Grandpa Gets Oily! Everclear Extracts For Shatter Or Oil!

Question from someone who has never used or even seen oil or shatter or any of these new fangled formats - how fast do you go through that rosin? Is it comparable to the speed you might go through a similar amount of bud? It seems like so little output compared to dry. I can understand if you are filling caps and don't want to smoke at all. Just trying to learn all I can.
I took about a half pound of shake and trim from the freezer yesterday, decarbed it and dumped it into a gallon mason jar and covered it in Everclear. Now I'm wondering if this is tincture material or just exactly what to do with it. lol

Question from someone who has never used or even seen oil or shatter or any of these new fangled formats - how fast do you go through that rosin? Is it comparable to the speed you might go through a similar amount of bud? It seems like so little output compared to dry. I can understand if you are filling caps and don't want to smoke at all. Just trying to learn all I can.
I took about a half pound of shake and trim from the freezer yesterday, decarbed it and dumped it into a gallon mason jar and covered it in Everclear. Now I'm wondering if this is tincture material or just exactly what to do with it. lol
If you left the Everclear in there for a long time, you will have a more complete plant extract than a shatter like Grandpa makes. That's OK! You can now do the same thing that is done for shatter, but your result will be thicker and darker. Your filtered Everclear mixture will have more green in it, which is chlorophyll, and it will turn a tar color as the alcohol evaporates. If your trim was not decarboxylated, you will need to go through that additional step with the final product. I use a Magic Butter Machine for the decarb if I have a complete plant extract. What I do is, I evaporate the alcohol and then put some carrier oil (olive or other vegetable oil) in it with some Sunflower Lecithin to make it all homogenized. Then I decarb it. Usually I do this with fresh frozen herb. I decarb the dried flower in the oven for 40 minutes at 240 degrees F. Then put it in the freezer in a mason jar, and once frozen, pour the Everclear on top of it (I keep it in the freezer and then do like Grandpa does for the swishing and filtering.
Hope this helps!

Great question! This is completely subjective, naturally, but I squish ~ roughly 10 to 14 grams of bud per week (I try to keep an abundance of weed on hand so many times I’ll squish more...because I can). Under normal circumstances (nobody else smoking my chit) that amount will keep me very medicated for 5 to 7 days. I know for absolute surety that I will smoke more than 14 grams of flower in 7 days.

That’s me. You may be a puss and only do one dab a day... :rofl:

I go through the same amount of flower or rosin equivalent.

:thanks: Thanks everyone, that was indeed helpful. Well it's going to rain outside so time to break out the alchemists's lab....will let you know what turns out. And yes, Grandpa, I'm pretty certain that amount of weed per week would definitely knock me on my arse.....lmao.

You might wanna consider putting your extract in vape cartridges. That will dilute the extract and make it last longer for sure. The best part is that you can also calibrate the potency to some extent but you don't want to dilute your extract with more than 1:1 ratio. I prefer using terpenes as thinners. The amount you should use depends on which type of extract you have and how much your terpene manufacturer suggests for these certain extracts. I don't recommend using PG, PEG300&400 and other stuff like that. I also think that mct oil is bullshit for cartridges. Just go and buy some natural terpenes and mix it with your concentrate under the influence of heat. Let it cool off and fill into your cartridge.

Personally, I can smoke as I do my job and that is the reason for me to have a joint between my fingers all the f*ck*ng day. I like the action of smoking. I always need to have something in my hand that produces smoke. I don't think I can dab continiously and do my job properly at the same time so I prefer using them in cartridges mostly. Or I am just rolling long and slim work joints with cured flower.

If I am chilling out, I can dab till I sleep but that would be very luxurious. You can smoke 1 gram of dab per day. 2 grams? No problem. 3 grams? Very possible. It goes on and on and everybody has their own way for medication. Using a cartridge just makes things much more flexible.

Peace :passitleft:

PS: Great guide @Grandpa Tokin btw. I am also using butane and quick wash ethanol extraction methods. QWE extraction is the safest and best method in my opinion. I will go for thc-a diamonds and terp sauce next. I hope I can make that happen :blunt:

I'd say it's okay to use frosty sugar leaves but I definitely wouldn't waste the alcohol on fan leaves. I made gummy bears from fan leaf oil and it took 18 bears before anyone felt a thing! Now the fans go to skin salve.
OK I tried abottle of Everclear with 100 gm of deCarbed Fan leaves and let it soak for a week then filtered it off and Wallah you have a acceptable Green Dragon. I was a little hesitant in the quality of the Green Dragon so I mixed 1/2 a shot glass with lemon aid and ice tea and got a acceptable Buzz..... I just corrected my post I used 100 gm fan leaves not 10 gms....sorry

You might wanna consider putting your extract in vape cartridges. That will dilute the extract and make it last longer for sure. The best part is that you can also calibrate the potency to some extent but you don't want to dilute your extract with more than 1:1 ratio. I prefer using terpenes as thinners. The amount you should use depends on which type of extract you have and how much your terpene manufacturer suggests for these certain extracts. I don't recommend using PG, PEG300&400 and other stuff like that. I also think that mct oil is bullshit for cartridges. Just go and buy some natural terpenes and mix it with your concentrate under the influence of heat. Let it cool off and fill into your cartridge.

