Grandpa Gets Oily! Everclear Extracts For Shatter Or Oil!

^ This!

@Maritimer @Old Salt is right as usual. When I’m heating to evaporate the alcohol, I keep the temperature below 130F for the entire process. Usually in the neighborhood of 1.5 hours. It’s evaporated very slowly. Not only is this preserving terpenes and other goodness, it’s also much safer. Alcohol fumes are extremely volatile so please be careful.

Sounds like your final product is not decarbed too. I think you’re definitely on the right road though. I’m with old salt on the rosin as well. Check out my other thread in my signature.
130F will be by new target it was around 170F during evaporation,
then to decarb raise the temps slowly up after bubbles stop to to peak of 230F and try to hold it there for 15 additional minutes.
I will back off my dosage until I am almost starting over the mini dose hoping next batch is more potent.

Many thanks, I look forward to giving it a run tomorrow or next and will report back. :peace:

Plan to borrow fancy hair straightener tonight, does it leave evidence that my CSI wife can easily detect? Not that I am not King of the Castle ya know.:)

130F will be by new target it was around 170F during evaporation,
then to decarb raise the temps slowly up after bubbles stop to to peak of 230F and try to hold it there for 15 additional minutes.
I will back off my dosage until I am almost starting over the mini dose hoping next batch is more potent.

Many thanks, I look forward to giving it a run tomorrow or next and will report back. :peace:

Plan to borrow fancy hair straightener tonight, does it leave evidence that my CSI wife can easily detect? Not that I am not King of the Castle ya know.:)

Hey, I’m definitely the head of my household...my wife is the neck that turns the head. :thedoubletake:

It doesn’t really leave a residue, but you need to use a hand clamp on it which cracks the heck out of it. She’ll bust you for sure. :cheesygrinsmiley: LOL!

However, no fear! These things are cheap. This is the one I started with.

I have never done this before tonight. Wow, I mean WOW!
Gentlemen, I am a chronic pain trainwreck along entire lumbar spine.
Had 3 level decompression in Jan and still leaking spinal fluid
Surgery declared a failure by performing surgeons.
I know pain
The first hair press rosin toke ever, and my game plans may be changing.
thank you again, wow :peace:

what are the silicon pads for?
lowest temp hers goes is 300F how long squeeze?

I have never done this before tonight. Wow, I mean WOW!
Gentlemen, I am a chronic pain trainwreck along entire lumbar spine.
Had 3 level decompression in Jan and still leaking spinal fluid
Surgery declared a failure by performing surgeons.
I know pain
The first hair press rosin toke ever, and my game plans may be changing.
thank you again, wow :peace:

what are the silicon pads for?
lowest temp hers goes is 300F how long squeeze?

I use the silicone pads and silicone containers to keep my Rosin. Squish it for about 2-4 minutes. LOL! You’re hooked. You’re welcome. :woohoo:

Hey, I’m definitely the head of my household...my wife is the neck that turns the head. :thedoubletake:

I'm Captain of my own ship. Gotta go, the Admiral (my wife!) is calling,

Good afternoon, @Grandpa Tokin, and all the other contributors here,

I've been enjoying this thread, as well as some of your others. I've been thinking about making an alcohol-based extract, and wanted to get your reaction to what I have in mind.

For the past year or so, I have been making infused olive oil, which I then use in various edibles. I have been really pleased with the effect - most of my goodies go to Mrs. Bard to help her with RA and fibro, and sleep.

I was thinking of moving to an extract, primarily to open up some different culinary options (ice cream!). The olive oil can be a bit tricky to incorporate into water-based recipes, like gummies. I can get an emulsion formed with lots of stirring, but a more concentrated extract might be easier to use.

My plan is to follow the steps that all of you have shared here, using frozen alcohol and cannabis, and then reducing down the elixir.

Two points where I have questions, though...

1) I don't believe that I will be able to obtain Everclear here in Ontario. All liquor is sold through our provincial government stores, and they don't seem to carry that product. Alcohol is also extremely expensive here, so I am curious about "reclaiming" it in the process, versus evaporating it away.

2) I was thinking about using a "water distiller" for the for the evaporation stage. My understanding is that this will allow me to recapture most of the booze from the process to re-use the next time around. I also thought if I bought the highest alcohol content vodka I could find, I could run it through the distiller once or twice to create my own higher proof liquid. Kind of a DIY Everclear. I would then do the frozen bud infusion and run that liquid through the distiller.

