke :eek:)
I did just recently see where Tokin made gel-caps and thought that might be a good experiment, though still not my preferred method.
thanks for the welcome and input!
Having some capsules on hand isn't a bad idea even if you only use them for the occasional "failed" batch! I have a friend who wanted me to make some indica edibles for sleeping (I just made sativa gummies). I said screw that! Too much time and bother if you just want to go night-night. Made the oil, put in capsules, done! No muss, no fuss, no taste :).

Having some capsules on hand isn't a bad idea even if you only use them for the occasional "failed" batch! I have a friend who wanted me to make some indica edibles for sleeping (I just made sativa gummies). I said screw that! Too much time and bother if you just want to go night-night. Made the oil, put in capsules, done! No muss, no fuss, no taste :).
Tell him to take the capsule with a shot of jello.

Hi @iflywitheagles I’ll try to answer these the best I can:

To be honest, I do as little as possible. :ganjamon: I suppose you could do it that way, but to me it’s just so much easier to decarb the oil. It takes up way less space in my little toaster oven and just easier for me to handle. It also reduces the odor of cannabis considerably (depending on the weed naturally). It’ll still “stink” but much less than a pile of trim.

They filter out much of the microscopic impurities, ie. Chlorophyll and any plant material. I’m trying to get as close to pure THC as I can—in a shop, not a laboratory.

It’s not really any different in my opinion; just way easier for me. Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid (THCA) needs to be converted into THC if you want to enjoy the intoxicating effects. THCA does have some benefits alone such as, anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective qualities...whateverthefuck that means. :)

I agree with shed on the capsules.

I use a water distiller to reclaim almost all my 151, works like a charm not sure if anybody mentioned it. Cheaper than source turbo.

The problem I had with water distillers, a basic pot still, is their low efficiency. It takes at least three passes through he distiller to achieve 85% or greater alcohol content in the distilate. A reflux column still will do this in a single pass. Take a look at Brewhaus America for pre-built columns starting at $259. You can adapt a pressure cooker for use as your kettle. You can also build your own. The instructions are at moonshine-still.com. I've mentioned using the pressure cooker as a kettle, but there are lots of other 'pressure vessels' that can be used. A hot water heater was used in my second still. My first? What would you think of seeing a propane tank being heated on a camp stove? Yes, that new propane tank was my first, and cheapest kettle ;)

PS: a good recipe for a mash to make your own ethanol is 1lb of sugar and 1 lb of cracked corn to 1 US gal of water.

Back
Top Bottom