Personally, I can smoke as I do my job and that is the reason for me to have a joint between my fingers all the f*ck*ng day. I like the action of smoking. I always need to have something in my hand that produces smoke. I don't think I can dab continiously and do my job properly at the same time so I prefer using them in cartridges mostly. Or I am just rolling long and slim work joints with cured flower.

If I am chilling out, I can dab till I sleep but that would be very luxurious. You can smoke 1 gram of dab per day. 2 grams? No problem. 3 grams? Very possible. It goes on and on and everybody has their own way for medication. Using a cartridge just makes things much more flexible.

Peace :passitleft:

PS: Great guide @Grandpa Tokin btw. I am also using butane and quick wash ethanol extraction methods. QWE extraction is the safest and best method in my opinion. I will go for thc-a diamonds and terp sauce next. I hope I can make that happen :blunt:

Here’s how I made THCa with Diamonds and Sauce using Rosin, if you’re interested:

OK I tried abottle of Everclear with 10 gm of deCarbed Fan leaves and let it soak for a week then filtered it off and Wallah you have a acceptable Green Dragon. I was a little hesitant in the quality of the Green Dragon so I mixed 1/2 a shot glass with lemon aid and ice tea and got a acceptable Buzz.....

I actually started with making green dragon tinctures several years ago. I still like it. Good for you bud!

Here’s how I made THCa with Diamonds and Sauce using Rosin, if you’re interested:

I actually started with making green dragon tinctures several years ago. I still like it. Good for you bud!

Admirable work there Grandpa :bravo:

The problem for me is that I don't have access to rosin pressing devices. My friend in Colorado is pressing like you do and he has amazingly clean stuff but it is unfortunate that I won't be able to produce solventless extracts.

I am mainly extracting with ethanol. I am doing quick washes and getting a clean shatter. I saw some people getting that diamonds and sauce with butane and propane open blast method and I have access to the equipment for the blast. I need to find some information on making diamonds/sauce with this method. The final product that seperated from the sauce looks like this;

I think you have to get different products when you use fresh flower or cured nugs. There are two main looks for thc-a crystals. One type looks like yours(pressed) and the other looks like the ones above. I hope I can find a way to make at least one type of thca :lot-o-toke:

I just took these two. I’m now buckled in and ready for the ride. These are from the purple oil I made last week. I took two last night and it was quite a ride for almost 6 hours. I’m expecting the same today. Let the games begin! :woohoo:

Admirable work there Grandpa :bravo:

The problem for me is that I don't have access to rosin pressing devices. My friend in Colorado is pressing like you do and he has amazingly clean stuff but it is unfortunate that I won't be able to produce solventless extracts.

I am mainly extracting with ethanol. I am doing quick washes and getting a clean shatter. I saw some people getting that diamonds and sauce with butane and propane open blast method and I have access to the equipment for the blast. I need to find some information on making diamonds/sauce with this method. The final product that seperated from the sauce looks like this;

I think you have to get different products when you use fresh flower or cured nugs. There are two main looks for thc-a crystals. One type looks like yours(pressed) and the other looks like the ones above. I hope I can find a way to make at least one type of thca :lot-o-toke:

I need to update this post. An elder grower fellow advised me a method to get some diamonds with open blast. Apparently I need to learn a few tricks to make diamonds and sauce. I will be away for a month, starting from next weekend, so I will be posting here when I come back. It is time for extraction in my home. I am after pure stuff :cough:

Ahoy my friend,
My unscheduled stays at our local VA hospital are over for the foreseeable future and I have returned to my garden. The meds you helped me make were smuggled in and I avoided the narcotics. Amazing when you consider the notion of being better off by bringing your own medicine for a hospital stay. :peace:

Again, many thanks

Ahoy my friend,
My unscheduled stays at our local VA hospital are over for the foreseeable future and I have returned to my garden. The meds you helped me make were smuggled in and I avoided the narcotics. Amazing when you consider the notion of being better off by bringing your own medicine for a hospital stay. :peace:

Again, many thanks

You gotta love the VA... :rofl: I’m so happy you don’t need the stuff they handout. I was addicted to opiates and other crap and that’s all they kept giving me. Weed really helped me get over that stuff. Although, it was seriously hard to get off those “meds.”

You’re awesome brother! :peace:

Nice thread , Im saving my pucks for a rinse, just need plate and pyrex which is easy..... Grain alcohol, hard to get here.
Need a man with a still who likes a cut of oil...... Lol.
Im all for recycling.....

Thought about you while I was typing this into another thread. SQUISH :peace:

Nobody likes to withhold food and water and watch them wilt. But until I figure out how to trick the plant I will just keep almost killing them. The higher yields Im extracting make the case. Even squishing a bud shows the difference. Unstressed buds make smaller rosin piles than the stressed buds, every squish.

My lucky day...I opened a container I thought was empty and voilà, I find some dank. Not sure what it is, but I’ll smash it! Smelled like heavy fuel with a hint of old sock. Surprisingly, It’s good. Stable to the touch immediately. The Rosin tastes like a candy cane with a diesel afterburner. I’m high.

Back
Top Bottom