I think the resulting extract will be much more concentrated than the olive oil infusion, and easier to use in different applications.

What do you think of this approach? Anyone else who has an opinion or advice on this, please chime in! Thanks everyone.

Good afternoon, @Grandpa Tokin, and all the other contributors here,

I've been enjoying this thread, as well as some of your others. I've been thinking about making an alcohol-based extract, and wanted to get your reaction to what I have in mind.

For the past year or so, I have been making infused olive oil, which I then use in various edibles. I have been really pleased with the effect - most of my goodies go to Mrs. Bard to help her with RA and fibro, and sleep.

I was thinking of moving to an extract, primarily to open up some different culinary options (ice cream!). The olive oil can be a bit tricky to incorporate into water-based recipes, like gummies. I can get an emulsion formed with lots of stirring, but a more concentrated extract might be easier to use.

My plan is to follow the steps that all of you have shared here, using frozen alcohol and cannabis, and then reducing down the elixir.

Two points where I have questions, though...

1) I don't believe that I will be able to obtain Everclear here in Ontario. All liquor is sold through our provincial government stores, and they don't seem to carry that product. Alcohol is also extremely expensive here, so I am curious about "reclaiming" it in the process, versus evaporating it away.

2) I was thinking about using a "water distiller" for the for the evaporation stage. My understanding is that this will allow me to recapture most of the booze from the process to re-use the next time around. I also thought if I bought the highest alcohol content vodka I could find, I could run it through the distiller once or twice to create my own higher proof liquid. Kind of a DIY Everclear. I would then do the frozen bud infusion and run that liquid through the distiller.

I think the resulting extract will be much more concentrated than the olive oil infusion, and easier to use in different applications.

What do you think of this approach? Anyone else who has an opinion or advice on this, please chime in! Thanks everyone.

Good idea. I’ve thought about something like this a lot. Please post pictures. I’m very interested.

@The Bard
I’m in Ontario as well and although we can’t get everclear we can still make a similar recipe with 99% ISO.

This is terms is RSO or Rick Simpson Oil.

Same process of freezing bud and ISO then covering bud, filtering, cooking off.

I would look at this option as opposed to the Vodka because ISO is cheap and you can buy a 4pack at Costco for 7$!

Good idea. I’ve thought about something like this a lot. Please post pictures. I’m very interested.
I've done that in the 70's with an iso2 hash oil machine. Same as a distiller. I had some home made wine and no bottles left so I distilled it into a clear moonshine. Got a pint from a gallon or so. Elderberry moonshine was a hit for a very short time. It works.

Thanks @Grandpa Tokin and @Dutchman1990!

I'm going to try the distiller route, just out of curiosity. I'm also a bit leery of the ISO (basically rubbing alcohol, if I understand correctly). I get that it all boils off, but would prefer not to use something toxic, if I can find a different solution. I'll keep you posted on how it goes, but might come back to the ISO on another run.

Thanks all.

I'm going to try the distiller route, just out of curiosity. I'm also a bit leery of the ISO (basically rubbing alcohol, if I understand correctly). I get that it all boils off, but would prefer not to use something toxic, if I can find a different solution. I'll keep you posted on how it goes, but might come back to the ISO on another run.

Thanks all.

If you watch the tutorial on how they make “RSO” they use ISO alcohol. This has been used with cancer patients for years and I don’t think they would suggest something that’s worse for you!

When cooked off properly you shouldn’t have any residual left. You can also allow for it to sit out for a few additional days to ensure a clean product before using or putting in caps!

Just a thought!

If you watch the tutorial on how they make “RSO” they use ISO alcohol. This has been used with cancer patients for years and I don’t think they would suggest something that’s worse for you!

When cooked off properly you shouldn’t have any residual left. You can also allow for it to sit out for a few additional days to ensure a clean product before using or putting in caps!

Just a thought!

Good to know, Dutch, thanks!

Thanks all.

I’ve used ISO and other alcohols before. I’ve always wanted a way to recapture. That was until I found Rosin (solventless). Now I only use alcohol for the Rosin pucks basically...every few months instead of once a week.

Anyway, I’m in favor of extracting the goodness from this plant no matter what method you use. All I really care about is doing it safely; especially if you’re using solvents.

I’ve been using Grandpa’s method but using a double boiler. I have a electric stove with a glass cooktop, no flame. I turn on my exhaust fan on high. I get the water boiling then turn it down to a high simmer.

Back
Top Bottom